Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 3:06am

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

injuries

it happens to be one of the best guys in our bjj class has broken his shoulder yesterday.

well, the thing is this is the 4th broken shoulder that happened in last 6 months.(maybe more maybe less but around 6 months) + an arm injury

And all of those guys are over blue belt level(except one girl, but she s also very close to blue belt too)
    Since i m in beijing and there are not so many high level belts in here (highest one is a purple belt) these guys are all the "high level guys" in the gym.
    If it were the white belts that was getting injured, i would just say "oh ok they dont know what they re doing so it happened" but its not like that.

It may be a little strange question (i m serious tho) but do you think could it be a problem about something we are doing?
    We don't roll %100 percent often too. We like doing flowing rolls more.

How often do you get injuries in your gym?
    What kind of serious injuries occured recently in the place you train?
    Are shoulder injuries so common for bjj training? what kind of injuries are common for each sport and what is the best way to avoid them?

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 3:36am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The orthopedist who operated on my shoulder seemed to know all about BJJ and I got the vibe that most BJJ related injuries he dealt with were shoulder injuries. However I have no statistics and his clinic is closely related to the organization Finnish BJJ Union had the group policy from for a couple of years, so no evidence there.

Most of the more serious injuries I've seen and heard of have been shoulders and knees. Knees from awkward takedowns and occasional leg locking mishaps. Shoulders on the other hand tend to get damaged by just rolling and scrambles and less with submissions.

How have the shoulder injuries happened in your gym? Are there common denominators like not tapping early enough / people are cranking submissions too fast? Are you doing good shoulder warm-ups before rolling? Do you do enough shoulder strengthening exercises?
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 3:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm starting to think that it is an ego thing:
    - they refuse to tap when stuck in a lock, still thinking that they can escape.
    or
    - their opponent cranks a submission from 0 to 100 in 1 second so that they haven't got the time to tap.

Or are the injuries substained during the shoots/takedowns? In that case train more ukemi.

I had my calfbone broken when an absolute noob jumped guard wrongly and hit with his full weight the inside of my knee --> 2 operations and six months out. But that happens, it is still a combat sport you're training in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 3:49am

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All these injuries happened when people were rolling but not from submissions.And we don't have those guys who doesn't want to tap in our gym. Instructor and the students all care about this. And no there are not many people who want to crank submissions.
    Instructor really discourages people from these kind of things. (for sure there would be exceptions, but the people got injured are not in those exceptions)

For shoulder warm-ups before training, well we dont do that to be honest. After the class we just start rolling (actually rolling is also a part of the class being observed by instructors)
    for shoulder strengthening exercises, well all of the guys who were injured are the people with strong and athletic bodies. I m sure they must be doing it themselves but inside the class, no.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 4:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroyunus View Post
    ...For shoulder warm-ups before training, well we dont do that to be honest. After the class we just start rolling (actually rolling is also a part of the class being observed by instructors)
    for shoulder strengthening exercises, well all of the guys who were injured are the people with strong and athletic bodies. I m sure they must be doing it themselves but inside the class, no.
    They can have overtrained their body in powertraining and bodybuilding making it prown to injuries.
    Remember that arm, shoulder and pecks are the fastest to show muscle growth, so there is a tendency to overtrain those muscles if they have not the right supervision in a gym, which put strainght on the bones.
    The shoulderbone is complex in structure and not so strong in comparison with other bones, so if it's already strained, a medium impact can make it brake.

Maybe you should pm Emevas to this thread, he knows more about muscle gainment then me. I only perform deadlifts on other BJJers while rolling :laughing6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 4:52am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Zendokan said. Plus warm ups before rolling is heartily recommended, because you never know what position you end up in even in a flowing roll/drill.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 4:20pm

Style: TKD/Kickboxing/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post

- their opponent cranks a submission from 0 to 100 in 1 second so that they haven't got the time to tap.
    This was the case with my injury. I had been working with the same guy for an hour and thought we had come to an understanding that you have to give people a chance to tap before the injury point. I guess I was wrong. I've been out 6 weeks now with a torn rotator cuff because of it.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 4:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm recovering from a Torn calf from holding onto mount and getting my foot trapped/twisted. There's definitely some weird injuries, I've seen shoulder, wrist, back, all types of muscles, elbow. The main thing I myself have is tendonitis. Best thing is RICE, warming up, and stretching. I'm definitely going back to yoga, it's 100% worth it if you want to keep training hard.

Also higher belts tend to spend more time training, and are prone to more injuries. I usually get injured training over the summer since I can go 5 days a week.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 7:07pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Both shoulders injured here. I've been out over a year due to my right shoulder separating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 9:28pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was assisting my teacher with some new students doing some throws. The guy I was working with straightened up on me instead of bending so when I fell instead of rolling away I went straight down on my shoulder, it might be worth mentioning that my teachers school is very spartan. Its a room he built on the back of his house and there are no mats just cement with a carpet over it. I dislocated and separated my shoulder. Luckly with helot I was back to about 80% use of that arm in a month.

Now in my own school the jiu-jitsu program was run by a very good instructor and injuries were fairly minimal. The worst that I can recall was an ankle injury I got and one student got his ribs compressed. Reason for this low injury rate? In my oppinion the low injury rate was because the instructor focused a lot on proper ukemi technique and guard passing skills.

If you could post a few examples of how these injuries occured it might help pinpoint the problem.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast