Posted On:
    7/01/2010 9:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: n/a

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I just took my first Judo lesson!

Holy ****, it kicked my ass.

My background in a nutshell was four years of Shaolin Kempo Karate at Villari's from 2003-2007. Old Bullshido posts of mine I found from my regular self-Googling dating two years ago indicate that this was around the time I wanted to start doing something less fictional — particularly Judo. Being unemployed at the time precluded this, and I guess when I did get a job, I spent the interim not remembering that I wanted to do Judo. I guess being unemployed again brought that period back to mind, so I finally looked into this place, (http://www.smithtownjudo.com) and scheduled a free lesson for tonight.

In addition to having asthma, I've done virtually no exercise in the past two years. I did like 75 push ups a week ago and was sore for two days. I rode my bike around the block a month ago and vomited. Needless to say, it took me almost no time become very tired. I did manage to get some wind back in me when I informally declared that "push up and sit up time" would for the moment become "wimpily lay around and breathe when I feel like no one is looking, and struggle some sit ups at all other times" time. Still, it really cut into my ability to learn and perform the things I was being taught. By the time we finished up with some group randori, I was a pathetic, heavily breathing mess barely held together by a poorly tied white belt and being handily beaten up by an admittedly spunky little girl (who I swear to God is a much younger clone of someone I knew in my Villari days, but that's a story for another time.)

Still, the experience made me really optimistic. The humbling feeling of noncompliance against poor technique, having old habits corrected, and all around not really knowing what was going on at all times gives me a really good sense of how much there is for me to learn. Tonight showed me how much of a newb I really am at a long term goal I've set for myself, and I'm really excited about it.

I just thought I'd post about it on Bullshido, which had no small part in helping me reassess martial arts and my own goals about them, because I really like to cap off opening a new chapter in my life by hearing "tl;dr, newfag," having my spelling and grammar yelled at, and being told that I've "posted in the wrong forum, retard."
    Last edited by AtxAxLoss; 7/01/2010 9:22pm at . Reason: Spelling and grammar, lolz.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 10:05pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo is a great first step. Pain follows. The good news is that it only hurts until you die.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 10:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: working student

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have fun, i hope you enjoy Judo!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 10:33pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    did you just say newfag ?
    I didnt know this was /b/ullshido.

But congrats anyway, i recently took up judo as well and its painfull yet addicting. It would have frustrated me to no end in my younger days when i wanted everything to work perfectly.

now i realize that having someone resist is much better and will make you suck, but the few times you actually manage to throw someone or lock a sub is great and a lot more rewarding than having someone drop the moment you grab their wrist.

Learn to breakfall properly plz.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    7/02/2010 3:28am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're having problems with your fitness, then it may be worth looking at your diet. I had the biggest problems with running out of steam in my judo classes for the first year I did it, and it really kills your ability to learn anything as you end up just trying to not get hurt instead of working on your technique. Anyway, I tried doing additional exercise for a while, to no avail. It wasn't until I started being more careful about what I eat that things started to change.

Learning to breakfall is good advice, and don't use the word newfag.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/02/2010 7:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    congratulations.

I wish you a long life of continued bruising and injury fun.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2010 1:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: n/a

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by honest_truth View Post
    did you just say newfag ?
    I didnt know this was /b/ullshido.
    Oh god, imagine. The day /b/ learns to fight is the day the world ends.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2010 11:48am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know how you feel, man. I don't have asthma, but my physical conditioning sucks, and that's putting it mildly. On the plus side, Judo will make you a lot tougher. Here in Serbia, we have what's called "conditioning sessions". Basically, it's a mixture of pushups, sit ups, hyperextensions, rope climbing and several other exercises whose names I don't know (at least in English), done back-to-back. I don't meen to spook you, the second time will be easier. In regards to your health problems, ask at the Physical Conditioning forum. The crowd there will pro'lly have some good advice.

Posted On:
    7/03/2010 12:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Savor the moment. Some of the most fun I ever had was running around my krotty dojo the first couple of times, screaming as loud as I could and throwing sorry-ass punches. At some point, it lost it's mystical quality that only returns occasionally when I am sitting on someone choking them. The rest of the time it's hard work, dealing with the occasional ego, and avoiding injury.

Oh, and I know you didn't ask for advice, but the numero uno rule is IF SOMEONE HAS YOU, GO WITH IT.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    7/03/2010 12:29pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not just about getting fitter, but about being more efficient.

Even the best conditioned guy in the world would be blowing a bit after doing something completely new.

Stick to it, the more you do it, the easier it gets. Sort of.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast