Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 10:11am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    So you are saying that the ONLY real reason that all of these WC people suck balls is that THEY suck balls? So WC is only attractive to people who are already predisposed to sucking?
    I'm not interpreting it like that...but rather I think it is easy to blame wing chun if you suck...rather than taking a hard look at how you are training. Not to say wing chun isn't a big factor...but probably not the only one.

I always here stories here about guys who have trained wing chun for several years...then at some point come to the realization that what they are learning, or how they are training doesn't work. That is a cop out in my opinion. It's like taking swimming lessons for 3 years on land and never really jumping into a pool to see if they work. If you went three years believing what you are told, and not testing what some teacher tells you, you are not being an educated consumer and I've got little pity for your sob stories.

The biggest reason I believe what my Wing Chun sifu tells me is that I have verified for myself many of the things he has taught and explained to me in class. I know what I can make work and what I can't (insert bong sau here)...and I know that not from what he TOLD me I can make work, but because I've practiced making things work against people who want to punch and kick me.

So...this idea that "after 3 years I realize it sucks"...should really be..."after 3 years I finally tried some of the stuff that I was learning, and realized that it wasn't working for me so I moved on to another art"...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 10:28am

Style: karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell View Post
    chainpunch doesnt really graSP his own phail yet.
    and thats okay.
    its tolerance thursday today.
    didn't you get the memo. tolerance thursday has been moved to next wednesday.
    sorry i thought every one knew.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 10:47am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: San shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chainpunch View Post
    Seriously we can all say Wing Chun is an unproven method as far as we can see it today. To argue otherwise is fruitless.

To say "I sucked because of Wing Chun" is being dishonest with yourself. You can blame your teacher, youtube, your parents but you are still the most important variable. Even though there are many bad Wing Chun schools its still no excuse. In Wing Chun you are taught the principles and if the actions dont match what you recite then you are clearly in the wrong.
    We can argue until we're both covered in piss, but we'll get nowhere. Maybe it is my fault, maybe I didn't practice the bong sau enough, or my siu nim tau was sloppy, but it didn't work for me. The anecdote I used with my little brother was more illustrative and for humor than serious. I hope you don't think, despite having gone through the American college system, that I would abandon three years of training because I couldn't intercept one punch from a 14 year old. I've known for a long time that my chun, as I know it and practice it, didn't work for me, which isn't to say I haven't learned valuable things, but I stay because of the relationships I've developed with the people there and because I'm leaving in just over a month anyway.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 10:52am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: San shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    So...this idea that "after 3 years I realize it sucks"...should really be..."after 3 years I finally tried some of the stuff that I was learning, and realized that it wasn't working for me so I moved on to another art"...
    I'm not saying after three years I realized it sucked. As I said in a previous post, the anecdote was more illustrative and meant for humor than an honest epiphany I had at that moment. I know some of what I'm learning works. I've tested it. But when we spar, we don't use a whole lot of bong saus and the like.

This is a YMAS thread, I didn't mean to turn it into wing chun apologetics (inb4 LURK MOAR). All I'm saying is, I learned more through sanshou sparring than siu nim tau.

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 11:24am

Style: 5x5, 5.56mm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained WC for around 2 and a half years and WT for about the same. I realised that both systems sucked and that I sucked for devoting so much time to them both.

I was to blame for not asking enough questions and not being critical of my instructors, it doesn't stop the Chun from sucking though.

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 11:34am

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any way you slice it, if you spend 3 years boxing, doing BJJ or Judo, you'll be a hell of a lot more competent fighter than when you started. Even in you are a complete idiot.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 11:38am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MBriefcase View Post
    I'm not saying after three years I realized it sucked. As I said in a previous post, the anecdote was more illustrative and meant for humor than an honest epiphany I had at that moment. I know some of what I'm learning works. I've tested it. But when we spar, we don't use a whole lot of bong saus and the like.

This is a YMAS thread, I didn't mean to turn it into wing chun apologetics (inb4 LURK MOAR). All I'm saying is, I learned more through sanshou sparring than siu nim tau.
    Totally understand and I apologize if I was too harsh. It's just that I've literally seen dozens of these types of stories over the past several years and tend have a low threshold for excuses with regards to what people get out of training.

If you were aware of the limitations and continued training for other reasons there is nothing wrong w/ that in my opinion.

Glad you found something you like and is more functional for you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 11:43am

Style: Boxing, Rowing Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chainpunch View Post
    Now how could someone who is clueless after 3 years of style x become ahead of the cure in style y?

look around, lots of people use the "chun" excuse. "hey, I sucked while doing Wing Chun and now after taking an AWSOME style everyone can fight well in I am amature at best!" :psyduck:
    I tried putting this through Yahoo! translator but I still have no idea what you're on about. English, please. Or french. Thanks.

Stu xD

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 4:23pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    So you are saying that the ONLY real reason that all of these WC people suck balls is that THEY suck balls? So WC is only attractive to people who are already predisposed to sucking?

My statement is in response to the OP. I though his excuse was bs and it turns out he was making a funny haha you got owned by your 14yr old bro yeah WC must really suck.

A good reason why WC has a lot of sucky people could be the fact that people dont train up to fight in contest. There are sucky people in all styles but the sport oriented styles have many proven people to look up to and verify to them that they might do well if they can reach similar levels.

Maybe WC is completely useless or maybe its not looked at honestly. Just about every honest discussion about WC seriously questions whether or not it can do what it claims. I can accept that debate. Generalizations and humor aside I can expect what the facts allude to but I can still spot horse ****.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 4:27pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu-Jitsu View Post
    I tried putting this through Yahoo! translator but I still have no idea what you're on about. English, please. Or french. Thanks.

Stu xD
    Yes, I saw a typo but did not realize it would still be difficult to understand.

I contend that most sucky people do no better than average (if that) when given a superior martial art style.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast