Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 10:13am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: No-Gi/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

YMAS Barvo thread

I think just about all instructors have their lineage on their site. Example from my former instructors site:

"Mauricio continue his training for the next years and eventually received the rank of Black Belt from Professor Caique in 2004."

http://zinganobjj.com/about.html

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 10:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GOREILLAMAN View Post
    I think just about all instructors have their lineage on their site. Example from my former instructors site:

"Mauricio continue his training for the next years and eventually received the rank of Black Belt from Professor Caique in 2004."

http://zinganobjj.com/about.html

You're correct about most instructors doing that, and this is part of the reason that some of these issues have come up. Mr Barvo's credentials are not clearly spelled out on his site; previous inquiries about his lineage have not produced an answer, and he has given what appears to be conflicting information to people about it in the past.

If all of this can be cleared up and this lineage can be verified and proven, I'll be the first person to apologize to Mr. Barvo, and I will do it face to face. But unfortunately for him I dont think there is going to be a "satisfactory" ending to this.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/07/2010 3:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Jits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On one hand I hate the way that this whole thing comes off like a witch hunt, some of you seem like you will be really happy to see this guy taken down just for fun as much as defending the sport.

But I can understand the need to get the info, and I do find it disturbing and suspicious that Matt won't simply confirm his lineage here or even to myself. I hope we get an answer soon. Maybe the guy here that trains there can ask Matt for us and see what happens. I'd like to see this over.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/07/2010 4:04pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rugburn View Post
    i thought the bjj comunity was a little more friendly until recently .
    i know that matt even did a guest seminar at another local gym about a year ago.
    it wasnt until the first grapplers challenge that all this trash talk started.
    if you want to discuss lineage there is a easy to find web site for team beast, my suggestion would be to come to a free class and ask him personally.
    bjj is supposed to be fun. we should be working together to build the sport, not trying to pull others down. most of us here are adults, and in turn should be acting like it. if you have a question ask the person to whom it concerns. if any of you really care to know the truth pertaining to this thread, i say step out from behind the keyboards , make yourself avalible, and just come roll !!!!!!!!!!
    The sport has been built already what are you talking about. I think you mean further the sport. It is friendly unless you are shown to be lying about rank or an outright fraud. Ask Tiger Klay, Robson, and a guy that claimed to be a Black Belt and removed his profile from a college website.

Posted On:
    7/07/2010 4:22pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisOdell View Post
    On one hand I hate the way that this whole thing comes off like a witch hunt, some of you seem like you will be really happy to see this guy taken down just for fun as much as defending the sport.

But I can understand the need to get the info, and I do find it disturbing and suspicious that Matt won't simply confirm his lineage here or even to myself. I hope we get an answer soon. Maybe the guy here that trains there can ask Matt for us and see what happens. I'd like to see this over.
    Its not a witch hunt if its true. This could have been ended if he hadn't tucked tail and supplied the information. The only way to keep the sport respectable is to do whatever we can to root out the people who prey on the ignorant for their money. Otherwise it'll just descend into Villari-esque bullshit.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/07/2010 6:26pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    7/07/2010 7:00pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those who whinge about the "witch hunt" and bullshido's apparent "enjoyment" in weeding out frauds miss the point. There is no enjoyment in proving a martial arts fraud, the enjoyment is in the pride of securing the purity of the martial art.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/07/2010 10:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisOdell View Post

I did my best to make it clear to Rugburn (the guy that trains there) that this isnt a "witch hunt" kind of thing, and I have every intention on going in there with Rugburn next Wednesday, asking Mr. Barvo some questions, and having a good time rolling with them. If we can actually get a verifiable lineage from Mr. Barvo and verify it, I'll be the first person standing in line to apologize to him, and I will do my best to support him in the local BJJ community. But if he IS lying about it all ... that is not only a stain on the BJJ community as a whole, but its also a slap in the face to cheat his students out of their money.