Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/18/2010 2:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While i agreee with the bulk of what you posted, could you elaborate on this:
    It kind of gets progressively harder from the brain to the skull, so a skull won't really crack open like a coconut.
    I have been in gross anatomy classes and we'd cut open skulls and it seemed very much like a coconut.
    The top half of the skull would pull right off with a slurp.
    The dura mater is quite hard to peel away from the bone, however i did not see any "progressive hardening" as the definitions between bone and tissue were quite clear.

While i agree that striking is an unlikely way to break bones, i'll also add the name Corey Hill to the mix, his leg snapped like a twig (even though he was the "kicker").

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    7/18/2010 3:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    There's a lot of differences between a dead bone and a live one though. A live bone is not supported in a position to flex until breaking (if the person is up and fighting you), so a lot of the force of a strike will be translated into moving the bone through space.
    I think that I may have devised a solution to this issue to allow for more realistic bone-break training. It involves suspending a farm animal carcass upright-wise from the dojo ceiling via a system of slings, ropes and pullies.

Call it a 'reality piñata', if you will.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2010 8:25am

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, now this is just getting kinky.

But I like it.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    7/18/2010 8:39am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by helmutlvx View Post
    Well, now this is just getting kinky.

But I like it.
    Kinky? Na, it's just sommat for the younger students to have a bit of fun with. It's like a trip to the petting zoo - but martial.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2010 8:47am

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You were supposed to mention something about the pig wearing makeup and make innuendos that it was my mother.

But we can stay serious, sure.

I suppose with all those pullies and such you could make the arms swing round a bit, eh?

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    7/18/2010 9:20am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by helmutlvx View Post
    You were supposed to mention something about the pig wearing makeup and make innuendos that it was my mother.
    Naw man. Yo mama never did nothing to upset me. :icon_thum

But we can stay serious, sure.

I suppose with all those pullies and such you could make the arms swing round a bit, eh?
    Absoposalutely. White belts to stand on stepladders and impart motion or change direction of motion from time to time.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/18/2010 8:11pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    While i agreee with the bulk of what you posted, could you elaborate on this:

I have been in gross anatomy classes and we'd cut open skulls and it seemed very much like a coconut.
    The top half of the skull would pull right off with a slurp.
    The dura mater is quite hard to peel away from the bone, however i did not see any "progressive hardening" as the definitions between bone and tissue were quite clear.

While i agree that striking is an unlikely way to break bones, i'll also add the name Corey Hill to the mix, his leg snapped like a twig (even though he was the "kicker").
    Then I'll concede to your anatomy knowledge, because mine is exclusively in dead, cleaned bones. What I'd heard about the skull is from one of my anthropology professors who specialized in forensics, and the point was moreso that the brain is positioned in such a way that it doesn't really have free space to shake around in the brain (I guess this is the dura matter). I must be remembering things a bit wrong. I've handled skulls with a transverse cut through them, and I believe the professor was just making the point that the skull in living tissue wasn't as simple as the brain inside a bucket.

Posted On:
    7/18/2010 8:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The meninges has three layers, dura mater is stuck to the bone, the pia mater is against the brain itself and the arachnoid in between.
    http://www.apsu.edu/thompsonj/Anatom...fig.12.20a.jpg
    You do have all sorts of vasculature and cs fluid in between them and they do encase the CNS entirely so that is probably what your prof was referring to.
    The "sacs" are very tough, but the brain itself is pretty easy to remove. Fun stuff!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345