222236 Bullies, 4166 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 45
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Pen is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    57

    Posted On:
    7/11/2010 11:46pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jiu/ju/kettlebells/cma

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chainpunch View Post
    Nice esay except that the language is Cantonese not Mandarin.
    I know that quite well, and I state that the examples are in Mandarin; the point is exactly the same, but its a lot easier to illustrate with Mandarin examples, since almost everyone has seen both Pe King and Bei Jing used, and almost everyone with a CMA background will have seen pakuachang baguazhang. Do you have an example to offer with Cantonese that you think illustrates the point better, or did you honestly think that I didn't know the difference between the two dialects, given the background details I've provided in this thread?

    Once again, the point is exactly the same and makes no difference between Mandarin and Cantonese.
  2. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,786

    Posted On:
    7/12/2010 12:01am

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chainpunch View Post
    Nice esay except that the language is Cantonese not Mandarin.
    This is just as bad as what fights4peace did to you.
  3. W. Rabbit is offline
    W. Rabbit's Avatar

    insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Work
    Posts
    7,893

    Posted On:
    7/12/2010 12:20am

    supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pen View Post

    ...lots of great info....
    Thanks for taking the time to type all that out.

    So...how developed is your earthbending Pen?

    Can you do this yet: YouTube- earth bending test
  4. chainpunch is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh/ Durham, NC
    Posts
    562

    Posted On:
    7/12/2010 9:29am

    Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: Wing Chun

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pen View Post
    I know that quite well, and I state that the examples are in Mandarin; the point is exactly the same, but its a lot easier to illustrate with Mandarin examples, since almost everyone has seen both Pe King and Bei Jing used, and almost everyone with a CMA background will have seen pakuachang baguazhang. Do you have an example to offer with Cantonese that you think illustrates the point better, or did you honestly think that I didn't know the difference between the two dialects, given the background details I've provided in this thread?

    Once again, the point is exactly the same and makes no difference between Mandarin and Cantonese.
    Mandarin has standard Romanization the old western way W-G or pinyin but Cantonese does not have any official Romanization. My real point is its more of a dialect problem than spelling.
    You have obviously studied something I dont what to sound like I am picking apart your explanation but the fact is the main contributor to different spelling is different language. If you think everyone in Mainland China speaks Mandarin you need to visit China and you will find most people over 30ish have not been schooled in Putonghau and most people of different regions have their own language. Wade-Giles, Romanized Chinese before the Chinese Government officially propagated pinyin so the Chinese sampling was not of Modern Standardized Mandarin or MSM. Pe-King sounds like Cantonese Pba-Kging is more the cause than a linguistic mishap. Fact is there are two major common languages in China today but within the two there are numerous dialects that give reason for variations in spelling.

    http://sino-platonic.org/complete/sp...ng_beijing.pdf
  5. Pen is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    57

    Posted On:
    7/12/2010 2:15pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jiu/ju/kettlebells/cma

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, Cantonese does have systems of romanization, they are not the "official" systems of the Chinese government, but since Cantonese is not the official language/dialect of China, that's not surprising. There are however several systems of romanizing Cantonese that are commonly used in scholarly/academic circles, which are "standard". If you can cite a system that romanizes that Mandarin "jia" as Cantonese "ga" than state which one it is; if you're just saying you think it should be spelled that way, and have no reasons for saying so other than you speak that language (do you? and if so are you a native speaker? Of which region?), then you're missing the point.

    I don't understand you're point about "Pe King" at all; you're aware that that is a system for transcribing Mandarin only and NOT Cantonese, right? I mean, that's stated in the very paper you link to (btw, 1990? Can we say dated much? I particularly laughed at the bit about Western scholars and libraries exclusively using W-G; even by 1990 that wasn't true.

    In fact, there are more than two major dialects spoken in China today; again, if you read the paper you cited, you would realize that. Actually I have visited China, pretty silly of you to assume I haven't, and yes, lots of people speak something other than Mandarin as their lingua franca; when I was in Guang Dong it was Cantonese, albeit spoken different in Tai Shan than Fo Shan. No one over 30 speaking putonghua is a bit of an exaggeration, most people I met up to about 60 could at least get by in it, and even understand my rusty accent.

    What's really perverse, is you're actually agreeing with my original point to white rabbit. Nothing you wrote below has much of anything to do with what I'm saying.

    Now that I have enough posts on Bullshido, I believe the PM feature is enabled. If you want to continue arguing about this, I suggest (as I did previously to WR) that we take this to PM, as this has nothing to do with the thread and precious little to do with martial arts.

    Quote Originally Posted by chainpunch View Post
    Mandarin has standard Romanization the old western way W-G or pinyin but Cantonese does not have any official Romanization. My real point is its more of a dialect problem than spelling.
    You have obviously studied something I dont what to sound like I am picking apart your explanation but the fact is the main contributor to different spelling is different language. If you think everyone in Mainland China speaks Mandarin you need to visit China and you will find most people over 30ish have not been schooled in Putonghau and most people of different regions have their own language. Wade-Giles, Romanized Chinese before the Chinese Government officially propagated pinyin so the Chinese sampling was not of Modern Standardized Mandarin or MSM. Pe-King sounds like Cantonese Pba-Kging is more the cause than a linguistic mishap. Fact is there are two major common languages in China today but within the two there are numerous dialects that give reason for variations in spelling.

    http://sino-platonic.org/complete/sp...ng_beijing.pdf
  6. W. Rabbit is offline
    W. Rabbit's Avatar

    insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Work
    Posts
    7,893

    Posted On:
    7/12/2010 2:43pm

    supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow a thread on a bad movie became a great debate on Asian languages...I'm enjoying this thread more than any so far.
  7. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,786

    Posted On:
    7/12/2010 2:47pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, because of your ignorance. Can you ever not say something that causes a derail. No, you aikido thread is about to be derailed due to your stupid comment on wrestlers.
  8. W. Rabbit is offline
    W. Rabbit's Avatar

    insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Work
    Posts
    7,893

    Posted On:
    7/12/2010 3:08pm

    supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Yes, because of your ignorance. Can you ever not say something that causes a derail. No, you aikido thread is about to be derailed due to your stupid comment on wrestlers.
    I'm working on it.
  9. Odacon is offline
    Odacon's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,627

    Posted On:
    7/12/2010 3:40pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This trolljob is obvious now, you're not even trying.
  10. W. Rabbit is offline
    W. Rabbit's Avatar

    insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Work
    Posts
    7,893

    Posted On:
    7/12/2010 3:44pm

    supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon View Post
    This trolljob is obvious now, you're not even trying.
    Can you contribute more to the Cantonese vs. Mandarin discussion or stfu. I am learning a lot from this thread.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.