Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/10/2010 5:57pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Trying to confirm or refute a video of a TMA iron palm practioner breaking a leg

I've had a few people claim to me that a video exists of either an MMA or a Kickboxing match that took place in China where an iron palm practitioner beat a thai boxer by breaking his shin with a palm strike/downward open hand block.

As with all myths of this nature no one ever seems to have seen the video themselves or those who claim they have seen it can't remember the name of it. I've done some google and youtube fu and come up with nothing.

I am inclined to chalk this up as typical chunner BS but I figured before I write it off for all eternity as wishful thinking on the part of some TMA practitioners I wanted to go to the experts on BS and see if by some miracle anyone has actually seen this video. Thanks

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/10/2010 6:09pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, it could have happened. Thing is who knows the cause? Was it micro fractures that gave at that instant. Brittle Bone disease? Pre-existing injury?

Yes, it could have been IP. The fact it has only happened once, unlike say an Ezekiel choke or a right cross, puts it in fairytale land for me.

Oh and to your question I have heard multiple variations from an IP practitioner to an internal Chi strike from <insert internal MA> practitioner.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2010 6:40pm

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think there was a video posted a while back of what you described. If not the same event something very similar. I'll do some perusing and try to find it.

Hell, sounds like Yip Man rose from the dead and kicked some ass.

EDIT: My fault I got it totally mixed up. The video I was referring to was of a Wing Chun practitioner sparring a Kickboxer.......
    Last edited by Alucard619; 7/10/2010 6:48pm at .

Posted On:
    7/10/2010 9:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe this is the fight the guy was talking about:

YouTube- Baddest Fight Scenes EVER! - King Boxer - 5 Fingers of Death

P.S. Seriously though, correct me if I'm wrong CMAers, but IP is just form of conditioning that many different Chinese stylists might use, not a fighting style, so if the video exists it'll probably be labelled Wing Chun/Bagua/whatever and not "Iron Palm vs. MT".
    Last edited by maofas; 7/10/2010 9:59pm at .

Posted On:
    7/11/2010 3:04am

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol classic movie. But I do not think its the one I am after. As to your question I've heard mixed answers to it. Some claim it as a part of other styles while some claim it to be a specific martial style unto itself. I expect the answer is somewhere in the middle.

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    7/11/2010 7:40am

supporting member
     Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Iron palm training is not a style in and of itself but a program that many systems trained in to create more power.

I have no idea if I could break someones legs, but if and when I hit people for real, they experience pain and do not like it much.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/11/2010 8:06am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Dale. Everything I researched, unfortunately my Chinese isn't good at all, that has been translated shows it as a type of training that exists in many different styles and many different levels.

IMO kind of like Drunken Fist someone took things from various arts, made up a style and said "OMG it is separate."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2010 10:49am

Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    Iron palm training is not a style in and of itself but a program that many systems trained in to create more power.
    Agreed, I've spoken to many local masters through the years, andone smart reply I still remember, is from my nam wah pai instructor many years ago, when I posed the same question.

His answer, "Iron palm training is no more a shaolin martial art than padwork is a style of boxing".

As to answer your question, there's Youtube videos of qigong competitions where contestants break wooden boards with their palms, then breaking someone's shin from a block is not that far fetched.
    Last edited by Whathappened; 7/11/2010 10:54am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2010 11:27am

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whathappened View Post
    As to answer your question, there's Youtube videos of qigong competitions where contestants break wooden boards with their palms, then breaking someone's shin from a block is not that far fetched.
    Yeah, because there totally aren't boards specifically for breaking. And like, hand bones are totally, like stronger than leg bones.

Liek, wut?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2010 12:32pm

Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by helmutlvx View Post
    Yeah, because there totally aren't boards specifically for breaking. And like, hand bones are totally, like stronger than leg bones.

Liek, wut?
    Obviously didn't view the link...

*sarcasm*
    Yeah, two PLA female officers obviously rigged their board breaking event, and that fail break by the 2nd PLA officer was staged so as not to clue the spectators that they were using breakable boards.

And like its totally impossible for digits to be conditioned to be that tough; nevermind that ballet dancers have been pirouetting, jumping and supporting their entire body weight on only their big toe for centuries across several European civilizations. Yeah! Totally impossible!

It's all rigged I tell you!!!1
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast