Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Style
    Looking
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Eager to Call Bushido...

I am new to Bullshido, which you could probably tell by my posting in Newbietown. I am 21 years old and I live in Warren, Michigan. I am also new to the serious martial arts scene. I took a few sessions of Karate when I was 11, but since then I haven't done anything truly martial-art related.

I was watching the movie Forbidden Kingdom, and have to say that it is what finally gave me the push that I needed to actually want, more than just passively, to learn a martial art. I know, what a way to be driven.

On to Google. I did a search for drunken fist and got some results but YouTube is where I gained some understanding of Zui Quan from a Canadian sifu. I watched Drunken Master, and then I watched some matches.

Why would I choose Zui Quan? Well, I would have to say that it is an abnormal concept of using psychology to trick your opponent and I am abnormal in most of my endeavors, so I figured that it and I would go well together.

I learned how to do a few stances and am now training them.

Now, I am looking for someone to train under. It's seems hard to find schools that teach Zui Quan in Michigan.

I was pointed to a man who claims to be a Grand Master. His name is Sekou Bomani. I was wondering if anyone could help me determine whether or not he is full of Bullshido. His website is: http://energetichealingarts.vpweb.com/

I also have his number. I spoke with him on the phone. I believe very strongly that he is most likely full of bullshido.

1. He also claims to know many other martial arts.
    2. He charges $25 for an hour session.
    3. He doesn't hold regular classes unless he "has enough students".
    4. He studied under Dr. Moses Powell.
    5. He also said that he studied under 3 more people, but did not give any names; he called them an African gentleman, a Japanese man, and a Chinese master.
    5. He pronounced Zui Quan as "Chi Gong", while claiming to teach it.
    6. He doesn't run his websites text through spell check.

Is it wrong of me to be trying to call bullshido so soon? I don't think so.
    Thanks in advance.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, read this then we can have a discussion.

Drunken Fist - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, sounds like bullshit to me.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tideliar View Post
    No, sounds like bullshit to me.

Until you investigate his claims further it is wrong to "try and call bullshido."

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dude just go learn how to box.

Style
    Taijiquan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, he certainly seems like a kook—he has his own religion, after all.

http://www.utopal.org/

But, you know, it's not like being a weirdo means you're not a good martial artist or a good coach.

More info is on the temple site. For example, we get his birth name, it seems—Bruce Landers—and it says he's "certified as an Olympic trainer/coach in Judo under the U.S.A. Olympic Committee, and is a member of the Kodakan Institute in Japan."

I suppose the main question for me is whether those claims are true or not.
    Last edited by Rivington; 6/25/2010 5:30pm at .

Style
    Taijiquan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Google Books has a few listings for Bruce Landers as a judo competitor in the early 1970s, thanks to its archive of issues of Black Belt.

Of course, all the woowoo is just that—faux Egyptology, a soupcon of community awareness, largely harmless seeming Afrocentrism, and a bunch of wacky sales pitches for magic-with-a-k items and rituals.

I bet you can find judo in the area with less of a nutty mein to it. As far as drunken boxing, that's just for show anyway.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NLichtman View Post

1. He also claims to know many other martial arts.
    2. He charges $25 for an hour session.
    3. He doesn't hold regular classes unless he "has enough students".
    4. He studied under Dr. Moses Powell.
    5. He also said that he studied under 3 more people, but did not give any names; he called them an African gentleman, a Japanese man, and a Chinese master.
    5. He pronounced Zui Quan as "Chi Gong", while claiming to teach it.
    6. He doesn't run his websites text through spell check.

Is it wrong of me to be trying to call bullshido so soon? I don't think so.
    Thanks in advance.
    Attempt to be helpful:

#2: My sifu charges about $4.5 per hour (broken down from the monthly dues), and he's a legitimate gong fu lineage holder.

#5: Sounds like the beginning of a joke. Not giving their names sounds suspect.

#5 (of the second part): Zui Quan and qigong/chi kung are two completely different things but I guess it's possible you heard him wrong. Zui means drunken, quan is Mandarin for fist, chi is energy/breath, gong has about a dozen meanings. Maybe some skilled Chinese speakers here can correct me but "Zui Quan" might sound like "Ji Gwon" to a Westerner...I know I still can't understand native speakers for **** especially if its mandarin. But just be aware drunken fist and qigong are completely different things.

-ED

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Until you investigate his claims further it is wrong to "try and call bullshido."
    Fair call.

Style
    Looking
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Google Books has a few listings for Bruce Landers as a judo competitor in the early 1970s, thanks to its archive of issues of Black Belt.

Of course, all the woowoo is just that—faux Egyptology, a soupcon of community awareness, largely harmless seeming Afrocentrism, and a bunch of wacky sales pitches for magic-with-a-k items and rituals.

I bet you can find judo in the area with less of a nutty mein to it. As far as drunken boxing, that's just for show anyway.
    That's very interesting information. Thank you for doing that research.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    dude just go learn how to box.
    I chuckled. I would, but I am not a fan of boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Dragon View Post
    Attempt to be helpful:

#2: My sifu charges about $4.5 per hour (broken down from the monthly dues), and he's a legitimate gong fu lineage holder.

#5: Sounds like the beginning of a joke. Not giving their names sounds suspect.

#5 (of the second part): Zui Quan and qigong/chi kung are two completely different things but I guess it's possible you heard him wrong. Zui means drunken, quan is Mandarin for fist, chi is energy/breath, gong has about a dozen meanings. Maybe some skilled Chinese speakers here can correct me but "Zui Quan" might sound like "Ji Gwon" to a Westerner...I know I still can't understand native speakers for **** especially if its mandarin. But just be aware drunken fist and qigong are completely different things.

-ED
    I meant to title this thread "...Bullshido" rather than "...Bushido", but I don't know if I can edit the title.

Thank you. This information is quite useful to me.

About 5. I wasn't paying attention to the numbering, sorry about that.

I did hear from someone that there was a difference between the two styles, but I wasn't sure.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last