Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2010 2:31am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Request for southpaw counter-striking videos.

I would like to humbly request videos or visual aids (I guess text explanations could be possible) on how to purposely create openings during sparring so that when the opponent does a predicted attack to the opening that I may counter-strike them in a certain way. I would like them in southpaw stance.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2010 6:44am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Striking/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might wanna give Machida's instructional DVD a try, I'm not sure where you can get it though.

Posted On:
    7/10/2010 7:48am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The real basic ones you should learn first:

1) Pat down/parry their incoming jab, return straight left.
    2) Opponent is throwing a rear kick, chop out his front supporting leg with your rear leg.
    3) Opponent is throwing jab, cut the angle right outside their lead food and throw a counter left kick to their liver.
    4) When opponent is moving outside your lead leg, unswitched right leg kick or head kick.
    5) When opponent throws straight right, slip and return own straight.

The majority of your counters will come off your power side, there are a few good hook counters too though if you are a fake southpaw.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    7/10/2010 1:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having re-read your OP i realise you are asking something different to what i answered, sorry it was late and i get hit in the head too often.

Basically what you are asking is 'how do i get my opponent to do what i want him to do?" I can tell you how to do it, but if you haven't invested years into your sport you probably won't find it useful. Some of the tricks i use are:

Leave openings in your guard, read your opponent's attack patterns, leave your leg just a little too close to try and bait a leg kick, move towards his power side with the intention of drawing a straight right or right kick, and most importantly.. use feints.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    7/10/2010 2:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Water View Post
    You might wanna give Machida's instructional DVD a try, I'm not sure where you can get it though.
    It's available via YouTube in it's entirety, but Machida demonstrates almost his entire video in an orthodox stance in order to appeal to the masses. He also doesn't really go into a countering all that much. It's still a good watch, though it could've easily been condensed into 2 discs of useful material instead of 4 with lots of filler.

Sang gave a lot of good advice, everything he mentioned in the first post, except for #2, is bread & butter for me.

I'll add, a lot of times I will induce people to throw straight attacks right down the pipe via assuming a square stance with my hands wide (my normal is more bladed with an extended guard).

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 10:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Give number two a try sometime Maofas, its rather soul destroying being dumped on your arse everytime you try to throw a rear kick. I nearly lost one of my fights to a 16 year old just doing this.

Pity you live in the U.S. :(, i'd love to get together and share some ideas.
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 5:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    Give number two a try sometime Maofas, its rather soul destroying being dumped on your arse everytime you try to throw a rear kick. I nearly lost one of my fights to a 16 year old just doing this.

Pity you live in the U.S. :(, i'd love to get together and share some ideas.
    Me too, since I spent most of my life in krotty being as aggressive as possible because I sucked at countering. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't make all the parry & counter stuff we learned work for me like everyone else. It dawned on me only way late when I was already done with krotty competition that it was because everything we drilled was designed with orthodox fighters in mind. We would practice everything both sides...which meant people switched to southpaw/southpaw, instead of sp/orth, which still doesn't make things line up correctly as you know. I've been spending the last few years going back over all the old **** I could never make work, trying to retool it for southpaws and forcing myself to spar as a counterfighter to practice it.

Anyways, about #2, here's a question, is this how you're pulling it off? Guy kicks, you step off-line & block, then nail their leg before they retract it? Just trying to figure out the timing of it, because I'm not going to stand right in front of a round kick trying to react to, and then beat, their kick and I doubt that's how you do it either.

P.S. It wasn't until I took some music lessons in college, learned to read music, and started to understand tempo/beats/time signatures that I started to understand how parry & counter worked in terms of timing. Before I was just trying to do everything faster, to squeeze it in. Now I understand timing/countering isn't about being fast, but rather just putting everything in its correct place much like how notes line up in music. I think most people pick it up instinctively over time by doing and as a result can't directly teach it. I failed to become a guitarist, but those lessons were so worth it in the end. :p
    Last edited by maofas; 7/14/2010 5:32pm at .

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 9:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went through the same dilemma, my first few coaches didn't have a clue. I didn't understand why every time i led with a jab i was getting punished, and every combination i knew started with one.

My biggest breakthrough with converting orthodox counters to southpaw was when i started thinking in terms of sides, not techniques. So instead of jab countering jab, left punch counters their jab (jab in orth, straight left in south). There are a few different ones in southpaw stance but you can convert many of the things you've been shown this way.

the sweep counter:
    This is where being in person helps, i could show you what i mean in a minute and you'd no doubt already have done it a few times before, the internet is tiresome.

You can do it a couple of ways, the step across kick when they're kicking as you described is the best since it takes you out of the path of their kick but you need to know they're going to lead with that rear kick. Thankfully it also works as a decent counter to the step in jab, so if you predict their attack wrong it often still works. Aim for the ankle/lower shin to sweep or inner thigh to do damage, the thigh one actually hurts a fair bit since all their weight is on it and the leg often pivoted (hamstring i think?).

The other variation i like (no-step) is one where you don't have to be much faster than your opponent. When they throw a right rear kick to your body or head, go under their kick with your kick to their calf/shin making sure to roll your body to the right a fair bit to absorb their kick. If you are a little slow off the mark you'll take a 50% kick to the arm but still dump them on their arse since it takes a little while for that kicking leg to return to the ground.

I nearly stopped using body-kicks due to this counter, it was a rough month after my coach taught the other fighters.
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 7:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFH View Post
    I would like to humbly request videos or visual aids (I guess text explanations could be possible) on how to purposely create openings during sparring so that when the opponent does a predicted attack to the opening that I may counter-strike them in a certain way. I would like them in southpaw stance.
    I'm not much aware of youtube (yeah, Luddite) but search out Kevin Finnegan (UK) against Alan Minter or Marvin Hagler.

He fought a terrific 3 fight series with Left Hander Minter and though losing all 3, I thought he won at least one of 'em. For Hagler, another Southpaw, it's asserted that Hagler thought Kevin was his toughest opponent.

Why was he so good against Lefties? Well, his sparring partner was his Brother Chris Finnegan. A southpaw. Olympic MW Gold in Mexico '68 and Professional British, European and Commonwealth Champion who have Bob Foster a hard fight until he was KO'd 14. Both Chris and Kevin were skilled and tough. Chris was actually blind in one eye - little known at the time.

Hagler? Yes, I know he was a converted Righty. You think I didn't? Shame on you.

Cheers

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/16/2010 2:39pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you are starting out the best thing might be concentrating on your footwork and moving to your right. As soon as he starts out with anything just step and pivot to the right. At first this won't work and you'll keep getting hit, but if your coach has been showing you good footwork you will eventually notice he is swinging in the air.

When you finally are able to cut your first angle like that, it'll feel awkward because his target area is all on the other side, but thats actually very good for you.

Don't move unpredictably though. A guy will just mirror you and cut you off.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast