Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    7/02/2010 8:54am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BBQ Beer-Can Chicken on a Gas Grill

A classic of the barbecue circuit, barbecued beer-can chicken involves resting a whole chicken upright on a can of beer and grill-roasting it. The odd technique accomplishes two things at once: As the beer turns to steam, it flavors the interior of the chicken and keeps it moist. The smoke bathes the exterior and turns the skin crisp. Or at least that’s the idea; we have tasted too many bland, greasy beer-can chickens with not a whole lot of beer flavor. We wanted crisp-skinned, moist, beer- and smoke-flavored chicken. Here’s what we discovered:

Test Kitchen Discoveries

Bank the coals in the grill on either side of a disposable aluminum pan. The coals will cook the chicken evenly and the pan will catch dripping fat from the chicken.

Open the top of the can wide open with a church key to allow the greatest amount of steam to escape. The normal hole is far too small.

Lance the chicken’s skin with a skewer to make holes from which rendering fat can escape.

Rub the chicken liberally with a spice rub on top of and underneath the skin.

Coat the chicken with a sweet-tart glaze towards the end of cooking to improve the chicken’s flavor and color. If applied too early, the glaze will burn.

STEP BY STEP

Flavor That's More Than Skin Deep

From its crisp, spiced skin to moist meat, beer-can chicken is flavored through and through. Here's how to get the ultimate beer-can chicken experience from your grill.

1. Use a church key can opener to punch holes in the top of the can; this will allow the maximum amount of steam to escape.

2. Loosen the skin on the breasts and thighs of the chicken by sliding your fingers between the skin and the meat.

3. Massage the spice mixture on the skin, under the skin, and inside the cavity.

4. Using a skewer, poke the skin all over to render as much fat as possible.

BBQ Beer-Can Chicken on a Gas Grill
    Makes 2 Chickens serving 4 to 6

Look for chickens that weigh between 3 and 3 1/2 pounds; if they are significantly larger, you may have trouble fitting the lid on the grill. To hold the wood chips, you will need a small disposable aluminum tray.

Spice Rub
    2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
    2 tablespoons paprika
    1 tablespoon table salt
    1 tablespoon ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Glaze
    2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
    2 tablespoons ketchup
    2 tablespoons white vinegar
    2 tablespoons beer
    1 teaspoon hot sauce

Beer and Chicken
    2 (12-ounce) cans beer
    4 crumbled bay leaves
    2 whole chickens (3 to 3 1/2 pounds each), patted dry
    4 cups wood chips

1. For the spice rub: Mix brown sugar, paprika, salt, black pepper, and cayenne in bowl.

2. For the glaze: Stir brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, beer, and hot sauce together in medium bowl. Add 1 tablespoon spice rub.

3. For the rest: Measure out 1 cup beer from each can; take 2 tablespoons from measured beer and add to ketchup glaze. Prepare beer cans as shown in photo 1, and add 2 crumbled bay leaves to each can.

4. Prepare chickens as shown in photos 2 through 4.

5. Soak wood chips in bowl of water to cover for 15 minutes, then place chips in small aluminum tray and play tray directly on primary burner. Turn all burners to high and close lid, keeping grill covered until wood chips begin to smoke, about 15 minutes. Leave primary burner on high, and turn off all other burners. Place chickens (on cans) on cool part of grill.

6. Cover and grill until skin is well browned and very crisp, 40 to 60 minutes. Brush with ketchup glaze and grill, covered, until thigh meat registers 170 degrees on instant-read thermometer, about 20 minutes longer. Wearing oven mitts or using wad of paper towels, transfer chickens (still on cans) from grill to cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Hold base of can with oven mitt or wad of paper towels, insert tongs into neck cavity of chicken, and pull chicken off can. Carve and serve.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Posted On:
    7/02/2010 8:56am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the "beer can" type grilling is something you enjoy, this is the better way...

Vertical Roaster with Infuser by Norpro

Manufacturer - Norpro

Price
    $27.95

Recommendation Status - Recommended

Testers’ Comments

With the longest shaft of the lineup, this roaster makes the chicken sit tall without any chance of getting soggy from slumping into the fat. Its open design helps the bird brown evenly and makes it easy to remove when all done. While the metal basin is slightly shallow compared to some of the other models, it catches enough drippings to make a good pan sauce. For our Glazed Roast Chicken recipe, we were able to place the roaster within a roasting pan. Cleanup was a little messy, but chicken grease scrubbed off relatively easily. Two curved metal bars that form the shaft detach from the tray for cleaning, and lie flat for storage.

Height
    8 inches

Where To Shop - www.cooking.com
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2010 8:59am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Incorrect, Pasta salads are delicious.

And here's just a lil' tip for you guys since we're talking about food. Next time you make scrambled eggs put 1/4 of ranch in them for every 2 eggs. That **** is 'da bomb yo.

Posted On:
    7/02/2010 9:06am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer View Post
    Incorrect, Pasta salads are delicious.

And here's just a lil' tip for you guys since we're talking about food. Next time you make scrambled eggs put 1/4 of ranch in them for every 2 eggs. That **** is 'da bomb yo.
    I just made the macaroni salad, and clearly will have to make more for tomorrow. WOW... but I used red pepper to give it more kick.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    7/02/2010 9:09am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Northerners will never understand good cooking or the opportunity to drink beer for purpose. Some of the worst food I ever ate in my life was while I lived in Michigan. Culinary prowess is not up there.

I mean they take perfectly good crawfish and use them as bait.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Posted On:
    7/02/2010 9:11am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    Northerners will never understand good cooking or the opportunity to drink beer for purpose. Some of the worst food I ever ate in my life was while I lived in Michigan. Culinary prowess is not up there.

I mean they take perfectly good crawfish and use them as bait.
    Thats what you guys do to sushi down there.......

...but we will let the guests tomorrow judge the effects!

: P

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    7/02/2010 9:16am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cajun Sushi

1. Catch Fish. Preferably catfish
    2. Clean Fish
    3. Cut Fish
    4. Dip fish in egg mustard salt pepper cayenne pepper and beer.
    5. Batter Fish with corn meal
    6. Fry Fish
    7. Eat Fish and drink Beer

How much seasoning you ask? May 'till it taste good, sha.
    Last edited by Coach Josh; 7/02/2010 9:21am at .
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2010 9:34am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^ Plus some of that stuffed bread from the Creole Lunch House! My favorite joint in Lafayette.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2010 10:45am

Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I resent the lack of good cooking remark!

Then again my dad's a black guy who was born in Missisippi so that might affect his culinary choices a little (Fucking **** he hasn't made fried chicken in like forever).

Edit: BTW I've had Mark's cooking. I would pay him just to eat, man.

Posted On:
    7/02/2010 10:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by foxd View Post
    I resent the lack of good cooking remark!

Then again my dad's a black guy who was born in Missisippi so that might affect his culinary choices a little (Fucking **** he hasn't made fried chicken in like forever).

Edit: BTW I've had Mark's cooking. I would pay him just to eat, man.
    Come to the party and I will make fried chicken for you....
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast