Sponsored Links Spacer Image

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 2:21pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like you are throwing your counter kick with the same leg that was your opponents target. If so, that isn't exactly what I meant.

Imagine two orthodox fighters. Your opponent kicks at the inside of your front leg. You shuffle back but move the front leg more than the back. This will narrow your stance momentarily and allow the kick to go right by. As soon as his kick goes by step forward at an angle with your front leg and throw a back leg round kick to the back of his front leg or ideally back of both legs depending on how far back you shuffled.

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 2:35pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or a boxing combo, doesn't really matter what you throw as long as you are quick enough to take advantage of that second window before they recover from the missed kick.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 2:41pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dargentus View Post
    Drilled a couple of the suggestions there for about an hour after weights. I kinda felt that a quick shimmy back with the leg and then a cut kick off the same leg felt the most natural after only a short while and I felt a lot of my favourite combinations 'flowed' better from it...Ill work on it and try it in sparring come the weekend.

Omega what like swivel my hips so my inner thigh doesn't face the kick? talking out of my ass now but I'm thinking that could work if he's fast or close in...

Cheers guys you've given me something to study at least. I've just always felt thats a bit of a hole in my defense. Taking shots is fine but it should never be the first option....

Ta.
    You've got the right idea; I use this when I want to wade into the attack.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 2:46pm

Style: Kyokushin, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ya thats exactly what I was doing...and now that I think of it i was getting my partner's front thigh rather than his back legs. Doh. But I'll give that other one a good drilling tomorrow and I'll see what I'll make of it.

Sang;Ya I was tending to respond with hands more they just felt a bit faster.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 5:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    keep in mind that Omega in an indestructible tank and some kicks to the top of the thigh have probably never slowed him down. Mere mortals like you and I might want to stick with things where we don't take kicks on the muscle.

My top 3:

standard inside shin block with lead leg. Seriously, this is the easiest and there's really no issue with doing it as long as you're not picking your foot way off the ground.

pulling your lead foot up and back, rocking back slightly, and catching the kick on the point of your knee. This is easy, less painful than shin/shin (though honestly shin/shin doesn't hurt too bad if you're doing it right), and since it's not a straight on block allows you to continue your forward motion.

stepping your leg back and out of the way. It can work fine if they're kinda slow, and you avoid damage completely and can return with kick or flying knee.

I'm really just not a fan of taking kicks on any kind of muscle because even a couple nice shots to the quads are going to significantly impact your mobility.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 7:03pm

Style: Bayless Freestyle JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    It sounds like you are throwing your counter kick with the same leg that was your opponents target. If so, that isn't exactly what I meant.

Imagine two orthodox fighters. Your opponent kicks at the inside of your front leg. You shuffle back but move the front leg more than the back. This will narrow your stance momentarily and allow the kick to go right by. As soon as his kick goes by step forward at an angle with your front leg and throw a back leg round kick to the back of his front leg or ideally back of both legs depending on how far back you shuffled.

My counter is similar to this, except:

Do a quick backstep with the lead leg, and use your rear hand to scoop up and lift the calf of the leg coming at you. Hold for half a second, then punt the fucker when he tries to pull it down.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 7:27pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally just check the kick with my lead knee most times. If they're using that to start a combo, I just transition from the knee block right into a lead leg push kick.

Or I just step back with the lead leg, almost switching stances. I just bring the foot back, but I don't do any weight transfer or change the positions of my hips/shoulders. Then I immediately fire a roundhouse kick with the leg I had just stepped back with.

Stepping down into a Cross after the knee block works pretty well, too...

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 8:53pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtOfDefense View Post
    My counter is similar to this, except:

Do a quick backstep with the lead leg, and use your rear hand to scoop up and lift the calf of the leg coming at you. Hold for half a second, then punt the fucker when he tries to pull it down.
    Reaching that far down can be really dangerous. I try to not catch anything below my belly button. Otherwise you have to break cover for too long.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 10:10pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally really like the thigh block and that was the first leg kick defense I was taught. I have huge legs but short arms so usually thats the only way I can follow up immediately with my punch.

This is nice, a lot of very high level posters on this thread and I am humbled that I even opened my mouth. lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 6:19am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post

This.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast