Posted On:
    6/30/2010 8:55am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    STRIKING forum...

Also good single frame of what I'm talking about:

You can also get both legs instead of just the front.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 9:02am

Style: Kyokushin, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes I can see what you mean now lead leg pulls back a bit momentarily then springs to 'cut' inside.

The high kick you spoke of earlier as part of a potential retaliatory combination will be coming off the kicker's support leg in this instance?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 9:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    STRIKING forum...
    Yup. posted this here because I was only really interested in the potential striking counters to the move.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 9:37am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was thinking about all the super-power-rear-leg-kick counters off of the lead leg check, and then I realized most people in the world aren't southpaws.

BTW OP, if you are a southpaw, your options are a bit different.
    1. I second Alex; you can turn the leg in a bit for a shin block, and take car to immediately put it back to stance.
    2. Sometimes when I have just enough time to lift the foot off the ground but not block it properly, (i.e. just checked and not blocked) I use the motion to step off-line and counter.
    3. If I'm backing him into the ropes I like to plant the leg and use the thigh block so I don't lose forward momentum and I can keep the pressure up with my hands. I am not sure how this block works for kicks below thigh level (please give me your opinion on this if you know)

It is rare that I actually put all of these together, but it is still what I shoot for.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 9:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually I'm a leftie that fights orthodox :)

Now the offline counter I am intrigued with and haven't heard about before;
    This intrigues me could you elaborate?

And personally, I dislike blocking with the thigh even if planted; I know MT guys do it but in kyokushin comps you could be having three-five fights in the day you really are all about damage mitigation. thats just IMO. Such a strategy would be my last case scenario...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 9:48am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    i have always found that slightly turning the leg to catch their kick with your upper shin works extremely well. people dont throw it after a couple of those and it is fast enough that i rarely dont get it out in time. i almost never get kicked to the inside of the leg.

im southpaw though, ymmv.
    This is what I was taught to do too and has worked well against someone orthodox(as I am). Until I faced a southpaw who TKOed me with them(because I didn't check).

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 10:05am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OiScout View Post
    This is what I was taught to do too and has worked well against someone orthodox(as I am). Until I faced a southpaw who TKOed me with them(because I didn't check).
    Did you pick up the leg at all?

As far as the offline move, Basically if you a. don't back up after you check the kick b. moving to punch him back
    it will probably happen automatically. Its not much different from an outside check move offline to counter, except you take some damage.

Actually I hate to brand it as a "counter." You can and should be moving offline from whatever defense you use against the kick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 11:01am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    Did you pick up the leg at all?
    A few times yes until the 10seconds before I got TKOed, but it just wasn't my night. It was like a perfect storm of shittiness for me.

My favorite thing to do against someone who's orthodox and doing it just to be annoying, is right after the inside leg kick I throw a leg kick myself. Assuming you lift your leg in the first place.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 1:28pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rotate the top of your thigh to the inside. Yes, an inside leg check is a bad habit. Really bad things can happen that way. To add to the recommendation of the cut kick advice I will also add my thumbs up as a very effective maneuver.

@Kambei Shimada: You post that **** in this forum again I will ban you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2010 1:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Drilled a couple of the suggestions there for about an hour after weights. I kinda felt that a quick shimmy back with the leg and then a cut kick off the same leg felt the most natural after only a short while and I felt a lot of my favourite combinations 'flowed' better from it...Ill work on it and try it in sparring come the weekend.

Omega what like swivel my hips so my inner thigh doesn't face the kick? talking out of my ass now but I'm thinking that could work if he's fast or close in...

Cheers guys you've given me something to study at least. I've just always felt thats a bit of a hole in my defense. Taking shots is fine but it should never be the first option....

Ta.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast