"Santa is dead kid, welcome to the suck"

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 9:25pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

the jab/cross

when you execute a jap cross do you turn your shoulder into it? I was deeply boggled today when a BJJ guy told me im not supposed to turn into my jab/cross and remain in a front - shoulders facing forward position when i throw these strikes. I only stared blankly at him wondering if he was for real or yanking my chain. Then i remembered that i was a pirate and his ninja manipulation had no sway over me. Seriously though, can some BJJ guys clarify for me whether im a moron or this guy is mentaly retarded?
    I have niether the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manor of which I provide it.
    -A few good men

As the internet turns - omega

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 9:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ guys giving advice on stand-up? First time for everything I guess.:)

If you're asking what I think you are, to me there is no real "right" answer. The more you turn your shoulder into the punch increases power and committment, but makes it harder to recover if you miss. You have to find your own balance point between power and safety.

Personally I try not to go past square on my rear hand, leaning toward good power and good recovery over good+x power and good-x recovery.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 10:11pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask BJJ guys about grappling
    Ask Boxers about punching

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 10:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I put my shoulder into it...its hell when you miss though.

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 11:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you put your shoulders into it, it's also easier to tuck your chin behind the shoulder for some protection. As long as you bring the arm back quickly, there really isn't a recovery issue as you can throw combinations with your shoulders square or with the lead shoulder up front. There is a trade-off between speed and power related to the use of shoulders, but better to hit with power than some flimsy jab which makes some cement head smile at you.

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 11:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everything posted is exactly what I would expect, and how I myself punch. I thought it funny that this guy who doesnt even train standing up with little to no striking (and no previous MA training) would say such a thing. I used to think BJJ guys were cool ;p
    I have niether the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manor of which I provide it.
    -A few good men

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 11:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a thought,

Could it be that there's an advantage to throwing a less commited attack if your real intention is to take him down anyways. It just occured to me that maybe keeping squared is more important to a BJJ guy than landing a good right cross?

I've never trained BJJ so I'm just curious. I mean, Vale Tudo guys seem to make all sorts of adjustments to their 'boxing' to compensate for certain other risks. Like overextending the elbow for example. If you in a boxing match it fine to go for as much range as you can where in a Vale Tudo match you might be asking to have your arm grabbed.

opinions?
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Posted On:
    2/23/2004 11:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmm, no.
    -A few good men

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    2/24/2004 12:02am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then i remembered that i was a pirate and his ninja manipulation had no sway over me.
    If you've already answered your own question, no need to start a thread.
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Posted On:
    2/24/2004 12:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Omar
    Just a thought,

Could it be that there's an advantage to throwing a less commited attack if your real intention is to take him down anyways. It just occured to me that maybe keeping squared is more important to a BJJ guy than landing a good right cross?

I've never trained BJJ so I'm just curious. I mean, Vale Tudo guys seem to make all sorts of adjustments to their 'boxing' to compensate for certain other risks. Like overextending the elbow for example. If you in a boxing match it fine to go for as much range as you can where in a Vale Tudo match you might be asking to have your arm grabbed.

opinions?
    Not so much an advantage as playing to a strength (or away from a weakness in the case of a grappler with limited stand-up skills). A good boxer should not partially commit to an attack.

It's very difficult to grab a boxers punch from distance. Attempting to do so is a good way to eat the next punch in the combo. At close range, things are a little different as it is easier to trap an arm.
    Last edited by punchingdummy; 2/24/2004 9:24pm at .
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast