Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2010 12:23am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Muay Thai "V Block"

So, I've been going to my muay thai gym pretty regularly since Christmas, and been there on and off the previous year. I think they're a pretty good club. Anyway, I sometimes try and find videos of the techniques they teach only to discover that the terminology used is a bit different outside the club. Another minor pet peave is that techniques are taught differently depending on the instructor, but I think this can be a strength as well. While I plan on asking for clarification from other members/instructors, I am looking for a video of this one technique and I can't quite find one that gives detailed instruction on it.

The club calls it "V guard" or "V block". I am searching for a video on this because some details seem different depending on who teaches it. In one version you put both gloves just behind the temples and elbows together in front of your face such that only the forehead is exposed, and in the other version I was taught you put your palms on your forehead, and the rest is the same. In both versions we are stressed to keep our eyes on our opponent and weather the storm ready to attack or teep.

There is more to the technique than what I said, and it seems to me that its possible that one version protects against hooks better while the other more jabs and crosses. Just wondering if anyone has any comment, experience, or links to any instructional videos. And yes I will try and ask the teachers at my club about it some more.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2010 1:31am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So let me get this straight. This is similar to basically the classic covering up, but instead of your arms covering your body, your arms are covering your face(with your elbows pointed forwards)? And you're utilizing both arms to defend at the same time? Would an incoming straight punch hit the your elbow?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2010 10:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could hit your elbow, but more likely will hit your forearms. Yes, it is like covering up, but they emphasize not to curl up and keep looking forward. It doesn't really protect the body at all. Okay, there is one video I have found of this, but he doesn't really explain the V block in the detail I am looking for.
    YouTube- How To Fight: Aggressive Heavy Punch and Muay Thai Clinch

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2010 8:42pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Len muay, taad mala, and taad mala Kwai. They are the traditional guard positions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2010 8:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. Already I get some better illustrations when searching.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2010 11:38pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khun Kao View Post
    Len muay, taad mala, and taad mala Kwai. They are the traditional guard positions.
    Is this elbow block? Sorry I don't know anything about muay thai if my question sounds totally retarded

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 2:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by babo78 View Post
    Is this elbow block? Sorry I don't know anything about muay thai if my question sounds totally retarded
    Should have asked me in a PM I think. Anyway, people aren't exactly lining up to read my threads so the mods probably won't mind except for the fact you bumped this thread up to ask.

Do a google search on the names and you will see images of these blocks. They are done in a ring with gloves on, and may be less effective without. Basically two of those blocks protect the side of the head from hooks, and one protects the face from jabs and crosses. Your forearm or glove does the blocking.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 2:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when describing techniques it is said that pictures and videos help a great deal.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 3:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    when describing techniques it is said that pictures and videos help a great deal.
    I'd have added pictures for the technique in my OP if I could, but I made the post because I couldn't find any and was looking for a reference outside of where I train. I'll post pictures tomorrow of the traditional blocks whose names I was suggested to look up.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 9:06am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Learn 2 Internet. Googling Khun Kao's first response yields a thread from Khun Kao no less with pictures of all these blocks.

LEN MUAY (playing with your hair):

TAAD MALA (Place a flower behind your ear):

TAAD MALA KWAI (place a flower behind your opposite ear):

Source Thread:
    Muay Thai Blocks - Martial Arts Planet
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast