Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 8:02pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to say Tai Chi and really mean it. That was one of the reasons I started looking around. My knees are f-ed up and I've had this injury in my right hand that is starting to effect my ability to work. So I layed of the grappling and started doing Tai Chi. But legit Tai Chi, the school I am going to does competition push hands, San Shou tournaments, and grappling competitions. Though the grappling is not as much of the others.

The push hands had been really cool and actually helped my wrestling. If you find a good school, you will probably like it.

Oh and my arm healed up after about 3 months of not having it torqued on!!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 8:11pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    Toshindo. No I'm not kidding. Toshindo is ninjers (at least some) actually doing it right.

Also do Yoga. Trust me between falling out of planes and fending off younguns trying to prove something, Yoga has kept me going.
    You have clearly been meeting different Toshindoistas than I have. The stuff I've encountered made the booj look slick.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 8:13pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was serious about Tai Chi as well, especially if you can find a teacher like this guy:

YouTube- Master Chen Bing's Push-Hand 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 8:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    You have clearly been meeting different Toshindoistas than I have. The stuff I've encountered made the booj look slick.
    I know and I shared the same veiw point but I've met many of them that have went the right way. One who runs a school near hear is a MMA fighter and trains under Team ROC. The schools here work to see what will work and what doesn't. they spar hard (I've attended several sessions) which is way way ahead of your average buj.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 8:27pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    I was joking, I'm a previous BJJer and I agree, Judo is harder on the body. That was my comedy part, falling flat on its funny fucking face.

Alright, general discussion part, being serious, if it is no injuries you want, TKD for flexibility?
    TKD, maybe. But after years of Bullshido, TKD leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Toshindo. No I'm not kidding. Toshindo is ninjers (at least some) actually doing it right.

Also do Yoga. Trust me between falling out of planes and fending off younguns trying to prove something, Yoga has kept me going.
    I'm on the yoga bandwagon. :)

Quote Originally Posted by soldiermedic25 View Post
    aiki jujitsu...its kinda like judo lite

Or Bando...it seems well balanced and the name is catchy.
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 8:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and as for the Taijiquan (notice I referred to the MA correctly so bow to my superior geekiness!!!) As a former Chen Taijiquan practitioner I will not recommend it at an alternative to BJJ.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 8:33pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
    I was serious about Tai Chi as well, especially if you can find a teacher like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIc5NIfrnJs
    WOW! That was awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 8:39pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know and I shared the same veiw point but I've met many of them that have went the right way. One who runs a school near hear is a MMA fighter and trains under Team ROC. The schools here work to see what will work and what doesn't. they spar hard (I've attended several sessions) which is way way ahead of your average buj.
    TO be fair, that's way ahead of your average Toshindo as well.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 8:54pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Just when I thought this dude could not be more badass, I am again impressed. Yoga, especially Ashtanga Yoga kicks ass. I'm not kidding.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 9:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quick question to the OP: where the hell are you training BJJ where you're getting seriously hurt so frequently??? Maybe it could be as simple as finding a new place to roll where there's a little more spirit of "mutual benefit"? I'm sure there has to be such a place in LA?
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast