Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 2:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bullies solve Rafe's ongoing quarter life crisism another part of an ongoing series

Hello bullies and bullettes,

In short, while I have always been a stereotypical, one dimensional striker, it looks like the several injuries I sustained over the years (some of you might remember that I usually refer to my style as "broken hand boxing") are demanding their toll: After a six-month MA hiatus during the upcoming exam season, I will not return to a striking art again, but rather look for Judo and BJJ. (What I pick in the end will probably be determined where I end up professionally.)

Now, that my schedule doesn't permit me to train, doesn't mean I can't do some homework.

So, here go my questions:

1. What physical/weight training should I do to prepare my body best? There are several grappler circuits etc available on the web, but which one would you recommend? I am already physically fit, but while I can't train on a regular base, hitting the gym is the only thing left. So, I'll try to make the best of it.

2. While I usually don't think too highly about books on martial arts, Saulo Ribeiro's book on Jiu Jitsu was an immense help for the first few steps at least. Anything equally good that I could read for Judo? Or another BJJ book of equal quality? I am obviously not looking for self-study, just for something where I can look things up and get in-detail ideas about the style.

Thanks a lot, and already saving my money for the pink gi of doom,

Rafe
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonist; 7/08/2010 2:17pm at .

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    So, here go my questions:

1. What physical/weight training should I do to prepare my body best? There are several grappler circuits etc available on the web, but which one would you recommend? I am already physically fit, but while I can't train on a regular base, hitting the gym is the only thing left. So, I'll try to make the best of it.
    Core strength

2. While I usually don't think too highly about books on martial arts, Saulo Ribeiro's book on Jiu Jitsu was an immense help for the first few steps at least. Anything equally good that I could read for Judo? Or another BJJ book of equal quality? I am obviously not looking for self-study, just for something where I can look things up and get in-detail ideas about the style.
    Mike Swain Complete Judo

Thanks a lot, and already saving my money for the pink gi of doom,

Rafe
    Dont mention it hot stuff

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 11:26pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your technique threads offend me. Mostly because they are more about you than actual technique. While this may be more of a reflection of my shortcomings rather than yours, I already put up with one of them. I'm not willing to put up with another one.

Put simply, I don't want to read about what's going on in your life in a technique thread.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 6:35am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Your technique threads offend me. Mostly because they are more about you than actual technique. While this may be more of a reflection of my shortcomings rather than yours, I already put up with one of them. I'm not willing to put up with another one.

Put simply, I don't want to read about what's going on in your life in a technique thread.
    Yepp, I had posted this in the wrong section.
    Sorry, and thanks for moving it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldman34 View Post
    Core strength
    Any specific exercise circuit that would rewarding for that - like the kettlebell challenge? What would be the thing most grapplers do?

Mike Swain Complete Judo
    Couldn't find a book under that title.

Could it be one of those:

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keyw...d&link_code=qs

There is a DVD set under that title, though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 12:14pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34 View Post
    Core strength
    Seconded! And build your cardio. Grappling sucks your gas tank fastttt.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 2:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, a plan like this would be good?

1. day: Couture grappling circuit.
    2. day: Kettlebell agony.
    3. day: Run, and since you run in the dog area, run fast.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 3:19pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    your time is probably better spent on actual grappling.. atleast in the beginning stage. With that being said .. randy couture has the real endurance. check him out. Grappling strength is more about being balanced. Meaning you have to be able to be strong, fast, flexible and whatever when ever you need to be.

Grappling endurance is not the same as running endurance either. Don't run lol.. roll instead;)

Judo vs bjj.. I have trained judo for 1-1.5 years.. and I have trained bjj for 1 week lol. Personally I think my bjj school delivers more but that's because this bjj school is actually a higher quality school. bjj also gives faster progress because judo is harder to master. Yes it is.

I would check what is available in the area AND I would go too the school today. yup! I would skip the muay thai etc etc. Because it is alot better to have actually done 1 thing than to have 1000 plans. Listen to your instructor and don't skip trainings. This might not be what your looking for but it is the best advice you can get.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 3:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, UB, much appreciated. - The problem is, I'll have a shitload of exams during the next six months, and while I don't count it out completely, I guess I will rather train in the morning and save my evenings for the books. (MA schools in that town don't have morning classes - and I am talking real morning, 7 AM.)

I will return to MA training as fast as I can, of course. But for the next few months, "good grades + ??? = profit" is the name of the game.

Oh, I should also say, I have been in Spain since December, and will relocate to Germany in a few weeks. So, it's not like I was overly lazy - it's that I really got a shitload of things to do.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonist; 7/09/2010 3:45pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 3:45pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good luck with your exams then :)

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 3:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks again, pal.

If there is one person in the world I would like to choke out, it would indeed be Geoffrey Chaucer.

Yeah, this event would probably involve exhumation and necrophilia.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast