Never ask him for change.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 8:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He seems awful young to be a grandmaster of anything noteworthy. His Korean page shows his address to be somewhere in HwangHak-dong, Seoul (near the fleamarket) that's close enough to my current office for me to visit pretty easily on a weekend (although that initiative will undoubtedly be procrastinated upon indefinitely). Unfortunately, I would not be much of a litmus test for him even if I were to stop by, since my martial background is limited primarily to shooting and cutting (or whacking with shinai, as the case may be). He looks pretty into himself from what I can make of his various Korean messages - mentioning him as a Greg Park inspiration seems like a good call.

Added note: It is interesting that kwanjang can mean either superintendent/administrator ~or~ intestinal irritation, depending on the context. Coincidence?
    Last edited by Mr. Loobner; 7/08/2010 8:18pm at . Reason: added note.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 9:51pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Loobner View Post
    He seems awful young to be a grandmaster of anything noteworthy.
    He's in his early 40s.

Kwanjang does not mean grandmaster.

Let me know when you have another stupid comment to make.

Unfortunately, I would not be much of a litmus test for him even if I were to stop by, since my martial background is limited primarily to shooting and cutting (or whacking with shinai, as the case may be). He looks pretty into himself from what I can make of his various Korean messages - mentioning him as a Greg Park inspiration seems like a good call.
    He's legit and nothing like Greg Park.

Added note: It is interesting that kwanjang can mean either superintendent/administrator ~or~ intestinal irritation, depending on the context. Coincidence?
    Yup. None of those mean grandmaster.:spam4:

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 1:35am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Throwing stuff is theraputic and good practice. I am an avid knoife thrower and it helps the other skill sets tremendously. His grip on the coin is very instructive.... I started not long ago working with a no rotational throw and you can get amazing results... it is fun stuff. I can stick most anything but no plastic chopsticks yet. Yes keys are a blast, butter knives are fun because they are light so hard as **** to throw.

I can nail at about 20 feet. After that I lose my consistancy fast. :jihad1:

Great for taijustus also for you Boojers... why? cause you have to be very conscious of weight transfer and relaxed movement or the knife will not do what you want it to do.
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 1:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He seems awful young to be a grandmaster of anything noteworthy. His Korean page shows his address to be somewhere in HwangHak-dong, Seoul (near the fleamarket) that's close enough to my current office for me to visit pretty easily on a weekend (although that initiative will undoubtedly be procrastinated upon indefinitely). Unfortunately, I would not be much of a litmus test for him even if I were to stop by, since my martial background is limited primarily to shooting and cutting (or whacking with shinai, as the case may be). He looks pretty into himself from what I can make of his various Korean messages - mentioning him as a Greg Park inspiration seems like a good call.
    I would train with him in a second.

I don't think he has too much of an ego, as he posted a class sparring video which showed him getting kicked in the face by one of his students.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 3:30am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    He's in his early 40s.

Kwanjang does not mean grandmaster.

Let me know when you have another stupid comment to make.

He's legit and nothing like Greg Park.
    Yup. None of those mean grandmaster.:spam4:
    Perhaps the content of my post was misunderstood; my fault entirely.

For clarification:
    Hwajang is Grandmaster, denjang is bean paste, ganjang is soy sauce, jang-jang means tedious... though I suppose that's rather pointless to mention. The grandmaster comment was not stated as a reference to kwanjang (as was apparently deduced afterward.) I overstepped a boundary by calling him a grandmaster in the first place, as it does not appear to be specifically mentioned on either of his sites. Early 40's still seems a tad young, but perhaps he is just that awesome. My bad.

Also, legitimacy notwithstanding, stating that he could have been an inspiration for Greg Park's shenanigans does not necessarily constitute a comparison. Aside from being Korean and having an obvious predilection for hurling pointy things, he and Park could easily be totally different and that statement could technically still be accurate.

The only thing I saw that seemed off was the certification program offered by his school, though I might be reading too much into it. His videos are admittedly rather impressive. As I said before, I'm not too knowledgeable in punchy-kicky-grabby-rolly MA's.

I any case, my stupid comments are relatively easy to find, just click my user-name and search my posts from the drop-down menu; all of them might be considered stupid, depending upon one's perspective.
    I'm sure that having me tell you every time I post something stupid would be annoying after a while, not to mention redundant.

(That last part was a bit of a joke. Just thought I would mention it, since it is hard to determine tone of voice through text on the internet.)

Braced for my thrashing.:binkybaby

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 1:51pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are there any keys thrown in that first video? Keys would have impressed me I've been throwing screwdrivers since I was 10.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123