Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 7:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Drinking craploads of water...

So I'm trying out the one gallon of cold water a day thing.

Now I'm pissing like a race horse, which I kind of expected, but my Kidneys are feeling sore, which I didn't expect.

Anybody else tried this? Is that normal?

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 8:56pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually I've had this happen. When I was in BCT they were really into making us drink liters of water before running. This would kill a persons kidneys and basically force half of the platoon to piss itself before the pt was over.

I think your body has to adapt to it. If it really is uncomfortable then scale it back to maybe 3/4 of a gallon and increase a little bit weekly. Also remember that drinking too much water can flush your electrolytes, so be sure if you are drinking that much and sweating to have something with salt to maintain balance.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 9:43pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    So I'm trying out the one gallon of cold water a day thing.

Now I'm pissing like a race horse, which I kind of expected, but my Kidneys are feeling sore, which I didn't expect.

Anybody else tried this? Is that normal?
    I do 3/4 gallon on my training days; I'm 5'11 157lbs and 36yo. Been doing this 3-4 times per week for about the last 3 months. I haven't noticed any kidney pain, nor any adverse effects. If I were you, I would see my doctor before I continued this experiment.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 4:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1 gallon = 3.78 litre

I hope that it isn't plain water, or are you taking suppliments with it.

Personally I drink 1.5 litre plain water through the day, but between 1 and 1.5 litre of sportsdrink (especially Aquarius) when I'm sporting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 7:43am

Style: Kyokushin, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post
    1 gallon = 3.78 litre

I hope that it isn't plain water, or are you taking suppliments with it.

Personally I drink 1.5 litre plain water through the day, but between 1 and 1.5 litre of sportsdrink (especially Aquarius) when I'm sporting.
    Really that much sports drinks? I would too just to maintain energy but iIve cut back now on the sports drinks since I'm trying to cut a wee bit. Really feeling the energy loss.

Personally the only I feel bloated with that amount of liquid intake is on my rest days. But than again I sweat sitting down so am in a permanent state of moisture loss.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 8:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There used to be here a pro-cyclist who drunk upto 5 litres water a day. After 3 months he had to be hospitalized with water poisening. He was losing too much sugar, salt and minerals through sweating and not gaining enough in his normal diet (with 5 litres water in your stomach you aren't really hungry).

I drink between 1,5 and 2 litre water a day and drink max 1 sportdrink (0.5 litre) (Aquaris Red Blast) for every hour that I'm active training.
    The only other supplements that I take are magnesium tablets to prevent muscle cramps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 8:04am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Re water intake - rather than aiming at a specific volume you should aim to have your body in a state of homeostasis. As was said above, if you drink too much water you will end up deficient in electrolytes. If you are sweating hard then you can afford to drink more - you also need to drink a bit more than usual if you are supplementing with creatine. You'll find yourself pissing like crazy the first week then your body will get used to it. Use common sense after that and drink just enough to keep yourself from feeling thirsty. You don't want to be pissing every 30 minutes but you should also never let yourself feel thirsty. Go with what feels right but give it a week to get used to the increased intake. Personally I drink about a pint of water every hour and usually and extra pint or two during a one hour training session (excluding protein shakes).
    If your kidneys are hurting you though you should really go to a GP and do a urine test.

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 11:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys!

The kidney thing isn't really THAT bad. Feels no worse than after a truly bad night of hard partying. I was just curious if it was common. If it doesn't go away soon, I'll cut way back and see the doc.

I'll keep the electrolyte intake in mind. That's something I hadn't thought of.

At the moment though, I'm 5'11" and 250lbs. So I can still stand to loose a bit of juice!

Posted On:
    7/02/2010 1:16am

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe I am just a bit to old school but I drink water when I am thirsty. Pretty simple system. Mouth dry? Sweating a lot? Does something to drink sound really good? Well then drink water. Its worked pretty well so far.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2010 12:01pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Vlad View Post
    Use common sense after that and drink just enough to keep yourself from feeling thirsty. You don't want to be pissing every 30 minutes but you should also never let yourself feel thirsty. Go with what feels right but give it a week to get used to the increased intake.
    The thing is for me, I'm almost always thirsty. I believe I eat pretty well, not too much salt or msg.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast