Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: injuries

  1. #11
    Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sanctuary of Pallas Athena (Belgium)
    Posts
    2,669
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by _V_ View Post
    This was the case with my injury. I had been working with the same guy for an hour and thought we had come to an understanding that you have to give people a chance to tap before the injury point. I guess I was wrong. I've been out 6 weeks now with a torn rotator cuff because of it.
    I've learned a few things:
    - complete noobs are the most dangerous to train with.
    - Judoka and Wrestlers jump to the submission --> tap early and really ram the 'position before submission'-mantra into their skull.
    - If you are really tired and someone suggest a 'last roll', let it slide. Most freak accidents happen in the 'last roll' (see sambosteve's legbreak thread for example).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

  2. #12
    battlefields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Australia, Land of Oz
    Posts
    5,271
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone roll with the guy that eases the sub on so you have ample time to tap, so you do, but then he quickly cranks it before letting go? **** I hate that guy. I told him repeatedly, dude, I have tapped, just release, but he is Asian and either uses the language barrier to be a dick, or really doesn't get that he is being a dick and the barrier prevents him from knowing it.

    And, yeah, I'm a 2year n00b, but when a really n00b n00b thinks they are the ****, they cause injuries. My knee is a current casualty.
    Last edited by battlefields; 7/07/2010 1:50am at . Reason: Crappy punctuation

  3. #13
    hpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Helsinki / Finland
    Posts
    2,203
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post
    - If you are really tired and someone suggest a 'last roll', let it slide. Most freak accidents happen in the 'last roll' (see sambosteve's legbreak thread for example).
    THIS. Zendokan my friend, you are wise beyond your years. 10% of my injuries have come from the first rolling while still not quite warmed up and the rest 90% from the last "I'm dead tired, but sure, let's take it easy" rolling. Actually the only injury that came between those was my shoulder exploding.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

  4. #14
    Hiro Protagonist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,432
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, while my grappling experiences are fairly small, I would suggest this to everyone, ESPECIALLY n00bs:

    Go and hit the gym the same as you hit the mat!!!

    If you have little time for training, go and lift the iron, don't go and fight.

    Build a base for a strong body, and keep smaller/freaky/idiotic injuries away.

  5. #15
    hpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Helsinki / Finland
    Posts
    2,203
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    Also, while my grappling experiences are fairly small, I would suggest this to everyone, ESPECIALLY n00bs:

    Go and hit the gym the same as you hit the mat!!!

    If you have little time for training, go and lift the iron, don't go and fight.

    Build a base for a strong body, and keep smaller/freaky/idiotic injuries away.
    I disagree. If you have little time for training do what you want to do most, don't just spend your whole time preparing for it.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

  6. #16
    Hiro Protagonist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,432
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depnds, IMO. As I said, this is something I usually recommend n00bs.

    I mean, I have seen people vomitting after warm-ups, and seen ligaments torn simply by throwing a bad punch at the bag.

    Most of that crap could have been eluded with a bit more "pushing zhe iron".

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    33
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post
    - Judoka and Wrestlers jump to the submission --> tap early and really ram the 'position before submission'-mantra into their skull.
    This was the case with my shoulder. It was the first roll after class and he went for an arm lock. He just cranked it way too fast for me to even tap before the damage was done. I had even told him I have tight shoulders and tap early on anything shoulder-related.

  8. #18
    Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sanctuary of Pallas Athena (Belgium)
    Posts
    2,669
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by _V_ View Post
    This was the case with my shoulder. It was the first roll after class and he went for an arm lock. He just cranked it way too fast for me to even tap before the damage was done. I had even told him I have tight shoulders and tap early on anything shoulder-related.
    Take revenge on a wrestler and Judoka by letting them start from the guard position. The first months they turn a whiter shade of pale just thinking about having their both shoulders on the ground :eusa_sick.

    Also fight "only gi" until you are upto the level of purple belt in BJJ or Shodan (black belt 1st degree) in Judo. Starting earlier with no-gi will only increase your chances on injuries. The gi makes the fight slower because of the extra grips in offense and defense, but more technical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    33
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post
    Also fight "only gi" until you are upto the level of purple belt in BJJ or Shodan (black belt 1st degree) in Judo. Starting earlier with no-gi will only increase your chances on injuries. The gi makes the fight slower because of the extra grips in offense and defense, but more technical.
    I've been doing the gi classes exclusively to this point. I can't make any of the no-gi classes anyway due to work, etc. I'm still a lowly white belt, so no worries about jumping into no-gi too soon for me.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO