Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greens my man! Greens!

Colards

Chard

Mustard

Kale

Beet

Dandelion

These are usually @ $1 - $2 a bunch, which will make between 3-5 meals.

Anahiem and Pablano peppers are a very cheap alternative to bells.
    Mexican squashes are also a cheap alternative to Zuchini.

I like to throw some onion into that ix as well.

Saute, and season lightly to taste. Excellent nutrition and fiber for pocket change. Literally! This will be at least a third of your meal. If it is not heavy enough to satyisfy, fry two pieces of bacon, and then ad the veggies, allowing everything to fry in the "fat back".

Safeway also has large baguettes, sourdough, and dutch crunch loaves for $2 or less. I only eat one fat slice of that a day, so the $2 goes far! It is also good for sopping up any juices that run out of your meat an veggies. This way, no nutrition is lost. When you've only got a couple dollars a day for food, that stuff counts!

Protein can be had for cheap if you're willing to look for it. (I once survived for months on "hog Jowel". 79 cents a pound baby!) I also ate a lot of "Swai" which is VERY cheap. http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/c...t.aspx?fid=228
    I actually though it was better than our domestic Catfish. Better texture, and it takes very well to seasoning.

Fish sauce can be used to kick up the protein in your meal a little. Be "sparing" with it, more than a few drops, and you're in "funky town". xp

With the money you've saved on inexpensive bread, veggies, and meat, you can invest in fresh fruits.

This was my "starvation diet" mind you. I was not eating any junk food, soft drinks, dairy ect. and only getting one decent meal a day. So I could eat bacon, or steak for the protein portion, and I was still losing fat.

If you keep the dairy and the carb's to a minimum, you can even eat red meat daily and not get constipated, as long as you are ingesting a LOT of those fruits and veggies.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 3:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    apples and bananas.

Buy some tortilla shells and make some peanut butter/banana tortillas. Great for lunch and relatively cheap.

Potatoes are also cheap.

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 3:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I almost forgot!

Beans an rice!

Tastes like paste, feels like wet cement, but will sustain a man for pennies a day.

Goes great with the protein of your choosing and some spices.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 4:44pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honey ma man, honey. Seriously, no wonder that the bees are such tough little suckers when they eat this stuff in winter.
    Helps with the immunity, has a lots of calories (good calories), and is full of god-knows-which-other-good-stuff. Cheap as dirt, too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 10:07pm

Style: Freestyle Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when i started to exercise i was refereed to this link

Habit 1: Eat every 2-3 hours.

Habit 2: Eat complete, lean protein with each feeding opportunity.

Habit 3: Eat vegetables with each feeding opportunity.

Habit 4: Eat veggies/fruits with any meal. Eat "other carbs" only after exercise.

Habit 5: Eat healthy fats daily.

Habit 6: Don't drink beverages (soda, beer, etc.) with more than 0 calories.

Habit 7: Eat whole foods whenever possible.

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...EA5EA-hg.hydra

i eat off $25/week

milk
    4 varieties of green/veggies
    2-3 varieties of fruit
    eggs
    tuna
    10 skinless chicken breast
    cheese, bread,

its decent for a poor man clean food. not sure about bulking. good luck

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 10:09pm

Style: Freestyle Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoist View Post
    Honey ma man, honey. Seriously, no wonder that the bees are such tough little suckers when they eat this stuff in winter.
    Helps with the immunity, has a lots of calories (good calories), and is full of god-knows-which-other-good-stuff. Cheap as dirt, too.

never knew this you should post some links very interesting

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2010 2:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoGroinNoKrav View Post
    It would be possible for me to have a higher budget but I wanted to start BJJ which would be 100 a month plus the 100 from Krav. I thought it would be better and I still workout.

I just wanted to get some cheap foods to supplement what I eat at home (whatever my parents buy) I live at home so its good, but my parents don't buy the healthiest foods.
    Your enthusiasm for training is admirable but I suggest that you rethink your priorities. Gym memberships and MA training are luxuries, food is a necessity. So, a few suggestions if I may.

First, cancel the gym membership. You can exercise at home for free and if you're already enrolled in school ("do some college stuff" doesn't make it clear to me if You're attending or still looking for one) you probably have free access to on-campus gym facilities.Second, you might want to make a choice between BJJ and krav, partly for financial reasons, partly because studying two such disparate arts this early in your career may be confusing, and partly because balancing training, a new job and school will likely burn you out at some point. Use the money you save to buy all the decent foods that have been suggested so far. Not only will your diet improve but your parents' may as well, and you'll feel better about yourself for contributing to the household.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 8:26pm

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dougguod View Post
    Your enthusiasm for training is admirable but I suggest that you rethink your priorities. Gym memberships and MA training are luxuries, food is a necessity. So, a few suggestions if I may.

First, cancel the gym membership. You can exercise at home for free and if you're already enrolled in school ("do some college stuff" doesn't make it clear to me if You're attending or still looking for one) you probably have free access to on-campus gym facilities.Second, you might want to make a choice between BJJ and krav, partly for financial reasons, partly because studying two such disparate arts this early in your career may be confusing, and partly because balancing training, a new job and school will likely burn you out at some point. Use the money you save to buy all the decent foods that have been suggested so far. Not only will your diet improve but your parents' may as well, and you'll feel better about yourself for contributing to the household.
    x2. Also if you are in college, look at what they have for meal plans, financial assistance, etc. Meal plans can be pretty cheap and depending on the college, have awesome foods.

Look at your priorities, and evaluate what's truly necessary.

John

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 9:14pm

Style: Enshin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I survived on nothing but ham, turkey, roast beef and a lot of bread for about two weeks. it was cheap but you'll get sick of it in about two days. I guess you could try that when you become too lazy to cook or dont have the time for it

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 6:24pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe you can cancle the Krav and keep up the BJJ! trust me BJJ is awesome and the extra money from the krav...will you do the math :) BJJ is GREAT

this is how ever just MY opinnion
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast