Posted On:
    7/02/2010 9:35am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    Retry:

More dynamic guard play to be developed. (I was getting home from a bender)
    *Thumbs up.:thefinger

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2010 9:54am

Style: Bayless Freestyle JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine View Post
    I've always loved the term "train how you fight". I always get a kick out of it. You hear it a lot with the reality based types and even the Grappling/MMA crowd when detailing the Gi vs No-Gi debate. Here's something interesting...

Most people, including professional fighters DON'T train how they fight!

Why? Because they wouldn't have a long career. Let me clarify. Training how you fight in regards to an MMA match would be essentially to have a MMA match when training. What I mean by this is full MMA rules, no protection that most people "train" with, a 100% MMA match as training. Now tell me...how long do you think a MMA career would last.

For the self defense types, the best way to "train how you fight" would be to go out and actually get into those types of situations and see if your stuff works. Hope you aren't training gun disarms that night...

The point you ask? Simple. The concept of "training" is to "train"; meaning you are in a controlled environment that allows you to practice with some sense of safety. Without it, you wouldn't be able to train for long, let alone actually being able to test your skills in an actual fight.

Now, as for the Gi and No-Gi, look at it another way. Just because in a "real" fight you won't be hitting a hanging bag of sand doesn't mean you can't use it to fine tune specific striking concepts, techniques, etc. And just because you won't be wearing a Gi in your MMA/No-Gi matches doesn't mean you can't use it to fine tune specific grappling concepts, techniques, etc. The reverse can be true as well for using No-Gi training to improve your Gi training.
    Yes, but working on a bag you are throwing the same techniques you would throw at a person. Working in a GI offers up avenues not available to those not training in a gi, and that are useless if your opponent is not wearing a Gi. (Lapel chokes are seriously weak IMO)

To the other guy: A coat and a gi are different things, and only the sturdiest of coats is going to give you the grips a GI does without just tearing.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/02/2010 9:59am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtOfDefense View Post
    To the other guy: A coat and a gi are different things, and only the sturdiest of coats is going to give you the grips a GI does without just tearing.
    and why exactly do you care if the coat of the guy you are fighting gets ripped? you will get the kuzushi you need and the throw as well, and the collar will probably last long enough for the guy to be choked out.

the instructor of my local SBG choked everyone out using their t-shirts one day. yes every t-shirt was ripped and ruined, but he was still able to get the choke. gis are made to be durable so that you get to train in them over and over, not because a little ripping is going to stop the technique from working.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    7/02/2010 10:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (Lapel chokes are seriously weak IMO)
    Yeah, this is usually what no-gi guys say after you've choked them out in your guard for the 15th time in a row...

It's even funnier if you do it one handed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2010 10:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    and why exactly do you care if the coat of the guy you are fighting gets ripped? you will get the kuzushi you need and the throw as well, and the collar will probably last long enough for the guy to be choked out.

the instructor of my local SBG choked everyone out using their t-shirts one day. yes every t-shirt was ripped and ruined, but he was still able to get the choke. gis are made to be durable so that you get to train in them over and over, not because a little ripping is going to stop the technique from working.

I think you guys tapped too easily. I am pretty certain you could not bring a resisting opponent to unconciousness with a T-shirt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2010 10:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    Yeah, this is usually what no-gi guys say after you've choked them out in your guard for the 15th time in a row...

It's even funnier if you do it one handed.
    IT's also funny watching Gi guys gas out over and over again trying their sad BS sweeps and insistence on nearly useless wrist control.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/02/2010 10:57am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so, artofdefense, the dale carnegie course has been working out for you, eh?
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/02/2010 11:00am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you guys tapped too easily. I am pretty certain you could not bring a resisting opponent to unconciousness with a T-shirt.
    Wow, how can you be this dense? It is actually easier to choke someone with a T-shirt. The reason BJJ Gi Collars are so thick is to help you NOT get choked.

For the record I train 50/50 Gi/No-Gi and think everyone should train that way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2010 11:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Wow, how can you be this dense? It is actually easier to choke someone with a T-shirt. The reason BJJ Gi Collars are so thick is to help you NOT get choked.

For the record I train 50/50 Gi/No-Gi and think everyone should train that way.

Ok, cuz I'm not a virtual tough guy, I'll agree to disagree.

And everyone thinks everyone should train the way they do.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    7/02/2010 11:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IT's also funny watching Gi guys gas out over and over again trying their sad BS sweeps and insistence on nearly useless wrist control.
    It's funny because they're as conceited and one dimensional as you are.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast