Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/13/2010 6:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My bottom line is "am I learning how to be a better fighter?". I started paying a lot more when I switched from my friend's JJJ dojo to BJJ ($60 a month to $120), now I'm paying more at my new BJJ school ($150). But if you got a time machine and pulled earlier versions of me out of those other classes I would pwn them. So I pay. If you are getting good training don't begrudge the owner a few payouts (uniforms and such) it keeps the roof over everyone's heads and the lights on. Constant grading is kind of bogus though, I prefer the honesty of a monthly fee over "hidden tuition" in grading costs. The end equation is the same however...is it worth it?

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 3:08am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys, it sounds like I've led a very sheltered life financially at the Aikido classes (for which I find myself retrospectively grateful). I can relax a bit on the money side and concentrate on the important stuff now.

Quote Originally Posted by iopyud View Post
    2.) Just ask him if you get to learn new stuff even if you don't advance in grades.
    The instructor was very clear to us that gradings are optional. He'd like us to grade, but is happy for us to train/learn indefinitely without grading.

Quote Originally Posted by karma2343 View Post
    Wait, who is your JKD/FMA lineage under? Because as an Inosanto guy I know nothing of FMA ranks.
    I asked 1st week, so memory is hazy but I think we are 2 generations below Ralph Jones, who I believe is an Inosanto Full instructor. (His was the name I recognised) My teacher's instructor (name escapes) is an Inosanto Apprentice instructor, while my teacher is training under him (and claiming nothing more) I'll ask again next class.

Its my understanding (newb alert!) that Inosanto's only official grading system is the Apprentice/Associate/Full/Senior Instructor certificates, but from what I've seen online it is common enough for some of his students to use belt systems in their own organisations.

To be fair, I think this grading system is just a way of setting goals and progress markers within their organisation. I don't imagine any of the non-Japanese arts having internationally recognised kyu style grading system. They've not claimed any different.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammar View Post
    What does the grading system look like?
    I don't know about the whole system, as gradings have only just been mentioned, but this first one appears to be just feeding systems and some drills. I'll let you know once I've done one.

I'l have a chat with my teacher next lesson. I can explain my furious frowning expression from last time we talked, and he can laugh at me.

"is it worth it?" From a fighting perspective I won't know for a while, but at the moment just my level of enjoyment is definitely worth it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 8:48am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ex PTK, currently boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignorami View Post
    I don't know about the whole system, as gradings have only just been mentioned, but this first one appears to be just feeding systems and some drills. I'll let you know once I've done one.
    The reason I ask is because grading in FMA is pretty unusual from what I know. Only grading system I've heard of is the PTK instructor's grading, which only matters if you wish to become an instructor. But maybe in this case this is more of a JKD thing rather than an FMA thing.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12