Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. #21
    Rock Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,134
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What you're describing is the physiological weakness of standing on two legs, regardless of what stance someone may be in, there's a weak spot.

    In Japanese its called sankaku, most commonly "triangular", the human body forms two points of that triangle which can be drawn from any stance, the weak spot is the third point. Naturally that point moves whenever the stance moves. The skill, is application of movement creating kuzushi exploiting that weakness.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

    ~Ella Wheeler

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Deridder La USA
    Posts
    33
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Atemi comes - before - during - after.....all work great....LOL!

  3. #23
    Rock Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,134
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If done correctly, your "technique" becomes the biggest atemi when the unfortunate party makes contact with the ground.

    Think about that. Think as if ukemi doesn't exist.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

    ~Ella Wheeler

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    0.5 inches from the screen
    Posts
    462
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simio de las Rocas (formerly Hugo Stinglitz) View Post
    If done correctly, your "technique" becomes the biggest atemi when the unfortunate party makes contact with the ground.
    So my judo is a great striking art if I throw properly? Damn Hugo, that's some Musashi stuff right there...:laughing7:laughing7:laughing7

  5. #25
    Rock Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,134
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoist View Post
    So my judo is a great striking art if I throw properly? Damn Hugo, that's some Musashi stuff right there...:laughing7:laughing7:laughing7
    ..Because it's not the fall which hurts but the sudden stop when you hit the ground.

    Ukemi on tatami isn't the same as being dumped on the pavement.

    Gravitational physics 101
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

    ~Ella Wheeler

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,535
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simio de las Rocas View Post
    What you're describing is the physiological weakness of standing on two legs, regardless of what stance someone may be in, there's a weak spot.

    In Japanese its called sankaku, most commonly "triangular", the human body forms two points of that triangle which can be drawn from any stance, the weak spot is the third point. Naturally that point moves whenever the stance moves. The skill, is application of movement creating kuzushi exploiting that weakness.
    Superbly put. I shall make a point of remembering this explanation. Thanks.

  7. #27
    Rock Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,134
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eddie, if you take a close look at Japanese weaponry exponents, you'll see that they tend (if they've been well trained) to avoid raising their hips as they move, it's that lifting of the hips which makes entry into their posture very easy, the hard part is recognising it.

    Sankaku is both a form of stance with the feet (creating that "T" shape between the rear and front foot) and also where the weakness is when you look to exploit it.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

    ~Ella Wheeler

  8. #28
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    7,221
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Relevent on the sankaku (triangle) concept found here.

    Fundamentals of Judo - Tsurikomi and the Triangle - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,535
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Relevent on the sankaku (triangle) concept found here.

    Fundamentals of Judo - Tsurikomi and the Triangle - No BS MMA and Martial Arts
    Thanks to you and Dave.

    I have heard it demo'd and explained before by a Judo 3rd Dan (and JJ high Dan) when he was going through Kuzushi No Kata (apologies if I've mis-stated that) and it was also later alluded to by his instructor.

    It's just that Dave's explanation was the best I've read/heard.

    Grateful for the addition re Weapons. I'll keep that in Mind as well(!)

    Cheers both

Page 3 of 3 First 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO