Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 2:10pm

Style: Lifting heavy stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo throws for tall guys.

Ive been doing judo for nearly a year now so im still quite noobish and im really struggling to do any throws in randori. Im 6ft 3 and 94 kg and all but two of the guys in my judo club are smaller in height than me.

This presents me with a problem during randori because i cant seem to get my hips low enough, quick enough to get any throws in without being sweeped and if i try any sweeps a just get stright armed and countered.

My only sucsess comes when i can counter one of their attacks usually with a de ashi bari and i sometimes can get them with a hiza guruma if im lucky. Any tall grapplers out there got any idea's or prefered techniques which work well against smaller, stockier opponents? Should i be looking to get the high back collar grips and pull my opponents around with that and try sweeping?

I always thought that judo would be a doodle for a big tall guy but it seems that i fare better fighting the two bigger guys than i do the smaller one's. Any tips appart from the standard STFU and train noob which im already trying ;-)

thanks in advance

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am tall (6'3") and had the same issue when I started Judo especially against strong, short players. Some forms of stance work and stretching should help you increase your back/leg strength and flexibility and ability to drop low quickly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 2:33pm

Style: The grapply boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    6'5'', and I don't grapple often anymore, but I found that sacrifice throws work pretty well, as well as aggresive takedowns. Morote Gari, I think? Forgive my Judo noobness, but anything that can transfer over from freestyle wrestling should work.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 2:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    double legs from a tall guy on a short guy? not only are they now illegal in judo competition because of dumbass rules but making a tall guy drop even lower than he needs to for a hip throw doesnt sound right.

I'm short but the ones that work on me most from taller guys are.

tai otoshi

uchi mata

sasae tsurikomi ashi

harai goshi

osoto gari

These throws generally find long legs to be an advantage.

more likely your problem is not enough uchikomi and no kuzushi, when you drill a throw enough you should be able to turn in eventually and use it in randori.

stiff armers will not learn anything, hiza guruma or sasae tsurikomi ashi will probably work on them.

http://www.judoinfo.com has gifs of all the throws i've mentioned.

..if you're lucky mtripp or coach josh will give you some advice, in which case you can pretty much ignore my post.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 2:48pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously?

I'm a shortish stocky guy, and I can tell you exactly what I hate from the tall guys: Harai goshi. And uchi mata. Osoto gari/otoshi (the one where you reach across and hook your heel into the knee). Anything with the high collar grip - especially transitioning to the koshi gurum/headlock grip.

Oh, and stand in an extreme right or left stance and bear down on the guy. That sucks.

Forget sacrifice throws for now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 3:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post

I'm short but the ones that work on me most from taller guys are.

tai otoshi

uchi mata

sasae tsurikomi ashi

harai goshi

osoto gari

These throws generally find long legs to be an advantage.

more likely your problem is not enough uchikomi and no kuzushi, when you drill a throw enough you should be able to turn in eventually and use it in randori.

stiff armers will not learn anything, hiza guruma or sasae tsurikomi ashi will probably work on them.

http://www.judoinfo.com has gifs of all the throws i've mentioned.

..if you're lucky mtripp or coach josh will give you some advice, in which case you can pretty much ignore my post.
    Thanks for the advice the part about uchikomi and kuzuchi rings true, i think i have the turning ability of a double decker bus. I just cant get my feet to act as quickly as id like.

Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    Seriously?

I'm a shortish stocky guy, and I can tell you exactly what I hate from the tall guys: Harai goshi. And uchi mata. Osoto gari/otoshi (the one where you reach across and hook your heel into the knee). Anything with the high collar grip - especially transitioning to the koshi gurum/headlock grip.

Oh, and stand in an extreme right or left stance and bear down on the guy. That sucks.

Forget sacrifice throws for now.
    Thanks, but is it just me or is osoto gari impossible to do in randori? especially against stiff armers. My feet just dont move quickly enough to do uchi mata or hari goshi without me getting countered. more uchikomi neede i suppose.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 3:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I am tall (6'3") and had the same issue when I started Judo especially against strong, short players. Some forms of stance work and stretching should help you increase your back/leg strength and flexibility and ability to drop low quickly.

Funny you should post that because thats the exact position that my opponents take when i try to throw them ;-)

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 3:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My spidey sense tells me coach josh would say ko uchi gari

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 3:32pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by adskibullus View Post
    Thanks for the advice the part about uchikomi and kuzuchi rings true, i think i have the turning ability of a double decker bus. I just cant get my feet to act as quickly as id like.

Thanks, but is it just me or is osoto gari impossible to do in randori? especially against stiff armers. My feet just dont move quickly enough to do uchi mata or hari goshi without me getting countered. more uchikomi neede i suppose.
    This osoto:

YouTube- Judo Throw: OSOTO GARI

If I had to guess, I'd say it's not really your foot speed for harai, it's your kuzushi. Mash his head with your tsurite hand and you'll have all the time in the world.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 3:34pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by adskibullus View Post
    Funny you should post that because thats the exact position that my opponents take when i try to throw them ;-)
    Does it help them? I am really curious because I did not do a lot of stance training or conditioning back when I was active in Judo (I wish I had) but I do a lot of footwork and stance training now and I can turn, get lower, and faster than I ever could in my 20s.

For a tall guy working/training to lower your center of mass seems to be a good idea, in addition to practicing the throwing techniques. Is that right?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast