Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 2:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    cycles are unnecessary. the whole adapting to heavy lifting idea is negated by increasing the weight, otherwise known as strength training.
    I wouldn't say it's unnecessary. Linear periodization was very successful in the soviet bloc. Of course, most casual trainees don't have the benefits of a rigid lifestyle oriented entirely around training, so conjugate periodization comes into play there.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/13/2010 2:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    but at this point I would have thought that he would still be able to progress via a normal progressive strength program. It is unlikely that he would adapt and stop progressing to the extent og the post I responded to (imo)
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2010 10:01am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Progressive loading is important regardless what type of training you are doing (high or low reps/sets) but if you are training for combat sports you should probably focus on more than just strength or hypertrophy training. Most fighting styles require a bit of everything like endurance, strength, speed, explosive power and core strength all while you are maxing out your cardio. It won't make you look like a bodybuilder but you'll still get bigger by cycling exercise routines with crossfit and you'll be a lot fitter and well rounded. Check out www.fightauthority.com , there are some great workouts on there (a lot of them seem to have incorporated some element of crossfit). Worth checking out if you are looking to mix things up.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/13/2010 11:26am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Vlad View Post
    Progressive loading is important regardless what type of training you are doing (high or low reps/sets) but if you are training for combat sports you should probably focus on more than just strength or hypertrophy training. Most fighting styles require a bit of everything like endurance, strength, speed, explosive power and core strength all while you are maxing out your cardio. It won't make you look like a bodybuilder but you'll still get bigger by cycling exercise routines with crossfit and you'll be a lot fitter and well rounded. Check out www.fightauthority.com , there are some great workouts on there (a lot of them seem to have incorporated some element of crossfit). Worth checking out if you are looking to mix things up.
    I feel like a combat athlete will benefit way more by training their endurance and power (I don't quite know why you differentiated between speed and power) via skill training due to the law of specificity. You only have so much time to train, and weight training should be supplemental to skill training, rather than the other way around. Time spent in the weight room training endurance and power could be much better invested on the mat/in the ring actually working on endurance and power as it directly applies to the sport. You'll get your best boxing endurance by training boxing, and the further you deviate, the less carryover you'll get. It's the same reason that people that excell at one sport will not have the cardio for a different sport when they first start.

Maximal strength is one of those things that you can't really safely train along with skill set. You could potentially fight/grapple with people heavier than you, and progressively increase the weight of your opponents, but aside from being unrealistic (you'd have to have the same constant opponent for periods of time and ensure his weight/skill does not increase), it's also potentially dangerous. Here is where weight room training is a greater benefit, due to the standardization and safety. I feel that one should spend their limited time in the weight room improving maximal strength, rather than either spreading themselves too thin during their weight trainnig, or spending way more time weight training than skill training.
    "Emevas,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2010 7:05pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    How are you measuring size? Are you using a tape measurer, or are you simply "eyeballing it"?

If it's the latter, realize you see yourself everyday in the mirror, and will be unable to notice gradual changes. Don't be unscientific, use quantifiable measurements.
    I am just seeing it as it seems and the only difference I really see is my waist seem to get smaller =.= I think I need to get my eyes checked again.

so i should just get a ruler and measure arms and chest?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/13/2010 7:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get a measuring tape.
    "Emevas,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 2:35pm

Style: BJJ/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by truepwrz View Post
    I am just seeing it as it seems and the only difference I really see is my waist seem to get smaller =.= I think I need to get my eyes checked again.

so i should just get a ruler and measure arms and chest?
    measuring tape and eat more. If your waist is "getting smaller" either perportionally you are filling out in the shoulders and possibly thighs making it look like your waist is smaller or you aren't eating enough. If you put on 17 lbs of muscle then you are definitely getting bigger. Maybe you are just too used to seeing hypertrophic growth in the "muscle magazines" remember the workouts in those magazines are designed specifically to make you look huge, not performance enhancement/supplement. Stick to your program, change it up a little once in awhile if it feels stale, keep adding weight and you will be fine.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 3:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by smillard View Post
    measuring tape and eat more. If your waist is "getting smaller" either perportionally you are filling out in the shoulders and possibly thighs making it look like your waist is smaller or you aren't eating enough. If you put on 17 lbs of muscle then you are definitely getting bigger. Maybe you are just too used to seeing hypertrophic growth in the "muscle magazines" remember the workouts in those magazines are designed specifically to make you look huge, not performance enhancement/supplement. Stick to your program, change it up a little once in awhile if it feels stale, keep adding weight and you will be fine.
    Well, actually the workouts in those magazines are designed to make you buy more magazines.

Most of them are junk, written by ghost writers, and tend to only work for the chemically assisted.
    "Emevas,

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 10:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The title of this thread implies that the OP is increasing in density. I fear that without intervention, he will become a black hole that devours the Earth. To forestall this disaster, it is imperative that the OP avoid the electromagnetic interference patterns generated by mirrors of any sort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 10:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    The title of this thread implies that the OP is increasing in density. I fear that without intervention, he will become a black hole that devours the Earth. To forestall this disaster, it is imperative that the OP avoid the electromagnetic interference patterns generated by mirrors of any sort.

Posts like these remind me that I'm getting my masters in politics.
    "Emevas,
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast