Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2010 2:20am

Style: TKD & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ba ji quan in NYC?

I've seen some videos of ba ji and I like what I see. Problem is I can't seem to find a school in NYC that teaches ba ji quan. My question is does anyone know of any schools for ba ji in NYC?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2010 12:35am

Style: MMA, Wrestling, TMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    NY Wu Tang teaches some Baji, among other things. They look like a really high quality school. I hope this helps you.

www.wutang.org
    YouTube- NY WU TANG - Fighting compilation

Posted On:
    7/05/2010 9:53am

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShaolin View Post
    The kind of sparring they're doing in this video is very traditional, and certainly has a place in a training program, but I'm concerned that in the videos on their YouTube page there's no indication that they glove up and go harder:

YouTube- Baji contest in Cangzhou 1988

... it would be nice to see some footage of their guys fighting on the leitai (kuoshu or sanshou rules) as well.

Good luck to the OP. Baji isn't common in NYC.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    7/05/2010 10:46am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having looked at the website and watched the vids I would have to say that over all the school doesn't look too bad. On one hand I like what they're doing, on the other hand a couple of things caught my eye that you should be aware of. Please keep in mind I am speaking to their Baji, as it is my area of study and that is what the OP is interested in.

They trace their lineage to Liu Yuan Qiao. I know from my experience with other students of Liu Yuan qiao that, although they have some good practioners, their Baji curriculum is limited. I see that they teach Baji and Piqua together, which is fine. It is believed that originally Baji and Piqua were taught alongside one another but at some point a century or so ago they split and were taught independent of one another. It is my understanding that Li Shu Wen was the master who began once again teaching them together. I mention this because they are probably teaching them together today for 2 reasons, 1. That is how it was meant to be, 2. Their curriculum for each one independently is limited.

Another thing that caught my attention was the implication that you would need to complete other training before you would be allowed to train in Baji/Piqua. This sounds a little odd to me. My instructor is capable of teaching a myraid of systems, but never was I told that I had to first study one system before I could start another. Again this says to me that their Baji curriculm is limited.

I watched the school vid and saw at one point it labeled some of the sparring as "Baji". I saw some tinings in that sparring section that were indicative of Baji, but more of it looked like standard Chinese Wushu. Compare it with Jack Rusher's vid and this one of our own Lord Asia

YouTube- Fear the Baji

To be fair, on a personal note I am not a fan of the Taiwan Baji. I find in many cases it lacks the explosive power that I am accustomed to in the system and a lack of Shen fa. I also know of other Baji instructors from other branches of the art that were confused by what they saw when they watched practioners from Taiwan as they could not understand why they were doing portions of their forms in such a bizarre fashion.
    安氏八极拳学生

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2010 11:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jiu/ju/kettlebells/cma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have at least one other Baji option in Manhattan:

http://www.pachitanglang.com/

They appear to be at least a little more focused on it (the other school only has one baji class a week). As with the other school, you'll have to learn other stuff first (I have seen this before for baji), but it appears they teach it more frequently, and may get to it sooner, especially since you have previous experience. There was another teacher in NYC that used to teach Baji and Yin Fu Ba Gua at Dao NY, but I don't know where he is now; I'll ask around though and see if anyone else does. A google search turned up someone else teaching baji, but it seemed more like a wu shu school. Hope that helps.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    7/05/2010 12:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another nice find in NY. Having looked at the website it would appear they are part of the same lineage as the other one in some way shape or form. Taiwan based, Liu Yun Qiao lineage.

My recommendation would be to go check both of them out and try a class. Let them know that your interest lies in Baji and inquire about the extent of their curriculum.
    安氏八极拳学生

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2010 9:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jiu/ju/kettlebells/cma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the OP, if you get a chance to check out the schools and report back with some info about the schools, how they train, and what a class is like, that would be awesome. I've been curious about baji/pigua for a while, but I can't really justify going and checking out either school, as I know there's no chance I'll be joining anytime soon, and I'd feel like I was wasting the instructor's time to satisfy my curiosity.

For Ronin and others with Baji experience, it seemed, from the little I've seen and the one time I got to hang out with a baji practitioner for a bit at a tournament, like there were some similarities between baji and the hung ga I'd learned. If anyone would be willing to chat with me about it, either offline or in another thread, let me know. Thanks!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2010 4:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: working student

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.wutanusa.org/

They have a school in Flushing. It looks kinda like the same lineage. I am also think that you have to go through each style first.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    7/10/2010 5:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RimTickler View Post
    http://www.wutanusa.org/

They have a school in Flushing. It looks kinda like the same lineage. I am also think that you have to go through each style first.
    Yeah definitely part of the same lineage. To be honest as hard as it is to find a complete Baji curriculum in the U.S. , it's even harder to find Baji that is not out of Taiwan.

I also agree that it seems that they expect you to learn other things first, but it doesn't state that anywhere on the website. Without contacting them directly and inquiring about only training Baji you can't know for sure. That concept still confuses me a little.

I didn't have to go through that with my Shifu. I just showed up at the class one day told him that,
    "I already know who you are and I've already checked out your credentials with my contacts in China. I want to learn Baji not the performance crap everyone else is doing."

"No problem, I'll teach you Baji. What did your contacts in China say about me?"

"That you're a very famous teacher. And what the hell are you doing in Ohio."

"Ha! You hear that? They said I'm famous!"

7 years later I'm still with him, have finally gotten all the Baji he teaches, some Tong Bei, and I am now starting Xing Yi.
    安氏八极拳学生

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2010 11:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: working student

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well i did send them emails the school in east brunswick is open not during the summer bc mostly its in run in a middle school. i asked if they spar, never got an answer. lol never checked out the school bc i was always drinked on fridays.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast