Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 3:54pm

Style: Lifting heavy stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    My spidey sense tells me coach josh would say ko uchi gari
    Ah but whats the best way to do it? pull them forward or drive them backward the sweep the foot? I quite like the idea of shoulder barging the backward then hooking the leg away sort of like Koga does ( i think) Is this ko uchi gari at 1:16

YouTube- Koga - A New Wind

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 4:01pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's called ko uchi makkikomi. It's not exactly a classic big man throw... And most forms are now illegal as an initial attack.

Ko uchi. Normal ko uchi. And o uchi.

They're great throws in part because they can combo to nearly everything. O uchi, uchi mata and o soto gari make a very nice set, for example.
    Last edited by Res Judicata; 7/08/2010 4:04pm at .

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 4:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, work on dominating your grip. You want to get a solid gripping game.

The big three for the tall guy is first O soto Gari. Drill it all the time, get it solid.

Now, when you come in for it they are going to push you out, you will turn into Tai Otoshi or Uchi Mata. I suggest Tai Otoshi.

Good Luck.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 4:54pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm in agreement with all i've read here. But i would also add a bit of advice on handling stiff arms.

First - an observation: i used to maintain stiff arms myself. it was defensiveness, and i didn't recognize that i was doing it. Every time i'd move in for a throw, i felt that they were holding me back but in reality i was pushing them straight out of my throws.

So i had to learn to really relax my arms. This is usually accomplished by tucking my elbows directly into my sides, planting them in my short ribs. Then i just try to keep my hands in front of me, and when i want to move uke, i do so by turning my body (hips AND shoulders!). I make every effort NOT to use arm strength to move uke, as this: a) generates less power than body movement and b) often prompts reflexive defense from uke.

Okay, once it's not YOUR stiff arms that are causing the problem, realize that a stiff arm that is pushing you away from them is also pulling them to you. Get an uke, and have them stiff arm you. Assuming it's their right hand on your left lapel, let the pressure build up and pivot on your right foot, bringing your left back and immediately behind your right. Let your whole body move in this pivot, and your lapel will come back, making their extend their stiff-arm push across you. The idea is that they are relying on your chest holding them back, so you take it from them, much like a matador with his cape.

Practice this slow, with lot of dedication from uke. Once you get a feeling for how to turn, incorporate it into randori. As long as you don't speed up and prompt uke's defensive reflex, you should be able to start getting them to either stumble forward or plant their foot and pull back. Once you can catch that stumble or pull, start throwing off of it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 6:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    Iwas going to suggest the sameOsoto Gari entry (I call itthe hook and hop). Heres a video of Yasuhiro Yamashita using it at 0:10 & 0:37

YouTube- yamashita Judo

Note also the similarities with the Ashi Guruma at 1:20 and a lovely O Uchi Gari.

To the OP You may want to look at Hiza Guruma (a throw which I am HORRIBLE at), Uchi Mata, Tai Otoshi and O Soto Gari + Ko Soto Gari combinations. I would suggest not neglecting the *Small people* throws as well though...

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 8:32pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being tall you will have a greater margin for error for certain throws, these tend to be O soto gari, Uchi mata and Harai goshi.

This is because being taller, usually with longer legs and being heavier than your randori partners you're able to compensate for timing, coordination and technical deficiencies with your height and weight advantage.

O soto gari is a really hard technique, because beginner attempts at it can be easily shut down through stiff arming. Although stiff arming tends to shut down most beginner attempts at forward and backwards throws its particularly so for O soto gari, because uke can stiff arm and throw their leg back to make it seemingly near impossible for you to execute the throw.

There is no quick and easy solution to this problem you need to do hundred and thousands of uchikomi, moving uchikomi and nagekomi as well as practicing and failing time and again in randori until you learn the moment of opportunity and timing to attack with O soto gari.

What you will find is that you will rarely perform a 'classical' O soto gari, because of the difficulties of timing etc... and will often hook and have to hop throw as in the Josh Resnick video.

As with any Judo throw you need to combine moment of opportunity (debana) with quality kuzushi and maintain that kuzushi.

With the hikite- lapel hand, you need to ensure your forearm is kept in line and in contact with their lapel and you aren't just pushing them away from you. With your tsurite hand if your opponent is smaller than you, you need to draw their arm outwards and upwards simultaneously with the action of your hikite. If they are the same size of taller draw their arm outwards and downwards to your own belt. The objective is to pin as much of their weight on the rear right corner (assuming a right handed O soto gari) of their right heel as possible.

Observe this:
    YouTube- Uchikomi's

And these:
    YouTube- Yamashita O Soto Gari Part 1

YouTube- Yamashita O Soto Gari Part 2

YouTube- Yamashita O Soto Gari Part 3
    Last edited by judoka_uk; 7/08/2010 8:41pm at .

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 1:18am

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How many "Judo for [body type]" threads does this make now?

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 3:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MTripp,
    just for examples' sake, I've chosen the two following vids of osoto gari:
    YouTube- Osoto Gari. Osotogari
    and tai otoshi:
    YouTube- Tai Otoshi

So what you're saying with this combination of osoto gari & tai otoshi, when the osoto gari "doesn't work" the inside leg attacking uki's leg stays where it is for the tai otoshi and the leg that the tori's weight is on for the osoto just rotates back to the other side for the tai otoshi? or is the tai otoshi against the other leg? Is there any particular footwork for that transition to tai otoshi?

(Thanks ahead of time)
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 3:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    How many "Judo for [body type]" threads does this make now?
    LOL, I was thinking the same thing.

Ben

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 6:11am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    MTripp,
    just for examples' sake, I've chosen the two following vids of osoto gari:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGHQbsDhppc
    and tai otoshi:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mj15M5K9zs

So what you're saying with this combination of osoto gari & tai otoshi, when the osoto gari "doesn't work" the inside leg attacking uki's leg stays where it is for the tai otoshi and the leg that the tori's weight is on for the osoto just rotates back to the other side for the tai otoshi? or is the tai otoshi against the other leg? Is there any particular footwork for that transition to tai otoshi?

(Thanks ahead of time)
    Yes...

As you are pulling and stepping in, when you feel Uke push, you are going to plant the attacking leg, and pivot on it as you do a back step with the driving leg. Depending how deep your attacking leg is now, you have uchi mata (done as a leg not a hip throw) or tai otoshi. You may have to "ken ken" by attacking the inside leg, then hopping into attacking the outside leg.

But to me that is the best concept for a long legged person.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast