Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 8:53pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Trust me when I say that I am not pro cop. I do a bit of criminal defense. There is just nothing here that rise to the level of voluntary manslaughter. There was no "malice aforethought" . Just a giant colossal fuckup. People who are running around breaking into footlocker don't care about this case, don't understand it, and don't want to. It's a lot more racist to assume this guy had a racial motive than it is to agree with this verdict. Oh, and I'm a white, liberal democrat.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 9:32pm

Style: Justice/Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I honestly doesn't believe the cop meant to kill the guy. Being a cop in prison even for only a few years is probably more of a punishment than most people realize. I think the problem is that tasers look too much like a gun and can be easily confused for one under duress. Also in general the style of most police uniforms seems to be more military like and that combined with being so heavily geared up that there might be a negative effect on the mindset of some police that reinforces a more combative viewpoint.

Luckily I have the solution to both problems.

1. Create a stun baton similar if not identical to the one from demolition man. It solves the need for both a usable melee type weapon and a taser that is not gun shaped. Do away with pepper spray all together.

2. All police uniforms are to revert back to the 1940'e/50's style. The long sleeve jackets are to have ballistic protection built into them. There are already clothing companies for this type of stuff for VIPs and world leaders. The old school cop uniform has a much more friendly look to it and also goes great with the baton.

3. All police pistols will become .44 magnum revolvers.

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 9:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    I'm not on the sentencing jury.
    I am aware of that and I appreciate your candid answers. My expressed frustration isn't directed at you.

Quote Originally Posted by crappler
    I just don't believe he was sitting there and suddenly decided to kill that guy. That is the standard. In all the confusion and stress, he tried to taz the guy and killed him.
    What do you think the correct charge was? Negligent homicide? Manslaughter?

That really didn't seem to be THAT stressful compared to other **** cops have to deal with. One guy standing around saying "What did I do?" unarmed surrounded by cops while all his buddies are on the ground, then on the floor securely pinned by another cop? The crowd didn't even seem that rowdy in the video until after the guy got shot. If it was one or two cops outnumbered with an angry mob edging closer then I could understand how it was stressful even without the suspects putting up a fight, but this?

Dunno, there's some cops on these boards who seem like good people, and most of my Karate instructors were cops/corrections. I hate to think any of the former would have acted the same and I can't imagine the later.

P.S. Why'd you have to tell us you were a lawyer; I've always liked your posts. :p
    Last edited by maofas; 7/09/2010 10:12pm at .

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 10:10pm

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oakland born East Bay resident.
    short version: Poor jury selection, correct verdict. we'll see how sentencing goes????? I see as no different as a Nurse giving the wrong dosage or A Pharmacist putting the wrong pills in the bottle. Bad, lethal mistake......for all
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 10:34pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJayBoogie View Post
    no no...the modifier is not referring to the weapon.

We in california passed a low that said if you commited a crime with a gun there could be an additional 2-10 years onto any crime when a gun was used. According to the Alameda County D.A. he will be sentenced to anywhere from 5-14 years in state prison doing 85% time, again because of the gun enhancement.
    uh oh the news guys are confused then... So the rub would be that obviously he would have a gun because of his job. man the media is confused... sentencing was 2-10 years when they were mentioning it today.
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2010 2:32am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honesty, from what I've gathered on the thread I'd have to say that the police officer deserves to have the book thrown at her hard, possibly by a juiced up major leaguer, it's manslaughter not 2nd degree murder. There should be very little mercy if any at all from the judge due to this not being the first incident where she mistook her fire arm for her taser. Mistaking a lethal weapon for one designed to be non-lethal should never happen on a police force.

Posted On:
    7/11/2010 11:00am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    I am aware of that and I appreciate your candid answers. My expressed frustration isn't directed at you.

What do you think the correct charge was? Negligent homicide? Manslaughter?

That really didn't seem to be THAT stressful compared to other **** cops have to deal with. One guy standing around saying "What did I do?" unarmed surrounded by cops while all his buddies are on the ground, then on the floor securely pinned by another cop? The crowd didn't even seem that rowdy in the video until after the guy got shot. If it was one or two cops outnumbered with an angry mob edging closer then I could understand how it was stressful even without the suspects putting up a fight, but this?

Dunno, there's some cops on these boards who seem like good people, and most of my Karate instructors were cops/corrections. I hate to think any of the former would have acted the same and I can't imagine the later.

P.S. Why'd you have to tell us you were a lawyer; I've always liked your posts. :p
    The charge WAS neligent homicide, or manslaughter from what I culled. Involuntary manslaughter has two elements:

1. that someone was killed, and

2. that the killing was unlawful.

Unlawful killing

An "unlawful" killing can take place under two circumstances:

when you commit a crime that is dangerous to human life under the circumstances of its commission, or

when you commit an otherwise lawful act, but one that involves a high degree of risk of death or great bodily injury or harm to others, and you commit the act without due caution and circumspection.4

"Without due caution and circumspection" is equivalent to criminal negligence.5 "Criminal negligence" involves more than ordinary carelessness, inattention, or mistake in judgment. You act with criminal negligence when:

you act in a reckless way and create a high risk of death or great bodily injury, and

a reasonable person would have known that acting in that way would create such a risk.6
    -----------

And I'm not really a lawyer, but I play one on TV. :thumbsup:
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234