Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2010 11:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Judo newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, i am beginning the program today. I have another 2 months working in Japan before i return to the states so i will have at least get 2 months straight before any missed workouts due to travel/living situation. Will take before and after pictures.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2010 11:58pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok i don't quite understand this part of the program. Am i supposed to add weight to get to the point where im also doing the pushups, inverted rows, reverse crunches, and chin-ups for 5 reps?

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    7/11/2010 1:14am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The supplementary exercises you just do for the specified sets/reps. I believe several of them are sets "To failure" so you do 3 sets of as many reps as you can.
    No need to do those for 5x5. It's spelled out in the PDF.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2010 4:38am

Style: MMA / BJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually i think that Starting Strength is a far better program than Stronglifts. The lower volume and lack of assistance work seems to give much faster strength gains.

I started on Stronglifts about 8 months ago but changed to starting strength after my 27th session (9 weeks) because the volume and assistance exercise made a linear progression too difficult. Starting strength allowed me to put about 30kg extra on my squat in a linear progression before i had to go to an intermediate program. That is a big difference.

www.startingstrength.com

they also have a wiki that details the program.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2010 9:51pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Update

I'm now 14 workouts into the stronglifts program and i gotta say, it's already doing great things for my grappling strength. Easiest to notice is my grip strength and endurance. I can hold collars, sleeves, and even wrists tight now without blowing out my forearms...indefinately. When i get a wrist in nogi, it becomes mine until i decide im finished with it.

Also my pushing and pulling strength has greatly increased. I know it's not good technique to pull and pull alot, but it's become so easy to keep a guy off or pull him in. The challenge is going to be not using this strength.

I also am doing a little noob kickboxing sparring once a week. After a few weeks in, i noticed that my legs no longer gas at all. I can be completely winded, barely able to keep my hands up, yet my legs are always fresh and sturdy as hell.

My waist has slimmed down alot as my chest and legs are expanding, yet I've remained at the same weight level. This program is the titties.
    Last edited by jfingaz123; 8/09/2010 9:56pm at .

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 2:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you're still very early in. it's great you're experiencing benefits already.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 3:30am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started with a decent amount of weight (for me) on the exercises so i guess im making quicker gains than if i had just started with the bar. The workouts are pretty difficult now. It feels like i may get my first stall any workout now but i keep pushing through it. I definately had to cut down on drinking to make sure i get all my reps in.

The only issue is with trying to get on the squat rack every workout before the guy who loads on every plate in the gym, then proceeds to "squat" down 1/2 inch for one rep, and rest for 20 minutes at a time before doing it again and again. Gotta figure out how to consistently beat him to the gym. It's great when i do.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 5:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    get out of bed earlier?
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    8/12/2010 4:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tell him he doesn't own the gym and that his form sucks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2010 7:00am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This helped my clinch and ground game a whole lot:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson263.htm

The core should be... the core of any combat conditioning routine.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12