Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 3:10pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help with two problems

I have two issues that I need help with. The first is an orthopedic issue. For the past several months I've had shoulder pains. Finally I went to the ortho to have it diagnosed. There doesn't seem to be any damage, but x rays have shown that I have Chronic Impingement Syndrome. Simply put, my shoulder bone potrudes more than normal and is slightly hooked. This means that anytime I do overhead work it pinches the muscle causing inflammation. The ortho prescribed aleve and no more work above 90 degrees. Recently my press has stalled anyway and I've been doing dips as assistance work. If I'm forced to abandon presses altogether are dips a suitable longterm replacement?

Secondly, I recently went to a GP to be tested for diabetes. The results were inclonclusive, but did reveal that I have low good cholesterol and very high bad cholesterol. A quick search on cholesterol led me to the American Heart Associations sight which recommends only 6 ounces of meat a day. Obviously for someone who lifts and does conditioning regularly this leaves me with a protein deficiency. The obvious answer is protein bars and whey protein, however I try to stick to mostly sugar free power bars, bloodsugar concerns, which tend to mess you up if eaten more than once a day. Whey protein also proves to be fairly high in cholesterol. I can only think to look to a vegetable source for protein, but I'm not sure which would give me the most bang for my buck. Other than beans, but the thought of eating beans in the amount required sounds disgusting in a lot of ways. Does anyone have any recommendations on this issue?

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 3:19pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    I have two issues that I need help with. The first is an orthopedic issue. For the past several months I've had shoulder pains. Finally I went to the ortho to have it diagnosed. There doesn't seem to be any damage, but x rays have shown that I have Chronic Impingement Syndrome. Simply put, my shoulder bone potrudes more than normal and is slightly hooked. This means that anytime I do overhead work it pinches the muscle causing inflammation. The ortho prescribed aleve and no more work above 90 degrees. Recently my press has stalled anyway and I've been doing dips as assistance work. If I'm forced to abandon presses altogether are dips a suitable longterm replacement?
    Where exactly is your protrusion? Consider doing alternate shoulder exercises such as laterals or upright rows, dips may suffice but I would check with your doctor.

Secondly, I recently went to a GP to be tested for diabetes. The results were inclonclusive, but did reveal that I have low good cholesterol and very high bad cholesterol. A quick search on cholesterol led me to the American Heart Associations sight which recommends only 6 ounces of meat a day. Obviously for someone who lifts and does conditioning regularly this leaves me with a protein deficiency. The obvious answer is protein bars and whey protein, however I try to stick to mostly sugar free power bars, bloodsugar concerns, which tend to mess you up if eaten more than once a day. Whey protein also proves to be fairly high in cholesterol. I can only think to look to a vegetable source for protein, but I'm not sure which would give me the most bang for my buck. Other than beans, but the thought of eating beans in the amount required sounds disgusting in a lot of ways. Does anyone have any recommendations on this issue?
    Have you considered fish as an alternate? Also egg whites are an excellent source of protein that are low on cholesterol.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 9:42am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tai chi, silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have back and shoulder problems which also make it hard for me to do overhead presses ,and also shoulder injury bothers me when doing dips, which are basically chest and triceps exercise anyway. I can do upright rows as long as keep hands about shoulder width apart.

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 10:55am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of numbers are we talking about?

The AMA is concerned about ordinary morons, not athletes. And they're really worried about saturated fat, which many meats tend to be high in. There's a huge difference between eating a 6oz fatty hamburger and 6oz of grass fed steak. Fish is your friend for the cholesterol issues, especially wild fatty fish (like salmon). As are green vegetables and fiber.

Ordinary whey protein powder is fine. Don't sweat dietary cholesterol too much because it doesn't impact blood lipids much. What you really want to watch out for is saturated fat -- particularly if its not balanced with mono and polyunsaturated fats (the stuff in fish, nuts, olive oil, etc.).

Watch out for those sugar free protein bars -- they usually contain sugar alcohols which can do screwy things. And they're usually loaded with saturated fat.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 11:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Something was nagging at me about the second paragraph of this post. Took me a while to figure out what it was.

I recently went to a GP to be tested for diabetes. The results were inclonclusive
    bloodsugar concerns
    This is the problem that needs to be solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 1:25pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies guys. I've been out of town and haven't been able to get on to reply for awhile. I'll answer these questions as they came in.

CoffeeFan. My protrusion is my shoulders themselves. I wish I had asked for a copy of the x ray, but I'll try to describe it as best I can. If you were to see my shoulder bones from the front they come out fairly far and look almost like a beak. I am trying to eat more fish, but I had a stupid moment and completely forgot egg whites.

Res Judicata. My good cholesterol was 34 and if I remember correctly they like to see it at least 39. My bad cholesterol was around 250. I'll look closely at my power bars. Its just hard to find power bars that don't taste like garbage that aren't loaded with sugar.

The Russ. My glucose and fasting blood sugar was slightly elevated, I don't remember the numbers offhand, but the cholesterol was a more pronounced problem. I was prescribed cholesterol pills, told to watch my diet, and I'm going to have more lab work done in about 3 weeks.

It was after this visit that I learned that high cholesterol runs in the family. Gotta love the genes I inherited. Even with the pills I'd really like to control it as much as I can with diet. Thanks for all the input guys.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    7/08/2010 2:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew

I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian. This means I eat mainly vegetarian but do allow myself some dairy products. I eat no more than two eggs a day. Eat the whites only if you are concerned about cholesterol. I also allow myself one 8 oz glass of milk and one 6 oz serving of yogurt. Everything else is vegetable.
    Peanut butter is a good way of getting your protein fix too. Try to space out your protein intake throughout the day. You need to eat a lot of different types of beans/peas to get the necesary protein so i supplement with a serving of Muscle Milk a day. Two on workout days (one before and one after)
    There are also soy protein powders that I add to my yogurt. They have little to no taste and can be mixed with lots of things.
    Try veggie burgers and even veggie chicken patties. Loaded with protein and good.

If you cant stand the thought of a totally meatless diet then try fish and chicken. Star Kist makes an easy open tuna pouch that are just grab and go. Chicken can be bought in cans like tuna.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 4:28pm

Style: TKD/Kickboxing/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CoffeeFan. My protrusion is my shoulders themselves. I wish I had asked for a copy of the x ray, but I'll try to describe it as best I can. If you were to see my shoulder bones from the front they come out fairly far and look almost like a beak.
    I have wide shoulders as well and used to have a lot of pain with overhead lifts. Forget about attempting anything resembling a good pull-up too. Anyway, I've gotten past a lot of the issues with deep tissue massage. My massage therapist works on my shoulders for about 15 or 20 minutes every two weeks.

You need to go to someone who knows what they are doing and can loosen up the muscles and help realign the tendons. I'm not a masseuse, so it's hard for me to describe what she does. Basically, she works the blood out of the muscles and helps the tendons work back to a more natural position, if that makes sense. She also helps increase my ROM and decrease the pain in hitting the impingement.

Reading that over, I think I confused myself. So, hopefully you can make sense of it.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/09/2010 6:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Russ. My glucose and fasting blood sugar was slightly elevated, I don't remember the numbers offhand, but the cholesterol was a more pronounced problem. I was prescribed cholesterol pills, told to watch my diet, and I'm going to have more lab work done in about 3 weeks.
    With the disclaimer that you should listen to your doctors, not me... the reason I'm focused on the insulin resistance is because it may very well be up the chain of causality of your unfavourable cholesterol ratio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2010 8:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tai chi, silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am also a fan of deep tissue massage and for good reason as I own a Thai thraditional massage shop in Chiang Mai. Massage has helped a great deal with shoulder problem although the massage itself is quite painful. However, I find that afterwards I have a much greater range of motion. Hwever, despite all this I still avoid overhead presses.