Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/09/2010 4:48am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bare Knuckle Boxing Hall of Fame

I posted about this in the Western MA Forum, but it's too good not to share here under the "general martial arts" banner. Basically, a group of volunteers in a tiny town in NY state have rediscovered and reconstructed wrestling legend William Muldoon's old training camp, where (among other things) Muldoon trained the great John L. Sullivan for his world title bare-knuckle boxing fight against Jake Kilrain in 1889.

Apparently the old barns were just closed up and abandoned after that fight and left pretty much undisturbed throughout the 20th century, so they still hold a lot of Muldoon's original equipment. The buildings have recently been rehabbed into a bare-knuckle boxing museum and hall of fame.

Check out the article and video clips at http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/20...-hall-of-fame/ .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/09/2010 9:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a wicked find,thanks DdlR, you are good at digging things like this up. This place would certainly be worth a visit.
    Do you know if there is a Euro version of a Bare-Knuckle HoF somewhere? In Great Britain, perhaps? You would think there would be something.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/09/2010 9:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I can't think of anything like this in Europe. You're right, with all that history you'd think there would be something ...

There's the Self Defence Gallery at the Royal Armouries Museum in Leeds, but I'm not sure if they have any boxing exhibits there.

Posted On:
    11/10/2010 4:36am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    No, I can't think of anything like this in Europe. You're right, with all that history you'd think there would be something ...

There's the Self Defence Gallery at the Royal Armouries Museum in Leeds, but I'm not sure if they have any boxing exhibits there.
    Agreed.

The Load of Hay in Haverstock Hill, a Boxing pub (many were) was used by "Cassius Clay" before he fought Henry Cooper. It's something of a gastro-pub these days. I dont' think the gym is still there.

Terry Lawless also used a pub, "The Royal Oak" I think.

Joe Bugner used "The Enkel Arms" in Seven Sisters Road, Holloway, as part of his comeback. I think the Ring etc has now been moved out and, again, the gym closed down.

Jim McDonnell used a pub in Camden High Street - it's currently called "The Blues Kitchen" (it's gone through a few changes but originally used to be called "The Brighton" and was the base of the gangster Billy Hill, who was alleged to be the senior Underworld figure in London during the 1950s.

The most famous was "The Thomas A'Beckett" in the Old Kent Road. Used by Henry Cooper and many others. It was saved by Gary Davidson before he developed MS and Passed Away. It's now shutdown.

So, the connection between Boxing and Pubs used to be a strong one and often included many famous photos etc on the walls. That's all gone nowadays.

Amateurs and Pros were forbidden to train together (it was contrary to the amateur ethos of the BBB of C (and a strong paternalistic snob element to keep the working class in their place, donchaknow)). Places like Repton have historic photos on their walls but this reflects the boxers who achieved ABA titles, England rep, Olympic rep etc.

I'm unaware of any Museum of Bareknuckle Boxers - unless the Museum of London might throw something up. There is a monument to Tom Sayer in Highgate Cemetery. 25,000 people are said to have marched behind his cortege. His dog refused to leave the graveside.

That's about it.

Minor point. I visited the Royal Artillery Barracks at Woolwich and amidst their regimental trophies etc was the Gold Belt of Bombardier Billy Wells. The guide knew nothing so...I had to inform her a little. (Yes, I can be a bore).

:biggrin:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2010 4:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's kind of sad that so much combat sport history goes un-commemorated in any tangible way; also that so many of these small special-interest museums are located in remote areas. There's a terrific wrestling museum and hall of fame in a little college town called Stillwater, OK, and a great preserved 19th century gym in the Hegeler Carus mansion in LaSalle, IL.

I hope the BKB Hall of Fame will get the support it deserves.