Style
    Grappling/bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

ranger joe intro

Ok, I have been lurking on this site for a few years now, always reading and never posting. So I finally decided to pop my head out of my gopher hole and introduce myself. I am a full time LEO in NC, and before that was active duty in the ARMY. I just got back into the military (NG). I started martial arts when I was about 12. Me and my brother took KARATE at a local YMCA in Virginia Beach. Of course we couldn't afford GI's so my mom sewed us both our own homeade GI's. Awesome I tell you. I think i had a coffe colored belt (she sewed that to) and my brother had an off yellow belt. Yea...I picked up the chicks. Then when I was a senrior in HS I started TKD in VT. (Blue Wave/Chung Do Kwon). I jumpe dinto competition and did really well. I had delusions of granduer and thought I was awesome. I had a real GI by this time as my mom retired from the gi making buissness (curtons make great gi's). I went to college in the midwest and was first introduced to GJJ by a guy in my freshman class. He was taught GJJ from some guy that learned it in a garage from the gracies (before UFC) or so the story went. He taught lessons for $5 and I took a few lessons. I kick myself for not jumping on that band wagon faster. Then in the Army I took the gracie combatives while it was still in its infancy and was really hooked. I was stationed at Ft. Lewis and Marcelo Alonzo (I may have really messed up the spelling and everything on that name) taught my unit BJJ. After I got out I studied bjj from a few different instructors. I find now with my schedule that I cant get to class (Im at work when every one is in class) so I bought flexi-roll mats and train with a group of guys. Its not ideal but I temper that with privates from a local BB in BJJ when I can afford them. Anyway. I just got off work and im going to bed. Im sorry for the gramatical errors but it is 545 AM. I look forward to learning as much as possible from the wealth of knowledge represented on this site.

RJ

PS-Im looking for advice on the best grappling DVD's around. Both gi and no gi. Also anyone know which online BJJ sites are the best to learn from. I would like to add both as a suppliment (not replacement) for qualified instruction but not sure where I ask those questions. I have to read all the rules first i guess.

And Sadly, I to studied a bit of Systema. I forgot to add that.
    Last edited by ranger joe; 7/11/2010 4:57am at .

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please find pictures of the homemade GIs. Welcome to BS.

Style
    (Beautiful) Spring Roll
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Joe, welcome.

Where exactly do you live?

Did you check out the school/gym review section yet?

Larger BJJ schools/academies usually offer several trainings during the day, so you can train in the morning, during the day or even in the evening.

Search for the nearest school that has a time schedule that fits you - DVD's serve as some extra brain-food, but you need regular training...

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Style
    Grappling/bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I ever find pictures of the gi's i will post them. The awesomeness is to good to pass up. as far as schools there are several in the area, good ones, but most dont have afternoon classes. In fact a lot of them have done away with the morning classes because of lack of interest. Thats why I suppliment with private instruction. I also plan to hit several seminars along the way as well. Im always open to learning new things. I just cant see spening $150 a month and then not being able to even go to classess. I found it was a better deal to get privates once a week. I spend about the same and it works for my schedule. Oh, I almost forgot to answer your question. I live in the Charlotte area.
    Last edited by ranger joe; 7/13/2010 12:32am at .