Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2010 7:39pm

Style: Judo super noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Healthy eating with no money.

I start working on the 14th and with martial arts training to pay for and a gym membership I will have probably..... 100 dollars a month to spend on food if I choose to.

I would really like to get my diet in order so my weight training does not go to waste. So I need cheap food to help me get the good protien, fats, and carbs. I know of a few tricks like peanut butter for bulk since its high calorie for a low serving.

I'm probably going to cut a little fat. I'm 170 Ibs, 5'6, and 18 years old. I'm, not a fan of red meat and I doubt I would be able to afford it anyway.

I'm just looking for a list of cheap foods, like tuna

Posted On:
    7/11/2010 9:20pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is the answer to all your problems. Enjoy ;)
    http://www.delish.com/recipes/cookin...ood-trash-0309

Posted On:
    7/11/2010 10:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Assuming you have a car, I suggest getting a membership to Costco or something similar. If you're in college go halfies with your roommate (they give you 2 cards). There are some key foods in my diet (i.e. Greek Yogurt which has an insane amount of protein and no fat or sugar) that I really can only afford to eat constantly because of this setup. Plus you can buy normal staples like tuna, milk, eggs, peanut butter, etc. at a cheaper rate.

Also: sardines are good and pasta is super-cheap carbs, but if you eat sauce from a jar I swear to god I will track you down and give you a beating. If you don't know how I'll explain, it's very easy, cheaper, tastes infinitely better, and will impress women (just tell them it's your grandmother's recipe, not something some nerd on the internet gave you).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2010 11:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the advice. It would be possible for me to have a higher budget but I wanted to start BJJ which would be 100 a month plus the 100 from Krav. I thought it would be better and I still workout.

I just wanted to get some cheap foods to supplement what I eat at home (whatever my parents buy) I live at home so its good, but my parents don't buy the healthiest foods.

Is soy protien isolate a nay on these fourms? Picking up some of those could help my diet a bit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2010 11:38pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regarding soy/tofu as a protein substitute, you might want to read this article.

http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/avoid_soy.htm

If you're looking to supplant red meat as a source of protein, 10 years ago I would have recommended fish. However, they seem to be too filled with mercury these days. Beans and nuts are the most logical choice to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2010 11:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    guess I'll buy lots of peanuts, some tubs of whey, tuna, anything else that can be stored in a cabinet?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2010 11:56pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't forget there's all kinds of nuts besides peanuts; cashews, walnuts, Brazil nuts, etc. just in case peanuts gets monotonous.

I also thought about making a lame joke about saving on gym membership by using cans of beans instead of dumbbells.

But it's really not appropriate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 12:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ehh i am allergic to a few nuts so its pretty much just cashews and peanuts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 1:30am

Style: The grapply boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in the same boat, and I basically live off of eggs, potatoes, oatmeal, and stews/soups made outta random ****. Steel Cut Oats, also known in some stores as Irish or Scottish Oatmeal, is really good for energy and putting on mass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 2:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well I'm gonna cut off a bit of body fat first. Ahh but first I need to get a paycheck lol. Not to mention pay my krav teacher. He has been letting me go for free for the past week.

Then I gotta get a car to travel for BJJ training though lucky for me the gym is a walk a way. quite a little walk but still a walk.

Oh yeah and then I have to do some college stuff. Forgot all about school.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast