Thread: Hello Everyone!

Style
    Aikido, Aikiken, Aikijo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hello Everyone!

Hello everyone!
    My name is Vincenzo, i'm from Italy, and i've found this site through the pages about bullshido around the Web.
    I believe this site has a very important role, the world is full of people with misconceptions and/or false beliefs on the Martial Arts, people whom are offered black belts or teaching certificates after an incredible short time. I hope this site will continue to hold to its high standards!
    Tha path i've chosen, or rather the path which chose ME, is Aikido. I'm just a 6th kyu but i really love this Art!

Style
    Striking/Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to bullshido.

What exactly makes you especially interested in aikido?

Style
    Aikido, Aikiken, Aikijo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope my English will be good enough to explain myself!
    What fascinated me was, at first, the idea that Osensei had of this martial art, the idea of caring about the well-being of the enemy in order to avoid exacerbating the situation. I'm a firm believer in the possibility of avoiding lots of fights by simply trying to harmonize with other people... I Know it sounds hippie, but i like it this way and, even as a lowly 6th kyu I think Aikido will suit my way of life nicely!
    Phisically speaking i'm not big nor strong, and i don't like bashing at people, plus considering that should i ever get into a fight 7 times out of 10 i would be outgunned and outmanned, so to speak, i decided to study a Budo which uses resources other than raw strenght.
    My Sensei follows the Iwama Ryu style, along with his brother in arms who was Morihiro Saito Shihan's pupil and, although being part of Aikikai Italia we're receiving a (IMHO) better rounded training than the one of many others dojo throughout my country. Our training also includes Aikiken and Aikijo, which in our federation are Nidan and Sandan-only stuff!

Style
    Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome brother,
    people will give you **** about training in aikido. Ignore them. At the same time don't become an arrogant, know-all, aikidoka who speaks fancy about philosophical reasons why technique work. Train hard, work hard, and apply what you learn to your daily living.
    all the best,

Style
    Aikido, Aikiken, Aikijo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you very much for your warm welcome!!!
    @daishi: i'll never do that, don't worry!!!! I'm just not going to train in other Arts because i'm still a newbie, so i'll keep training hard!
    I usually practice with an ex nidan karateka (don't know the school) because he's the only one who attacks with a little more... spirit, so to speak!
    I was very sad after reading how much **** is piled on Aikido on this board. The opinion came from actually qualified people but i would like to say just one thing, as ignorant as I may be:
    Stevan Seagal's Aikido is not Aikido... He's stuck in what someone calls Fire Level, all power and no tecnique! Of course people practicing MMA would wipe the floor with us, both strikers AND grapplers!
    We're not meant to oppose directly to the enemy, unless in the direst circumstances, one the strenghts of Aikido is to act BEFORE connecting and moving outside of someone attack range or inside the Maai...
    At least, that's what i'm SLOWLY trying to learn...
    One more thing: I've read about a guy complaining that after ONE MONTH of Aikido he couldn't beat his JUDO BROWN BELT brother. SERIOUSLY???? I wasn't even able to tie my belt yet after two weeks!:beatdead:

Style
    Trad. JuJitsu, SanShou
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido :)

Style
    Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Evil,

good idea to just train and not worry about other stuff...don't try to convince people or wax poetic about what aikido is as compared to other arts. I trained karate for about 8 years before ever hearing of aikido and I've been doing aikido now for about 11 years now. I'm just getting past the beginner stages in both. I also enjoy working out in jujitsu and judo classes when my wife lets me spend more time away from home. Cross training is great, but I would wait until you have a pretty decent grasp of what you are doing now. Always best not to compare styles/arts until you know a good bit about them and can speak intelligently as some people are very sensitive about their art/s.

all the best,
    A

Style
    Aikido, Aikiken, Aikijo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    Evil,

good idea to just train and not worry about other stuff...don't try to convince people or wax poetic about what aikido is as compared to other arts. I trained karate for about 8 years before ever hearing of aikido and I've been doing aikido now for about 11 years now. I'm just getting past the beginner stages in both. I also enjoy working out in jujitsu and judo classes when my wife lets me spend more time away from home. Cross training is great, but I would wait until you have a pretty decent grasp of what you are doing now. Always best not to compare styles/arts until you know a good bit about them and can speak intelligently as some people are very sensitive about their art/s.

all the best,
    A
    Thanks for the precious advice!!!
    I'll try to avoiding offending people, i can assure you that it's totally against my nature!
    Whay style of Karate are you practicing?

Style
    Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GoJu Ryu Kyokai

Style
    Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...looking for Uechi Ryu, Im a yellow belt and would like to pursue it more