Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 2:16am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jiu/ju/kettlebells/cma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lu Tze, dude, chill. I'm not building up to any jingoistic rant, was just curious. Economics and the different ways it can be interpreted is an area of study that I get interested in every so often, that's all. I think, depending on how "richest country earth has ever known" is defined, you could make an arguement for other countries holding that title. But since this is getting off-topic, I'll shut up about it. I understand your frustration with the original post, I felt similarly about the san shou reference, but I really didn't mean any offence with my reply. And while I think the American education system is often a lot better than its given credit for being, depending on what state/city/neighborhood you find yourself in, I think you probably got a better education than I did through high school level if you grew up in the UK.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 2:23am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jiu/ju/kettlebells/cma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula View Post
    Thai style muaythai schools typically have a strong focus on the intricacies of the clinch, fast round kicks and teeps. Dutch style schools have a stronger emphasis on "kickboxing" combinations and hard leg kicks. The stances and footwork between the two styles are drastically different as are the kicking mechanics.
    Really interesting, thank you for the explanation. Would it be fair to say that most of the muay thai we see in MMA is of the Dutch style, or am I mistaken? If you could give an example of each style of fighter in MMA, or who's muay thai fights would be easily findable on Youtube, I'd be fascinated to watch and compare.

Also, I was interested in Ronin's mention of crescent kicks in muay thai, hadn't realized they were there, don't think I've ever seen them in any of the books I've looked at. Are there any good books or clips on the internet that would illustrate some of the training methods used for crescent kicks, or would anyone be willing to describe them? I'm interested to compare them to how crescent kicks are used and trained in other styles, like northern Chinese martial arts and capoeira.

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 2:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dutch Muay Thai emphasizes boxing, leg kicks and the LEEVAR SHOT!

Thai Muay Thai emphasizes the clinch, teeps (front kicks) and round kicks EVERYWHERE. Punching is really just to setup your kicks. Unless your Anuwat or Yodsanklai.

Footwork is different also. Thai's typically move forward or at an angle (still forward though). The Dutch? No fucking clue but I have heard that they teach you how to back peddle and pick your shots at the same time (step back, LEEVAR SHOT).

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 2:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Raymon Dekkers is a good example of the dutch style (In my limited knowledge)
    YouTube- Ramon Dekkers-Highlights

This is also, to a degree and probably because of the dutch, called the european style of muay thai. Unless you're being trained by a Thai or your teacher was trained by a Thai you will probably be learning this way.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 9:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pen View Post
    Lu Tze, dude, chill. I'm not building up to any jingoistic rant, was just curious. Economics and the different ways it can be interpreted is an area of study that I get interested in every so often, that's all. I think, depending on how "richest country earth has ever known" is defined, you could make an arguement for other countries holding that title.
    Eh, now I feel like an arsehole...

It was just a silly joke though, no need to over analyse it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 12:16pm

Style: Working out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula View Post
    Thai style muaythai schools typically have a strong focus on the intricacies of the clinch, fast round kicks and teeps. Dutch style schools have a stronger emphasis on "kickboxing" combinations and hard leg kicks. The stances and footwork between the two styles are drastically different as are the kicking mechanics.
    The only thing he does different is he keeps his hands plastered to his cheekbones in our stances, maybe more of a dutch style?

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 3:40pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pen View Post
    Really interesting, thank you for the explanation. Would it be fair to say that most of the muay thai we see in MMA is of the Dutch style, or am I mistaken? If you could give an example of each style of fighter in MMA, or who's muay thai fights would be easily findable on Youtube, I'd be fascinated to watch and compare.

Also, I was interested in Ronin's mention of crescent kicks in muay thai, hadn't realized they were there, don't think I've ever seen them in any of the books I've looked at. Are there any good books or clips on the internet that would illustrate some of the training methods used for crescent kicks, or would anyone be willing to describe them? I'm interested to compare them to how crescent kicks are used and trained in other styles, like northern Chinese martial arts and capoeira.
    I've only seen them done in demostrations of traditional Muay Thai while in Thailand. They also demonstrated axe kicks, back kicks, side kicks, spinning heel kicks and jumping versions of several kicks. I would equate it to probably being along the lines of Muay Boran or Muay chaiya, something that is not as commonly taught but where Modern Muay Thai derives most of it's techniques. Unlikely it's going to show up in your standard Muay Thai book.
    安氏八极拳学生

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 5:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ACTUALLY
    he also mentioned his style doesn't allow elbows which really confused me so maybe it isn't regular thai

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 8:22pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To me no elbows = something other than Muay Thai, maybe San Da.
    安氏八极拳学生

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 9:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74 View Post
    To me no elbows = something other than Muay Thai, maybe San Da.
    Then I'm not so dumb after all for thinking it was sanshou in the first place...

regardless, he just beat the living **** out of me in class today and I fully believe he can teach Martial Arts well.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast