Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/07/2010 5:06am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see the pros and cons, and I love Rodney's work. I can even break it down to the different stages in a man's life.

Before 40, I wanted to test myself against others. Now, I just want to be better than I was yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Posted On:
    7/07/2010 8:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I competed in Karate and compete in Judo only because I want the full experience of the MA I'm involved in. I can't say something is/isn't for me without trying it, and even trying it once isn't enough really, because you have to get over your nerves a bit before you can feel it for what it is, but I didn't enjoy it enough to be a truly avid competitor. Moments of hearing a crowd go nuts because of something awesome you did were great, but I could really give 2 shits about plastic trophies, shiai points, belts, etc. etc.

I didn't value the competition itself much, but the experience of preparing for it was very good for me. Anyone can train a little harder for themselves, but human nature being what it is, we work harder when there is some sort of impending purpose. Plus, I didn't want to find myself a hypocrit one day, a black belt teaching kids who wanted to compete and giving them tips from a 3rd person POV.

That being said, I've never been truly competitive about MA. To me it's always been a self-driven experience, about me being better than the me of yesterday. I think a lot of it is due to the fact I sucked at team sports growing up and saw MA as an alternative to sports, instead of a different type of sport. I saw the point of playing baseball to win baseball games, but the point of Karate to learn how to fight which was different than winning matches. I could draw really well as a kid and improved all the way till 12th grade (and even took some of the offbeat art major classes in college like lithography), but I didn't major in art or try to make a career out of it. It was just something I liked doing and happened to not be bad at. Something like that is how I saw it...
    Last edited by maofas; 7/07/2010 8:23am at .

Posted On:
    9/28/2010 3:38pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandinha View Post
    I see the pros and cons, and I love Rodney's work. I can even break it down to the different stages in a man's life.

Before 40, I wanted to test myself against others. Now, I just want to be better than I was yesterday.
    Seems to go into even more detail in his book on coaching/running a school something "GAME" i think(check it out on amazon)

Pretty much half the book is devoted to dissecting why or why not someone should compete?

I do think he tends not to fit the profile of your typical western martial artist.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/28/2010 4:07pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he's full of crap. There are plenty of reasons to compete that are not ego driven. Frankly I learn more in tournaments than I do in the gym because I'm a nice guy who likes his training partners. Every once in a while on fight day I get to not like the person I'm fighting with.

If he can't see that it is probably because he's an ass that goes too hard in the gym already. Or I at least get that impression from seeing videos where he drops people with body shots when they are at seminars.
    Last edited by WhiteShark; 9/28/2010 4:13pm at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/28/2010 5:33pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If a competitive platform in modern martial arts did not exist, would people still want to practice modern martial arts or put another way, would the ability to test oneself no longer exist?

I don’t believe the answers to these questions are complex.
    I think the answers are complex, so I wouldn’t try to do a whole article that only addressed one possibility.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2010 3:21am

Style: Wado ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP, the article ignore 3 things:
    1. It`s true, if you don`t like to sparr. It`s false, if you do. No one train and fight for the same reasons.
    2. The way he put it, we are morons if we don`t accept his views. Moron, in this case, mean bullie, ego maniacal, obsesive compulsive about winning, bad mouthed etc.
    3. Being extremist and allowing religion/spirituality to fuel your arguments is always a bad combo. I can understand his opinions, but this doesn`t mean I have to follow him. In my opinion, he is to eager to bash/point an acussing finger to my position if I object and this can`t be accepted, no matter if we are pro or against something.

Posted On:
    9/29/2010 2:37pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    9/29/2010 5:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    If he can't see that it is probably because he's an ass that goes too hard in the gym already. Or I at least get that impression from seeing videos where he drops people with body shots when they are at seminars.
    I got that impression too from his old instructionals. However, even if I haven't seen his recent work I think the guy is changing.

The Last Few Years
    Only in the last few years have I woken up to the realization that I did not understand my technique at all. Sure I had the technical understanding of technique, I knew how to throw a jab, I could make it land and if I wanted to, I could make it really hurt as well.
    But after reading and learning about embodied approaches to movement disciplines, I began to realize that while I understood the technical nature of martial movement, how to use it in a fight, I lacked an embodied understanding of what that movement truly meant to me. In fact I began to ask some really hard, often soul searching questions of myself and those who trained with me.
    Why did I feel terrible after knocking someone out in training in a hard sparring match, even when clearly the other guy was trying to do the same to me?
    Why did I go from calm to fully hitting out of anger, when I suddenly felt under threat in sparring from someone who I assumed should not be giving me game in the first place?
    Why do we naturally try to impress those who may be watching us on the sidelines when sparring?
    Why when someone looks like he may just have game or looks bigger and stronger do we feel the need to trash him as quick as we possible can?
    Why do we as men, spend so much time posturing and strutting around, often trying to give other men the impression that we are physically superior to them?
    And if my body is the outward manifestation of my consciousness, what does it say about the health of my consciousness in how I express my body through martial arts?
    http://crazymonkeydefense.com/blogs/?p=300

and

YouTube - Interview With Rodney King- Part 5- OS & Critics
    Last edited by DCS; 9/29/2010 5:31pm at .

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/29/2010 5:29pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All that proves to me is that he may have grown up a little but still hasn't owned the fact that it isn't necessarily "we as men" but Rodney King who was an asshole. The entire OP is applying his personal failings to all mankind. Great writers and philosophers move beyond trying to fit the world into their narrow view and accept that theirs is only one flawed view of the world.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    9/29/2010 6:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He sucks and he knows it. Competition helps separates what's "right" and what is not. As long as the rules are tailored to meet the objective of the martial art, ie being a better striker Muay Thai/K-1, Best nogi grappler ADCC, BJJ gi player Mundials. He can blow it out his ass, people who complain about competition having too much "ego" involved are often throwing some fucking stones in glass houses.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast