Page 4 of 5 First 12345 Last
  1. #31
    Cake of Doom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    surrey, UK
    Posts
    863
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mechanics is pretty much the same, some variation in the clasping of your own hands/wrist. On the deck it can be a little gem of a move but standing? meh. A more experienced grappler could probably give more explaination of the subtle differences.

  2. #32
    Kid Miracleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Parts Unknown!
    Posts
    3,249
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Put this crap in the video forum next time.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    499
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty much all that is wrong in the Booj is on display in this vid - the level of compliance is cringeworthy and the techniques themselves would get you killed even if they were done with speed and aggression.
    Re cross training being discouraged, that is pretty ridiculous seeing as almost all of the shihan in Japan have multiple dan grades in other styles such as judo and karate. Not sure what Hatsumi's line on it is but the shihan I trained with over there had no problem with me doing kakutogi.
    It looks like those guys don't want their students walking into a BJJ school and getting owned by a white belt when they believe they themselves are unbeatable after getting a high kyu grade or dubious shodan. Even by International Booj standards that place is at the bottom of the pile, pure **** by the looks of things.

  4. #34
    Styygens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,178
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nickjutsu View Post
    Mechanics is pretty much the same, some variation in the clasping of your own hands/wrist. On the deck it can be a little gem of a move but standing? meh. A more experienced grappler could probably give more explaination of the subtle differences.
    Your first impression is correct, it's pretty much the same. Oni Kudaki refers to the keylock, not the exact placement of the hands. That's a trap most Boojers fall into. Oni Kudaki has several variations, and can be applied standing, or on the ground.

    You are correct that standing grappling moves tend to be low percentage moves. However, they are also the basis for knife disarms. I've seen the standing keylock (Oni Kudaki/Americana) appear in demos ranging from WWII combatives, to Krav Maga, to Renaissance era knife material, to Helio Gracie's BJJ book. Low percentage doesn't mean "useless," it means "low percentage."

    Still, if we're talking generally, I'd say going for the clinch and throw is a better gambit than Oni Kudaki.

    The Booj suffers from a poor teaching method, mysticism, and rampant misunderstanding of the material; the techniques, however, aren't much different from those in any JJJ, which tend to re-appear in Judo and/or BJJ.

  5. #35
    Cake of Doom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    surrey, UK
    Posts
    863
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    Your first impression is correct, it's pretty much the same. Oni Kudaki refers to the keylock, not the exact placement of the hands. That's a trap most Boojers fall into. Oni Kudaki has several variations, and can be applied standing, or on the ground.

    You are correct that standing grappling moves tend to be low percentage moves. However, they are also the basis for knife disarms. I've seen the standing keylock (Oni Kudaki/Americana) appear in demos ranging from WWII combatives, to Krav Maga, to Renaissance era knife material, to Helio Gracie's BJJ book. Low percentage doesn't mean "useless," it means "low percentage."

    Still, if we're talking generally, I'd say going for the clinch and throw is a better gambit than Oni Kudaki.

    The Booj suffers from a poor teaching method, mysticism, and rampant misunderstanding of the material; the techniques, however, aren't much different from those in any JJJ, which tend to re-appear in Judo and/or BJJ.
    It was a general comment, Never had the balls to try it against a knife wielding maniac lol.

    Throws are usually what i end up going to when i can't get the lock. That or a frustrated, half arsed takedown.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    2
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I threw up in my mouth a little bit. Holy crap was that pitiful.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    875
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Vlad View Post
    Even by International Booj standards that place is at the bottom of the pile, pure **** by the looks of things.
    Apparently, Hatsumi gave him a fifth degree black belt. So yeah, this looks like the Booj's version of "high" standards to me.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Deep inside the intestine of a sperm whale
    Posts
    180
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I don't know, the location makes a certain KIND of sense...
    That is to say, if I was so inclined as to go loking for Ninja(s), at the bus station in front of the lockers is cetainly not the first place I would go looking.

    More than I can say for the rest of the video certianly....

  9. #39
    Jim_Jude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,555
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Standard Oni Kudaki from a lapel grab, straight from the Kihon Happo all Boojers learn. However, it's even more choice because it was filmed in a park...
    YouTube- Oni kudaki
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

    "The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

    "Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

  10. #40
    Cake of Doom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    surrey, UK
    Posts
    863
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    maybe thats where I've been going wrong and location makes a big difference. I'll have to try an open air oni kudaki and compare it to an indoor one.

Page 4 of 5 First 12345 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO