Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 6:49am

Style: PTK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pathetic noob question re 'live drills'

sorry for the noob question but I'm just curious as to what's meant by 'live drilling'. I've seen that used here a number of times and I'm a little confused by what it is exactly.

Anyway, here's what I think it means and how it differs from sparring (and please correct me if I got it wrong)

Live drilling - practicing drills and techniques but not sticking to the prescribed pattern, but rather going beyond it and flowing in and out of the pattern and even attempting to add new elements into it, like new angles and strikes. The live drill is execute 'out of the box', emphasizing free flow rather than structure. Both parties are trying to 'insert' a thrust or strike to catch the other off guard and test each others ability to improvise and adapt to the circumstances. Range shifts dynamically, from largo to corto. Minimal contact is allowed and strikes are half speed or half power for safety. Head gear and gloves aren't necessary. This is different from just doing a drill, sticking to it and not breaking out of the set movements.

Sparring - obviously no set patterns or drills to start with or follow. Each party is free to attack at speed or with power (depending of course on the agreed upon rules or limitations). Headgear and gloves are required. Usually used 'live sticks'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 10:56am

Style: Northern Shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found this reading through forums. This seems to answer and offer insight into 'live' practice in general, and what a live drill would need to be.

YouTube- Words of Wisdom PT 1

Hope this helps. Keep looking around the site. I have found many good peices of information and helpful people here.

Best of luck.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/07/2010 12:52am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kajukenbo Tum Pai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    by my definition, there are two types of drills, static and live. Static drills are pre-prescribed, left foot steps here punch on 3rd count, etc. live drills are more free flowing, you may incorporate several static drills (we call them tricks in my school) but the exact execution may be different.

examples
    static - dummy attacks with left foot forward, grabing lappel with left hand and throwing a right haymaker on a 3 count....

live - 4 dummies place at front, rear, left, and right. numbered in some order. dummy one attacks first the others in succession, immediately on first contact of dummy numbered before, not moving until time to attack. dummy one attacks with trick 1, dummy 2 with trick 2 etc.

or it could be dummy gets a stick/knife, you take it away from them.

or it could be 7 (or how ever may are available) people are going to attack you, three strikes and they are down and out. get to the door/beat them all to hell/whatever the drill is.

live is loosely defined by anything not fixed. static is fixed.

same sort of thing, video is probably more what your thinking (its a good def). hope this helps.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/07/2010 3:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by teh_pelt View Post
    live - 4 dummies place at front, rear, left, and right. numbered in some order. dummy one attacks first the others in succession, immediately on first contact of dummy numbered before, not moving until time to attack. dummy one attacks with trick 1, dummy 2 with trick 2 etc.
    That is not a live drill by Thornton's definition, which is the commonly accepted one since he invented the term:
    YouTube- What is Aliveness - Matt Thornton
    http://www.aesopian.com/68/what-is-a...matt-thornton/

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    7/07/2010 3:45am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Live drills require resisting opponents. You can drill live for example you're moving around one person is trying to only use the jab the other person is only bobbing and weaving.