Sponsored Links Spacer Image

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 11:17pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, CMA, & more

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's the thing - Army recruiters have goals to meet. They have to put people into the jobs that are open. Just because you want something else doesn't change their mission, and frankly the prospective recruit's wants and desires aren't all that important to the Army. If the Army needs ditch diggers, they're going to have ditch digging positions open. If Little Jimmy wants to be a brain surgeon, fine, but when he goes to the Army and is offered a ditch digging position Little Jimmy needs to understand it's nothing personal...

If Little Jimmy went to McDonald's and asked to be a brain surgeon, he'd be just as disappointed when they offered him a position making french fries. Simply, the jobs that need to be filled are what are offered.

If Little Jimmy stands firm, as is his right to do, Little Jimmy ought not be surprised when, seeing a prospect fall through their fingers and realizing they have to start over in filling that ditch digging position, they get a little cranky and don't want to have Little Jimmy drop by the recruiting station for milk and cookies.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 1:19am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: DZR JJJ / MMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I've gathered thus far the soonest date to ship out would be in November. For some reason he said several jobs open around September/October, and that more jobs open up after everyone reports the positions freed up through DEP losses (Something along the lines of they don't want to report them until they meet their numbers, and when that is evades me at the moment).

Apart from making my present recruiters VERY cranky, is there anything preventing me leaving all of my information in the system until one of those jobs opens up, whenever that might be?

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 1:40am

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt's right, but the recruiters should also be honest with little jimmy and flat out say "sorry kid all we have are ditch digging jobs, come back later" instead of shining him on with all sorts of bullshit like "sign now and renegotiate later" (if you sign for that ditch digging job, you gonna be a ditch digger son) or tell jimmy at the last minute (as in day's before you ship) "oh gee theres a problem with that MOS you wanted.." Had a buddy who went USMC that had that BS pulled on him.

Fortunately there must have been plenty of MP slots open when I signed up. :)

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 5:57am

supporting member
     Style: Tae-Ninjitsu Mu Sool

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    its hard to make rank in medical. maybe check out other fields u may be interested in and keep following advice from peeps here as they will tell you stuff the recruiters wont tell you.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 7:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, your recruiter is definitely full of ****. Even if the job you want truly isn't available, he's still bullshitting about "we'll see what we can do for you later."

Trust me, recruiters don't give a **** about you or your career. As already pointed out, they have quotas to fill.

Tell them what you want to do. If they can't make it happen, don't join. If they get pissed off, **** 'em. They're just POG-ass recruiters. Who gives a **** what they think?

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 8:25am

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    Yeah, your recruiter is definitely full of ****. Even if the job you want truly isn't available, he's still bullshitting about "we'll see what we can do for you later."

Trust me, recruiters don't give a **** about you or your career. As already pointed out, they have quotas to fill.

Tell them what you want to do. If they can't make it happen, don't join. If they get pissed off, **** 'em. They're just POG-ass recruiters. Who gives a **** what they think?
    This +1000

Its your life, and your contract will seem a **** of a lot longer if you're doing something you hate.

One thing that might interest you, I gather that you are looking to join full time. The Reserve and NG units have different needs, you might want to check with those recruiters as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 12:18pm

Style: Shaolin/Judo/JuJitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of what is being said here should open your eyes a little. Let me toss a couple pennies on the table. Recruiters are just that, recruiting young men and women for the service. The Army is the only branch that can provide you a contract for a specific job/skill position before you put your hand in the air. The other services offer a career field, not the same. Also, a job search can be done, but while i was on the trail, only for the current quarter and the next 90 days out. "Provided you qualify and a vacancy exists..." should sound familar. As previously posted, there is a draw down and some training positions are not available, for now. The Fiscal Year ends 30 September and new training cycles normally post by 10-15 October. That does not guarantee medical positions, just more positions across the board. If you ASVABd and physicalled for one recruiter (under their SSN) you can go anywhere you want, but if you go into that service, they get the credit. Last I checked, nearly 70% of the Army's medical staff was USAR. A point to remember is that if enlistment incentives are offered (bonus, etc), there is something to make that harder to fill than other jobs. I would consider that before making a decision. If you enlist and take incentives and then change your mind, you have not honored your original contract and are subject to having to pay back your incentive. Also, it is a legal contract. If you break it, technically you can be prosecuted. The negative publicity hurts the recruiting effort. So, rather than prosecute they usally slap a General discharge on you as a DEP loss. Recruiters are required to make up DEP losses and training losses. Don't sign anything you do not read.

Have a great Army day!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2010 2:08pm

Style: Traditional Wushu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I joined the USAF, we had a kid in with us who was fed a bucketfull of bullshit by his recruiter. I forget now (it was almost 30 years ago) what he was told he was going to be doing, but I will never forget his reaction when we talked to him about it.

"EOD is **WHAT!?!?**"

Don't trust the recruiter. Period. Full stop.

Wait until you can go in under the MOS you want, or don't go.

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    7/13/2010 12:31am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cougar Spirit View Post
    The Army is the only branch that can provide you a contract for a specific job/skill position before you put your hand in the air.
    When I joined the Navy in 1995 I had a contract with a specified job. When my brother joined the USMC in 2001, he did as well.

If you want to be a medic and the army guys are not playing ball, talk to the Navy or Air Force.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2010 10:50am

Style: Bayless Freestyle JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=Big Furnace;2408829]When I joined the USAF, we had a kid in with us who was fed a bucketfull of bullshit by his recruiter. I forget now (it was almost 30 years ago) what he was told he was going to be doing, but I will never forget his reaction when we talked to him about it.

"EOD is **WHAT!?!?**"

Don't trust the recruiter. Period. Full stop.

Wait until you can go in under the MOS you want, or don't go.[/quote]

This. Recruiters are paid to bullshit low income youngsters into whatever job the army wants. They aren't going anywhere, so tell them to call you when they can come up with an acceptable MOS.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast