Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ: "Squeezing the Bread" a Legit Move?

What do you guys consider to be a list of "dick moves" when rolling?

Was rolling tonight and I caught my partner with what I think is called "squeezing the bread" (I was in his guard, stood forward, grabbed his left gi collar and wrapped it over the throat to his right ear).

I'm pretty sure I've had this done to me, and I've attempted it several times in the past (though none really successfully).

Anyway, my partner didn't tap, but I saw his eyes getting read and watery. I immediately let go of the choke and he started coughing. I asked him why he didn't tap and he said he didn't initially think I actually had him in anything. For some reason I felt like a total dick and apologized for laying that on him. He even referred to it as a "cheap collar choke."

Is this technique generally frowned upon or is it legit? A blue belt in class said it's a legit move, but for some reason it doesn't feel right when I try it in class because it almost always surprises my partners (whether successfully performed or not).

FWIW, we're both very low-level white belts.
    Last edited by shutterspeed; 7/02/2010 2:22am at .

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off
    Style
    Combat Cuddling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure it's legit and there are one or two chokes from inside guard but nothing you should waste time on trying to utilize.

Style
    BJJ, MT, TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try the move on a 12-month or higher white belt. Let us know the results. :-)
    Last edited by Uncle Skippy; 7/02/2010 2:35am at .

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Desperately squeezing your head while they are under side control is really annoying. It's pointless but if I move (as in advance to mount) the sleeve makes my ears hurt. Sometimes I answer this by pressing elbow on their jaw until they let go if it goes on long enough.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's legit, however there's a reasonable chance you might get armbarred if you neglect to use the knee on the same-side as the choking arm to block his hips from turning. He'll probably open his guard put his feet on your hips to relieve the pressure, which will stop you choking him but will get you out of his closed guard.

People who think things are 'cheap' because they get caught with them are fuckwits.

Style
    BJJ/Zumba
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    • Grinding someone's face down with the forearm during rolling in class when not getting ready to compete and or grade
    • Cranking subs on after they are past the point of defence
    • Not tapping to a submission is a dick move
    • Trying to sub someone with lockdown in half-guard when they don't even do anything but hold you as hard as possible, zzz.
    • Not wearing a Gi to a Gi class and then fucking grabbing your partners Gi all class while you roll no-Gi, this fucking pisses me off.
    • Can openers by retarded noobs since they can't be bothered to learn how to pass guard like they are taught.
    • Avoid neck cranks.

That sub is legit, but, as others have stated, it will probably get you subbed against someone with more experience, subbed or swept.
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Style
    Boxing, Rowing Fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it works, use it. As long as you're not going for ball shots or eye gouges, anything effective that's within the rules is legit imo.

Also all of the above.

Stu xD

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I go for a goose neck wrist lock when I cant get a double leg over arm bar and was told that was dirty. Is that the case?
    I know it is lazy.