Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    WMA Lichtenauer Longsword
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Please allow me to introduce myself...

Yesterday I tried an MMA beginner's class. I'd learned there was a gym surprisingly near (in such a small town in the middle of nowhere) and I'd also noticed I'm out of shape. Cheap (£40 a month as a student), convenient, and looked decent (nice facilities - cages etc, mention of the instructors' records). What's not to like?

It was indeed a blast, and I'm going to try again tomorrow, if I feel up to it. I'd decided to try this because I realised I'd gotten out of shape over the last year, and the other MA stuff I do (WMA- medieval longsword stuff) could use some basic stand-up grappling knowledge. The fitness work was intense. I didn't throw up, but it was close.

Style
    Weight Training
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you're in a small town, out of shape, do some WMA. Tell us more about yourself.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Smallish town in the commuter belt around London. I'm not terribly out of shape - 6'3" and c.190lbs (it was realising I was about to hit 200lbs that made me decide to do something to get into shape) - but I'm asthmatic and have a history of regular bronchitis/lung infections that I'd like to blame for being unfit in cardiorespiratory terms.

I did kickboxing in my mid-teens for a little over three years - stopped five years ago. I have tried to start doing it again in the mean time, but lung issues (i.e. the first session turning into one long asthma attack) got in the way. Seems to be going better this time (a year since the last bout of bronchitis) since it's been unfitness rather than asthma leaving me wheezing.

The WMA was with groups first in Nottingham, then London. The Nottingham group was clearly focussed on longsword after the earlier Lichtenauer sources, and no-one seems to do the same sources or interpretations in London. Interesting and fun, but hardly as physically demanding.

Went back to the MMA sessions again yesterday, and did groundwork for the first time. I'm sure it will be a surprise that I found it absolutely strange, and very technical.

Style
    MT/Ex-Judo NO SPRAWL?!
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're living a great life.

MMA + Swordsmanship? You're like a Swordsman and a Monk at the same time.

I'm extremely envious of your situation.

Style
    No gym currently.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome, GenericUnique!
    Have you checked out our excellent WMA forum?

Quote Originally Posted by iopyud View Post
    MMA + Swordsmanship? You're like a Swordsman and a Monk at the same time.

I'm extremely envious of your situation.
    Totally.
    He should multi-class as a mage, or something. Win.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Style
    Sub-Grap/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahh another Brit! Welcome.

Whereabouts have you been training MMA?
    Last edited by Kambei Shimada; 6/29/2010 9:42am at .

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been training (all of twice!) at Extreme Fighters. I was slightly put off by the TKD background, but there's none in the MMA training as far as I've seen.

As for the swordman stuff, I'd love to get some background in grappling. Between "swords are cool" focus, and the fact that I've never seen a WMA group training on mats regularly, the grappling side of it (i.e. Lichtenauer longsword and associated texts) gets hugely neglected, and what's done is often Monty Python parrot grade lacking aliveness. But aliveness in WMA is a whole 'nother debate, for another subforum.

Which I'm aware of. I started this thread because now I'm training in something mainstream, I can see myself maybe one day posting outside of the WMA forum.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer. Join us... or die

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido you southern fucking jesse.

Groundwork is strange at first, you get used to seeing the world at a funny angle after a while... you never really get used to having a man's balls rubbed in your face for five minutes though, ugh.

Style
    jkd concepts
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido!
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Style
    Underground Pit Fighting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome.
    Won of your instructors fought a guy from the gym I train at on Cage Rage in 2008.
    King without a crown

Page 1 of 2 12 Last