Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    7/13/2010 3:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nickjutsu View Post
    maybe thats where I've been going wrong and location makes a big difference. I'll have to try an open air oni kudaki and compare it to an indoor one.
    LOL yeah

Tho, a caveat: outdoor rough-ground training does have some benefits. Regardless of whatever style you train, you should do some outdoor training so you get to know how uneven ground feels, how your arts traditional footwork may cause some problems, etc.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2010 4:07pm

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have picked up some things, even just being in the back garden. Found out it takes a bit more work to turn in for a throw when you're wearing trainers on hot tarmac and that breakfalls actually hurt with no mats. On the plus side though i haven't knocked my self out yet by playing silly buggers in a small garden.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    7/13/2010 10:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nickjutsu View Post
    Have picked up some things, even just being in the back garden. Found out it takes a bit more work to turn in for a throw when you're wearing trainers on hot tarmac and that breakfalls actually hurt with no mats. On the plus side though i haven't knocked my self out yet by playing silly buggers in a small garden.
    Yeah, if you get thrown over it helps to try to get your feet on the ground first for a little pre-contact before you try to break-fall. & I've found that you have to learn to step, that slidey-foot bullshit that works so well on tatami with suede-soled tabi just doesn't work in real life.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 4:00am

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only tried one session with tabi and they didn't even make it through the warm up before they annoyed me with their toe segregation. Did get a better reaction with a no-gi boshiken as opposed to with the heavy training jackets we wear. Yet to try it in winter though when we're all wrapped up eskimos.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 4:34pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That knife disarm was horrible, and how does a video transition from fighting with swords to disarming a gun? But the actual hand to hand combat... okay most of it is pretty bad but at 1:12 the uke starts striking more like a fighter than anyone at my old booj dojo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 12:39am

Style: none yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, i freely admit noob status here, so i understand i may not have as much insight as everyone else when i say WHAT THE MONKEY HELLS IS THAT? He blocked the knife with, what, his vocal cords of doom? And did i miss something, or did he evade a rope garrote with what appeared to be a half-assed mastery of ballet? Not to mention the excellent, excellent example later in the video of HOW TO GET YOURSELF SHOT!

Who knows. maybe part of the training is to get bad ass enough to block a bullet with your nose...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 2:25am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like how his response to someone being in fighting stance is to stand up straight with hands down and feet square to his opponent. In the booj I was taught some techniques from this position too, its one of the kumai. However the purpose of teaching the kumai is to be able to transition into a fighting stance when necessary or be able to react to an attack that comes before you have time to get to a fighting stance. Actually I think I did hear some nonsense about using it so you don't telegraph information about what kind of fighter you are, but still...
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345