Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    7/20/2010 5:06pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    ^listen to this guy, about anything and everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cougar Spirit View Post
    Concur with Cassius.
    don't let his rough exterior and profanity ridden posts fool you, the man is a wealth of information.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/24/2010 11:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Something happens when you sign a contract: you're legally bound. Because of this, you lose all bargaining power that you would need in any comtemplated renegotiation. Don't buy the recruiter's bs. The recruiter's lies are not usually contract terms, so they can't be bound by them. They tell you what they think you want to hear so you will sign on the dotted line. The Army doesn't really care what you want, once you are theirs. I would advise you to wait until your desired mos is open.

The other option is to ask them to put it in the contract: "I want a guaranteed right to reclass immediately if my desired mos comes open." They won't go for it, which should tell you something.

Posted On:
    7/25/2010 8:32am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NotThatBruce View Post
    Something happens when you sign a contract: you're legally bound. Because of this, you lose all bargaining power that you would need in any comtemplated renegotiation. Don't buy the recruiter's bs. The recruiter's lies are not usually contract terms, so they can't be bound by them. They tell you what they think you want to hear so you will sign on the dotted line. The Army doesn't really care what you want, once you are theirs. I would advise you to wait until your desired mos is open.

The other option is to ask them to put it in the contract: "I want a guaranteed right to reclass immediately if my desired mos comes open." They won't go for it, which should tell you something.
    In reality, especially with the military, this is not true. He can sign a contract and walk away from it and just be counted as a DEP loss, as long as he does it by the day he ships.

He can also renegotiate.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/25/2010 11:56am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    In reality, especially with the military, this is not true. He can sign a contract and walk away from it and just be counted as a DEP loss, as long as he does it by the day he ships.

He can also renegotiate.
    You must be a practicing attorney, since you know so much about contract law. JAG, maybe? Or at least have some form of legal training? If not, I would tread carefully here. A contract, especially with the military, is a legal document, if executed properly. If someone walks away, fine. They can do that up to a point without repercussion. The downside is they don't get to join. But, wasn't that the point?

And try renegotiating. Has anyone done that successfully? I'm curious. I've never heard of a single case, but if they're out there, I'm interested to hear.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/25/2010 12:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you had actually joined the Military, I'm sure you'd know a bit more about how it actually works, ******.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    7/25/2010 12:49pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3 cases of walk offs while i was working in the recruiting office.

1. girl got knocked up and ran 2 states away. called us up to invite us to the baby shower and apologize for getting pregnant right before boot. nothing in her contract about an escape clause for pregnancy.

but ok, you say that pregnancy is an obvious dis-qualifier, and that we just sent her out after she popped out her little diaper shitter, right? wrong, we never saw her again, and neither did the navy.

2. a kid in DEP decided he wanted to be a marine reservist instead of a sailor after he signed his contract. he told us that he changed his mind and walked off. we didn't see him again for a month. when we did it was to watch him get on the van to meps for shipping out. he was shaking the marine recruiters' hands while he did it.

3. a guy pretended to be gay to get out of the navy (i know, ironic). the recruiters told him to kiss me and we would let him out (damn being junior enlisted sucks). he got all spastic and ran out while we laughed. never heard anything else about him.

so, there you go. now quit being a shithead to people who have been there/done that.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/25/2010 12:55pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    If you had actually joined the Military, I'm sure you'd know a bit more about how it actually works, ******.
    You're baiting me. But, I'll answer in humility. I'm 11B, deployed to OIF. If you want proof, I'll provide, but not out in the open for OPSEC reasons.

So, yes, I am also speaking from experience.

EDIT: 11B = US Army Infantry.
    Last edited by NotThatBruce; 7/25/2010 1:14pm at .

Posted On:
    7/25/2010 12:56pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NotThatBruce View Post
    You must be a practicing attorney, since you know so much about contract law. JAG, maybe? Or at least have some form of legal training? If not, I would tread carefully here. A contract, especially with the military, is a legal document, if executed properly. If someone walks away, fine. They can do that up to a point without repercussion. The downside is they don't get to join. But, wasn't that the point?

And try renegotiating. Has anyone done that successfully? I'm curious. I've never heard of a single case, but if they're out there, I'm interested to hear.
    No, I'm not JAG, I just am actually in the military so I know how it works.

And I ended up renegotiating my contract when I joined in 2005, which you would know already if you had actually read the thread before you commented. In general, if you want to renegotiate your contract, it is in the best interest of the recruiter to work with you, since you can still walk anytime before you ship.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/25/2010 12:59pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by STB'A View Post
    3 cases of walk offs while i was working in the recruiting office.
    The question was, how many renegotiated? We're still at zero.

EDIT: It's up to one now.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/25/2010 1:04pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joini...recruiter1.htm

Here is something a friend sent me who spent 10 years active duty in the military. Some of the stuff is a little outdated but, it echos what most have said.

Long as hell.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast