insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    7/16/2013 1:37pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Even on my side of the pond I consistently hear good things about Yoshisada Yonezuka's dojo in Cranford New Jersey. Yonezuka sensei was also a team mate and friend of the late great Hosaka sensei Kodokan 8th dan.

I don't know whereabouts in New Jersey Cranford is, but from what I hear that's probably the best school in New Jersey:

http://www.cranfordjkc.com/Yonezuka.htm
    So...the time has come for me to bunker down and finish what I started with my judo education.

I've decided to drop by Yonezuka's dojo, which I had originally written off as too far but just realized that since my kung fu school moved locations, I now train only 5 miles away from one of the best judo dojos in the US.

What do you guys think about the price sheet?

Notice he has "black belt" program that seems like a lot but obviously when you consider the years required to get to shodan...it's pretty standard right? I'm willing to pay a bit extra considering Yonezuka sensei's pedigree...but I was hoping for some honest feedback.

+++

Code:
    Course                            Paid in Full        Total Savings

Green Belt        $1500.00        JUDO    $1200.00        $300.00    
    Brown Belt        $2500.00        OR    $2100.00        $400.00
    Black Belt        $3500.00        KARATE    $3000.00        $500.00

Once Or Twice A Week                                                                         

1 Month            $120.00                    
    6 Months        $510.00 $255 Down 3X$85        $450.00 ($75 x 6)    $60.00
    12 Months        $900.00 $300 Down 8X$75        $792.00 ($66 x 12)    $108.00
    24 Months        $1560.00 $325 Down 19X$65    $1392.00 ($58 x 24)    $168.00

Unlimited Lesson Plan                                                                           

1 Month        $  165.00            
      6 Months        $  720.00 $360 Down 3X$120    $648.00 ($108 x 6)    $72.00
    12 Months        $1140.00 $380 Down 8X$95    $996.00 ($83 x 12)    $144.00
    24 Months        $1920.00 $400 Down 19X$80    $1704.00 ($71 x 24)    $216.00

Advanced Students                                                                                 

Brown Belt Students    $ 80.00 per month
    Black Belt Students    $ 50.00 per month

Single Lesson                                                                                           

One Class         (Visitor or Trial Lesson)    $ 20.00
    Private Lesson         (One Hour)            $ 100.00
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 7/16/2013 1:41pm at .

Posted On:
    7/16/2013 3:12pm

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, that is really pricy. Have you considered asking over at the ex-judoinfo judo forum?

Posted On:
    7/16/2013 3:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Wow, that is really pricy. Have you considered asking over at the ex-judoinfo judo forum?
    I had a feeling it would be on the high end. Sadly Everything is more expensive in NJ, including judo. Thanks for the link I'll take a look.

The big selling point for this particular dojo is that Yoshisada Yonezuka was the top US judo coach in the 1980's according to what I've read, is still considered one of the top judo instructors in the world, he is a two time Olympic coach, and he's trained a whole list of Olympians. The list of his students is pretty amazing:

http://www.cranfordjkc.com/World_Renowned_Students.htm

Now, I'm not naive enough to think that new students get to roll with Yonezuka, but I can't help but feel this could be one of those "the universe is speaking to you dumbass" moments.

At Princeton judo (my backup choice), its $90 a month with repeating 3 month contracts or 120 a month with no contract, $50 per year YWCA fee, and its about 10 miles closer so a small gas savings.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/16/2013 7:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    his prices are not out of line at all. seems like you should sign up.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    10/03/2013 9:50pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Now, I'm not naive enough to think that new students get to roll with Yonezuka, but I can't help but feel this could be one of those "the universe is speaking to you dumbass" moments.
    Actually, I used to train at CranfordJKC until time became a commodity that had to be rationed off. When I first started Yonezuka-sensei was one of the first instructors to teach me and I did end up doing both tachiwaza and newaza randori with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    10/11/2013 12:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How far are you from Bergen?

http://www.techjudo.com/

It's a great club and they have a lot of the top Judoka come to train there. I was at Kayla Harrison's clinic that was held there. Huge place and $45 a month for classes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Pingo

Posted On:
    10/12/2013 9:40pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Used to train at Princeton JUDO, it's a great club. Also there's a BJJ club in the same YWCA, some people train in both clubs. I highly recommend both.

I put up a review for that club a while ago on here. In any case, if you need to know more, just ask here or PM me.

I've also trained with some people from Cranford Judo, they're also terrific and the instructor I worked with is very, very good.

What county are you in? Sounds like Mercer...
    Last edited by ViciousFlamingo; 10/12/2013 9:46pm at .

Posted On:
    10/17/2013 10:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    How far are you from Bergen?
    Thanks for the link, but too far. My schedule lately has pretty much sunk any hope of training more than 30m away.

Posted On:
    10/17/2013 11:00am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ViciousFlamingo View Post
    Used to train at Princeton JUDO, it's a great club. Also there's a BJJ club in the same YWCA, some people train in both clubs. I highly recommend both.

I put up a review for that club a while ago on here. In any case, if you need to know more, just ask here or PM me.

I've also trained with some people from Cranford Judo, they're also terrific and the instructor I worked with is very, very good.

What county are you in? Sounds like Mercer...
    Thanks.

I am actually out of Somerset, but now my kids are in scouting and work has been taking up every waking second.

Right now I've decided that either Cranford or Princeton is WHERE I will be taking Judo. The real question is WHEN I can find the time to fit it into the mix...

Some day my dream of the Judobot will be a reality, and every judoka will be able to roll around with their very own robotic randori partner whenever training with humans isn't possible or practical. But it is not this day.

Come on Japan...you invented judo, and mecha. DO IT!

Pingo

Posted On:
    10/18/2013 9:22pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Thanks.

I am actually out of Somerset, but now my kids are in scouting and work has been taking up every waking second.

Right now I've decided that either Cranford or Princeton is WHERE I will be taking Judo. The real question is WHEN I can find the time to fit it into the mix...

Some day my dream of the Judobot will be a reality, and every judoka will be able to roll around with their very own robotic randori partner whenever training with humans isn't possible or practical. But it is not this day.

Come on Japan...you invented judo, and mecha. DO IT!

Hah, yeah....never enough hours in the day. Lemme know if you end up going to Princeton Judo or BJJ, I still stop by Princeton every now and then and I know many of the people in both clubs. It'd be cool to meet up and say hi in person. :)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12