Sponsored Links Spacer Image

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 12:27am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What makes an early stoppage an early stoppage is the potential for the guy to come back. We bitch about early stoppages. So when a guy gets knocked down and comes back, we bitch about ... late stoppages?

The fight has other ending criteria. Mtripp, I'm sorry you feel the fight was over but guess what? No ippon in mma.

If brock was out and carwin was beating on him and the ref didn't stop it in time, why didn't brock, you know, pass out? Brock had a curled back and and neck and was stopping the punches away from his face. Carwin didn't knock him out, he ran out of gas first. Lesnar regained his feet. It's not as though the bell saved him.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 8:08am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which is why it increases safety, take away the gloves and you cut down on almost all closed-fist strikes thrown to the head. Not everyone wants to or can fight through a broken hand. Gloves were added to make it more fun to watch, same with stand-ups.
    They had to remove closed-fist strikes to the head for UFC 9. It almost single-handedly killed the organization.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 2:48pm

Style: Backyard Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    They had to remove closed-fist strikes to the head for UFC 9. It almost single-handedly killed the organization.
    Ughh. No, no it didn't.

They had a lot of problems that hurt the organization back them so pointing to any one thing as nearly killing it is unsupportable. Also, NOBODY fucking followed that rule, you are correct in that it was a rule but it was not enforced. McCarthy yells about it a few times but everyone disregards it and throws punches anyway. On top of that nobody is advocating removal of closed-fist strikes, just the removal of gloves to make the closed fist strike more realistic.

Yes it is a sport but it is the sport of fighting. Focus on the fact that it's a sport to much and we're gonna end up with some kinda gay ass San-Shou, kickboxing mix, with ippon rules and judges who have no idea what a real fight looks like. (Oh, uh, nevermind that last one there.)

Wait, didn't this thread have something to due with Cock Chestner v. The Vanilla Gorilla?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 6:09pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vanilla Gorilla! I like it. Personally I refer to him as Shane the Colorado Freight Train.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567