Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 12:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: KickBoxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Vovinam - Canoga Park, CA

I am currently enrolled in Vovinam in Canoga Park.

Vovinam is a flashy Vietnamese martial arts - a normal vovinam school will focus a lot of attention to demonstration with flashy moves like jumping leg scissors and staged fights. Fortunately, this studio does very little of that. It is more in line of an open club; there are instructors who came from (and fluent in) kick boxing, taekwondo, wingchun, judo, and jiu jitsu. The primary training is more of a kick boxing class with judo and jiu jitsu supplement; the only part retained from Vovinam are forms and basic techniques required for a belt promotion.

The class is always high energy and extremely cheap; however, the draw back are too many kids, old equipments, and high ratio of students per instructor (average class is 30+ participants with 3 or 4 instructors).

However, the wide range of instruction is unlike any other studios i've participated in and the dedication of instructors is unsurpassed (all of them volunteered to teach without payment). Overall, a very decent place to train.
    Last edited by sinningmonk; 7/13/2010 10:40am at .

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/13/2010 9:56am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Due to the aliveness rating, I believe a lot of people are going to reply to this post.

Posted On:
    7/13/2010 10:06am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ??? I thought the aliveness rating was for how many students there are in the class, as in "more students the class would be more lively"... [=

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    7/13/2010 10:34am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sinningmonk View Post
    ??? I thought the aliveness rating was for how many students there are in the class, as in "more students the class would be more lively"... [=
    First the link to the ratings, what they mean, and some examples are here: RATING AND YOU - READ THIS BEFORE POSTING YOUR REVIEW - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Second, aliveness refers to a degree of full contact sparring, a ten would be a full contact high quality MMA gym, I believe one of the American Top Team gyms qualified for a ten, but there have only been a handful of legit tens since the rating system started.

Please read the link I posted and rethink your ratings.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Posted On:
    7/13/2010 10:41am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, thank you for showing me the link, it really helped... I've changed it accordingly [=

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/13/2010 12:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats funny.. hahahha. My club only gets a 5 in aliveness because 50% of the people die!!!! How ALIVE is your club?

How is the sparring done at this school? 30 dollars a month is very cheap no matter what kind of training you get.

Posted On:
    7/13/2010 12:35pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I rated according to the link... 6-7: Medium contact with excessive safety gear. The official (Vovinam) sparring rule at my school is: full-gear (body armor, close finger gloves (10oz), mouth and shin guard), no elbow, no knee, no groin or back of the neck attack, no small joints lock, take down without grappling, no attack when partner is down. Besides the Vovinam sparring team, there is also the MMA team; this team spars using official UFC rules and gears. However, because the facility is shared with 3 other martial arts classes, we cannot install a ring. $30 a month is definitely cheap. But since we share the studio with 3 other classes, rent is cheaper; and luckily, all of the instructor are well off and can afford to teach for free. $30 price is to make it affordable for local kids who are less fortunate than others - parents contribute by donating time or money. More on sparring, i don't believe any of the students have competed in an MMA match. But the Vovinam sparring team have competed in state, national, and international Vovinam competition. There are a few students who take WTF on the side and compete in city competition. [=
    Last edited by sinningmonk; 7/13/2010 12:47pm at .

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/13/2010 1:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doesn't sound too bad. Really, 90% of the discussion in this forum section is on how valid and accurate the assessment is and yours is definitely one of the more accurate-sounding ones.

Posted On:
    7/13/2010 3:02pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand. I have been to many classes that advertise they train with this or that person, or they say they train with this or that style/way... participate in the actual class and find out the truth been stretched into a sugar coated lie.