Posted On:
    7/08/2010 7:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thinking of cross training Eskrima & Judo

Hi,

Suppose I should give y'all a history of myself so you can give a more informed answer...

I'm currently a yellow belt at Judo (starting again after a years absence due to various things which I dont really need to go into here)

For a while last year, I practiced Shotokan Karate as well...only to find it very dull and dusty...none of the sparring which I so enjoy in Judo.

After coming back to Judo I am once again considering a striking art.

I've got a friend who's currently practicing (and swears by) Eskrima, had a lil' look at it...and it looks interesting...

He says he trains with under man called Krishna Godhania, who I've heard is pretty good in the world of Eskrima (admittedly off the same friend, but I've no reason to distrust him)

I guess basically, my question is, would Eskrima and Judo complement each other? what might each discipline bring to the other and so on...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 11:35am

Style: Suntukaran

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you'll stick fight, a grappling and throwing art such as judo is a must, and so will complement each other. Eskrima can mean a lot of things but most are not unlike most karate styles, dull and boring. If the eskrima style focuses on a lot of blade training, then the majority of the techniques in grappling arts will have minimal merits. Better to take a few lessons first before committing to one style of eskrima.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 2:35pm

Style: Southern Kung Fu, BJJ, AK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am by no means an expert. I've been doing kali for about 8 months now and jiu jitsu for 3.5 years. I would agree with Gulogod in the sentiment that attempting to grapple empty handed against a bladed opponent is not good idea.

However, if we are talking about grappling in the sense of arm locks, wrist locks, body angles (and not doing a gogoplata on someone with a knife) I think grappling is great with kali/escrima blade work. Meaning that if you yourself have the blade AND know how to grapple, you become that much more of a bad ass. The Sayocs love their blade work and incorporate a lot of grappling into their curriculum (largely influenced by silat).

I personally like grappling within knife work because it makes you aware of one more element of a random fight. I.e. you don't know that the other person is unarmed. Both arts train you to be aware of your body position, your opponent's body position the possible outcomes are for engaging them at certain distances.

As I am a noob in the world of kali/escrima, I can't offer any feed back on the instructor you mentioned.

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 5:27pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been doing Arnis for about 4 years and I recently started BJJ. I think grappling is an important and largely overlooked aspect of stickfighting.

Here's my take on grappling with sticks. If someone charges you while you're armed with a stick all they've got to do is take a few strikes before they're on you, in which case you'd better know what to do when you have a stick and find yourself grappling an opponent.

Yes crosstrain in judo, i'd just make sure you're at lest decent at one art before taking up another.

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 2:52am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like good things being said!

I am going to try and get a better knowledge of Judo before going into Eskrima I think...but it is definately looking like a good one to cross train now!

Another small question

the triangle footwork in Eskrima, what's that all about - and might it translate well into Judo?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 7:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funnily enough I am considering going the other way as I am already training on Eskrima but want to cross train in Judo.

Anyway, I just wanted to give you a second opinion that Krishna Godhania is indeed well respected on the UK Eskrima scene. My own teacher speaks very highly of him.

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 8:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Rapid Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did a short session with Krishna at the BCKEAI gathering last month - really nice guy, and gave us some good material with regards bladework (using the live hand to counter locks, disarms, and takedowns).

If you're interested in eskrima and judo, you might be interested in our seminar coming up in London on the 24th-25th. On the Saturday, Pat O'Malley will be taking us through double dagger work and eskrido (spelt escrido on the poster), which is eskrima and judo combined!

Check it out here:
    Rapid Arnis London seminar - July 24th-25th - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 9:07am

Style: PTK, MT, & Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to suggest Eskrido but you beat me to it. Depending on where you are located, if you can find a Cacoy Doce Pares group, you will have your Eskrima with some Judo mixed in already. That would go a long way towards taking the guess work out of integrating the arts in a way that handles footwork as well as the idea of certain judo specific movements exposing you to weapons attacks that have been discussed above. If you are really into this idea, that is the group you should seek out without question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskrido

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 7:08pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a great combination. Learning some legitimate takedowns from Judo will open up whole new avenues in stickfighting. In general the takedowns that you'll learn from a Judo instructor will have be better than what you would learn from your average FMA instructor. Judo specializes in takedowns, this is good.

Learning sticks will make you a lot more aware of the threat weapons pose, and where you are vulnerable if you're trying to grapple someone in a combative setting. FMA will educate you quickly on this. This is good too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2010 3:21am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by konishiki View Post
    Anyway, I just wanted to give you a second opinion that Krishna Godhania is indeed well respected on the UK Eskrima scene. My own teacher speaks very highly of him.
    Well regarded in the entire Euro eskrima scene, as far as I know (pretty sure about Belgium, France and Germany).

Incredibly nice guy, to boot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast