221965 Bullies, 3934 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 5 of 5
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. jspeedy is offline
    jspeedy's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,616

    Posted On:
    7/07/2010 5:52pm


     Style: FMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    FMA weapons vs kung fu weapons

    Do other traditional weapons styles (ex. kung fu, japanese weapons) incorporate the contact drills and sparring that are common in FMA? This thread isn't intended to be a FMA nutriding thread, I'm attempting to answer questions myself as well as others might have about other traditional weapons styles. If you do traditional weapons feel free to chime in on your training and experiences.

    I've seen some kung fu weapons demos in 2 man sets where the weapons are pulled and never make contact. I've seen a lot of karate schools advertise weapons training but all that is actually taught are katas. I know somewhere there must be more to these traditional styles that I'm missing.

    Of course, all weapons styles as well as FMA practice single man strikes or forms. I'm just curious how other weapons systems practice applications. Even within FMA practitioners start off doing drills where the sticks make contact to get a feel for a good block. FMA also incorporates flow drills to get the student used to moving around with the weapon. Do other styles do similar training?

    Here's a few examples of what I'm looking for in other weapons styles.

    FMA full contact sparring
    YouTube- Dog Brothers: WARNING: Stick fighting IS Dangerous...

    FMA contact drill-the thread is titled sparring but what is demonstrated is more of drill that incoprorates random attacks done in a controlled manner.
    YouTube- Balintawak Bobby Taboada Sparring

    FMA basic flow drill
    YouTube- Escrima Double stick flow drills

    Bonus push ups for video of other weapons styles vs FMA!
    Last edited by jspeedy; 7/07/2010 5:53pm at . Reason: can't spell
  2. Petter is offline

    12th level logic wielder

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,964

    Posted On:
    7/07/2010 6:29pm


     Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Do other traditional weapons styles (ex. kung fu, japanese weapons) incorporate the contact drills and sparring that are common in FMA?

    [...]

    I've seen some kung fu weapons demos in 2 man sets where the weapons are pulled and never make contact. I've seen a lot of karate schools advertise weapons training but all that is actually taught are katas. I know somewhere there must be more to these traditional styles that I'm missing.
    But to what degrees are those really “weapons styles”? FMAs are often described as “stick fighting [with an unarmed component]”. Karate (rebranded “empty hand” with some reason, after all!) is an unarmed art with occasionally some weapons forms thrown in, looking for all the world like an after-thought, and as such it’s hardly surprising if the quality is lower.

    There are lots of JMAs where weapons are central—sojutsu, kendo/kenjutsu, iaido, bojutsu, naginatajutsu, kyudo…some of them (e.g. kendo) notably have large amounts of contact training. I would also argue that some, most, or even all of them are “more traditional” than, say, karate. (Spear, bow, and sword have surely shaped more of Japan’s history than empty-handed fighting.) But this seems so obvious that I feel like I must be missing the point of your question…?

    (Of course there are various very traditional WMA styles as well, from Fiore, Capo Ferro, or Lichtenauer to Olympic fencing, all of which regularly see swords crossing, but it sounds like you’re looking for Asian MAs, here.)
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”
  3. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,743

    Posted On:
    7/07/2010 7:03pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CMA is tricky and contact is rare compared to most FMA groups. Mostly, it entails 2-man Sets which look good but, are choreographed.

    There are a few schools and events popping up that are interesting.
    YouTube- Jifeng Chinese Martial Arts Club - chinese sword competition demonstration
    YouTube- kung fu weapons sparring
    YouTube- World Jianshu Continuous Sparring Exhibition 7 28 09

    Yes, I know, not to the level of DBs. Still, it is much better than this stuff:
    YouTube- Jackie Chan - SNAKE & CRANE ARTS OF SHAOLIN opening credits
    Which is fun, but doesn't translate to actual fighting.
  4. jspeedy is offline
    jspeedy's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,616

    Posted On:
    7/07/2010 7:28pm


     Style: FMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    But to what degrees are those really “weapons styles”? FMAs are often described as “stick fighting [with an unarmed component]”. Karate (rebranded “empty hand” with some reason, after all!) is an unarmed art with occasionally some weapons forms thrown in, looking for all the world like an after-thought, and as such it’s hardly surprising if the quality is lower.

    There are lots of JMAs where weapons are central—sojutsu, kendo/kenjutsu, iaido, bojutsu, naginatajutsu, kyudo…some of them (e.g. kendo) notably have large amounts of contact training. I would also argue that some, most, or even all of them are “more traditional” than, say, karate. (Spear, bow, and sword have surely shaped more of Japan’s history than empty-handed fighting.) But this seems so obvious that I feel like I must be missing the point of your question…?

    (Of course there are various very traditional WMA styles as well, from Fiore, Capo Ferro, or Lichtenauer to Olympic fencing, all of which regularly see swords crossing, but it sounds like you’re looking for Asian MAs, here.)
    Kendo and iaido are two obvious weapons systems that might compare to FMA and I thought of these while wirting the OP. Does iaido or kenjutusu do any contact work? I've seen two partners do sets with "live" blades where strikes are pulled but I was unaware that they did any contact work. IF you're familiar with drills or specifics of how other traditional JMA weapons arts train feel free to share that's why I posted the question. It's be great if you could post videos demonstrating training aspects of these arts, all i've seen are demos.
  5. jspeedy is offline
    jspeedy's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,616

    Posted On:
    7/07/2010 9:31pm


     Style: FMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    CMA is tricky and contact is rare compared to most FMA groups. Mostly, it entails 2-man Sets which look good but, are choreographed.

    There are a few schools and events popping up that are interesting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulakgClpuLA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V0XLacbyxI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLOINK0Bekc

    Yes, I know, not to the level of DBs. Still, it is much better than this stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljw8sA_FfmY
    Which is fun, but doesn't translate to actual fighting.
    Nice links, this is the stuff I was looking for.

    Also I found a link to this vid.

    Chinese wudang sword vs FMA
    YouTube- CHINESE WUDANG SWORD vs PHILIPPINES MARTIAL(3)

    FMA vs Kendo
    YouTube- Kendo vs. Escrima

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.