Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 10:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, Wrestling, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Am I at risk at over training? Emevas?

I have been training the hardest I have ever been prepping for grappling tournaments and my first amateur mma fight. Right now I'm doing Westside 3 times a week. In the gym 5 times a week working on striking and grappling and also working on agility training 3 times a week. With two interval endurance workouts. I'm eating like a horse and I have good coaching but I'm a bit worried about over training.

I know heavy sets in weight lifting and agility training are very demanding on your nervous system but are they different enough that I won’t be won’t be over doing it? I have access to good skill coaches but I can't afford a strength and conditioning coach so I'm doing that my own.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 11:06pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when is your tourny and when is your fight?

you might be over training, even if you are "eating like a horse". what is your diet like? and what is your workout schedule day by day.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2010 3:53am

Style: MMA / BJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The real question is how do you feel?

People can work up to huge amounts of work without overtraining. Just keep an eye out for the symptoms and adjust if necessary.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/13/2010 11:17am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NBEOTM View Post
    I have been training the hardest I have ever been prepping for grappling tournaments and my first amateur mma fight. Right now I'm doing Westside 3 times a week. In the gym 5 times a week working on striking and grappling and also working on agility training 3 times a week. With two interval endurance workouts. I'm eating like a horse and I have good coaching but I'm a bit worried about over training.

I know heavy sets in weight lifting and agility training are very demanding on your nervous system but are they different enough that I won’t be won’t be over doing it? I have access to good skill coaches but I can't afford a strength and conditioning coach so I'm doing that my own.
    Westside Barbell is a program to be run in and of itself. Running it on top of heavy skill training is absurd.

Are you doing Westside Barbell for Skinny Bastards instead? That's a little more feasible, but even still, you are effectively training 13 times a week, or twice a day, everyday.

If you feel you are overtraining (ie, you are making no progress, or you are in a constant state of fatigue or injury) stop. If you are some sort of genetic mutant fortunate enough to continue benefitting from this sort of training, I would advocate careful monitoring.

If I were in your situation, I'd cut the strength training down to twice a week or 3 times in 2 weeks (Week 1: Monday/Friday, Week 2: Wednesay, Repeat). Westside barbell trains strength, hypertrophy, and power, ala conjugate periodization. You really don't need this, as you are gaining power and endurance from your skill and agility training, and as a combat athlete, you don't want unnecessary hypertrophy gains. I'd switch your training to a maximal strength training program. Something simple like

Squat
    Dip
    Chin

Or if you want 2 days of training do the above and

Deadlift
    Overhead press (your choice)
    BB or DB row
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    7/13/2010 3:02pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am running westside for skinny bastards I'm Just over 205lbs and I would like to be around 215-220 and cutting before competing. Um so far everything is improving by leaps and bounds. I was thinking I was going to drop my endurance training for now since the classes I attend already keep me in good shape. But I was lifting monday wednesday and friday. skill training monday-thursday and saturday morning. And using my agility training as a warm up.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/13/2010 3:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, if you can continue to make progress, more power to you.

Which WS4SB version are you following?
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    7/13/2010 6:54pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Well, if you can continue to make progress, more power to you.

Which WS4SB version are you following?
    I was on a standard westside training program for about a year, I am now on the 1st version of WS4SB

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/13/2010 7:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NBEOTM View Post
    I was on a standard westside training program for about a year, I am now on the 1st version of WS4SB
    The first one definitely allows for more continual progress compared to the present one, good choice.
    "Emevas,