Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 4:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What you're calling a drop seoi nage is just a seoi nage. There's not really any need to put drop in front of it.

I posted it before but this Kodokan Nage waza video spells it all out very clearly and unambiguously.

YouTube- seoi otoshi tai otoshi

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 4:09pm

Style: Lifting heavy stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember the first time that i got properly Judowned. It was during randori against a much smaller, lighter guy from Cypres. He was a very quick and agile player and i remember reaching out for i high collar grip and before i could grab hold of his collar he seized my hand and went stright into a drop ippon seoi nage.

It was perfect like when you do the ippon seio nage in Kata when the opponent goes to strike you with a clubb and you catch his arm then go straight into the ippon seoi nage, i was totally not expecting it and landed straight on my face.

I find that another throw that catches me by suprise is Okuri Ashi Hari. My instructor always uses it but he sort of pulls you round in a circle then does it, but when he gets you with it you just feel you legs fly in the air and your body weight sudddenly drop its a weird sensation.
    Last edited by adskibullus; 7/12/2010 4:13pm at .

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 4:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    What you're calling a drop seoi nage is just a seoi nage. There's not really any need to put drop in front of it.
    I'll be sure to tell that to my coach, my previous coaches, and every goddamned person I've ever met in judo. They'll be glad of your insight.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 4:30pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even if what you say is entirely true to the official, original, technical Kodokan terminology (which I generally have a great deal of respect and appreciation for), “drop seoi nage” has become a very common term for a very common throw. I’m sure we’ll all agree that the point of judo terminology is to effectively communicate about judo with each other—and by that token, using the common name for a common technique is surely a good idea.

For yet another perspective, I’ve been told that what differentiates drop seoi nage and seoi otoshi is chiefly the amount of body contact, where a drop seoi nage, like any seoi nage, has plenty of it, while seoi otoshi is “looser” and uses the extended leg to block uke while the dropping action powers the technique. —Of course the grips will change correspondingly. (I won’t cite the person who told me this because he doesn’t deserve to be held responsible for my misunderstandings…) I am 0% an authority on judo, so take this for what little it is worth.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 4:31pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know, it's a very specific entry with a lot of competitive success. Saying "drop seoi nage" is a lot easier than "the method of performing seoi nage where you lower yourself to or almost to your knees before driving forward and/or rising up", and it's popular enough that a shorthand saves everyone a lot of effort. The only real problem with it that I would see is obscuring the difference between drop seoi nage and seoi otoshi and only if the term is misused.

Ken-ken uchi mata and osoto gari would probably fall under a similar understanding.

Hard to do it with a right knee with no bursa sac or meniscus, though! I'll stick to one-knee seoi otoshi.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 4:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Negation View Post
    I don't know, it's a very specific entry with a lot of competitive success.
    Bingo.

I'll also say that the way I counter a regular ippon seoi nage and a drop are very different. Regular kind gets a te-garuma, drop gets a roll into bow and arrow choke. (Hardly ever pull that one off though.)

Antiquated

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 5:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why oh why does this always happen?

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 6:11pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    Why oh why does this always happen?
    Today I spent large parts of my day sitting around in cafes in London with nothing to entertain me but an internet connection. The result was unbearable pedantry.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 10:22pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    seoi nage otoshi

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 10:34pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT